RC Enthusiast

Good brushless motor/esc combo?

Found this combo, 85$ seems reasonable but idk how good it is or if anyone’s using it. Also what do you do about the iD plugs if you have all traxxas iD batteries?

Onyx 1/10 4P 4000Kv ESC/Motor Combo ONXS0501

I have never tried that, so others may know more than me about that.

However, some Hobbywing combos are on sale right now at Amain (Black Friday weekend and all that stuff). The Hobbywing Max 10 EzRun 3300kv is around the same price:
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbywi...010203/p713296

The 4000kv isn't on sale, but will be much faster compared to the 3300kv:
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbywi...010204/p713297

Here is the link to the Traxxas ESC plug: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Con...sAAOSwwppd4Xxk

There are plenty of other options, but these are just a few that I found. If you want to take a look, here is the link to all Hobbywing stuff: https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbywing/b905 (look at the ones on sale)

I think you can also take an additional 15% off, so it might be worth it to check it out. Here is Amain's home page if you want to check it out: https://www.amainhobbies.com

Hopefully this helps!

(Edit: Now that I reread it, I kinda sound like a salesperson... but I assure you I'm not, lol . I brought this up, because I got the XR8 3660 4300kv combo for approx 24% off)
    Last edited by RCWilly; 11-28-2020 at 06:13 PM.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

On my 2x4 I put a castle 4600kv and a mamba x esc... A bit spendy but what lhs had and was a kit... I've yet to tune it with castle card. Thing flys and I run out of space to see top speed. Or the front end keeps lifting off ground it's a wheelie monster. With 2.8 badlands on all 4. With a 8000mha 3s 120c

Easily hitting the 40 to 50mph range. Temps always under 160 on motor. 14p. Forget spur may be a 90?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shaqueezy View Post
    Found this combo, 85$ seems reasonable but idk how good it is or if anyone’s using it. Also what do you do about the iD plugs if you have all traxxas iD batteries?

Onyx 1/10 4P 4000Kv ESC/Motor Combo ONXS0501
    I used to use this system when it was called the kinexsis 4000kv, but it was rebranded. It is really good for the money. You can get an adapter from EC3 to traxxas or you could cut it off and solder on a traxxas connector. If you are looking for something for more long term use though, I would recommend getting the Castle Creations Sidewinder 4 with 3800kv motor. It is also called the sidewinder 4 SCT edition. I am running it in my stampede right now, and it runs cool and with a 5200mah battery, I get 1.5 to 2 hour run times. For this system, you will need to know how to solder though, but that will let you choose whatever connector you want.
    Who needs coffee when you have a 10KV+ capacitor?

RC Enthusiast
    Amazon has a cyber Monday deal on this motor esc combo “ GoolRC 2435 4800KV 4P Sensorless Brushless Motor with 25A Brushless ESC” only 30 bucks and seems
    To have good reviews. Worth giving it a shot for 30$?
    Not sure if it’s the right size for a 1/10 rustler

They also have this one for 56$ but if I’m going to get close to 85-100 I’d just get the sidewinder set. “ GoolRC Waterproof Brushless Motor 3660 3800KV, 60A ESC Combo Set for 1/10 RC Car Truck”
    Last edited by Shaqueezy; 11-29-2020 at 03:44 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I can speak from experience with Amazon and RC parts; sometimes a deal is literally too good to be true. Some of the brands they carry are pretty sketchy, so make sure you research it first. I've heard good things about both Onyx and Castle motor setups, but I don't know a ton about either one. From what I've heard they're both pretty reputable, though.

Quote Originally Posted by KennethMiller19 View Post
    I can speak from experience with Amazon and RC parts; sometimes a deal is literally too good to be true. Some of the brands they carry are pretty sketchy, so make sure you research it first.
    I can second that, some stuff on Amazon are a bit sketchy. Found a Black Friday deal on 5 pinion gears for $10. Thought that was too good to be true, but decided to try my luck. The pinions technically work but are extremely heavy, and aren't machined very well, so definitely do be aware of that.

RC Enthusiast
    Gotcha, yah Im in no rush to pull the trigger on a brushless motor but i saw that and thought it was worth taking a look. I did find a deal on a 16t traxxas brand pinion gear so I picked that up. Hardly any good brand named cyber monday deals though.

They do have a good bit of high torque servos on sale but I have no idea what to look for as far as specs go to replace the XL-5 2WD servo.
    Last edited by Shaqueezy; 11-30-2020 at 02:41 PM.

RC Qualifier
    [Typewriter noises] . . . Somewhere in the Eastwest . . .
    I have heard good things about cheapo motors, just be aware that a lot of them are what is called a "540FN" motor, because they have a 540 sized case, but have a 380 rotor and use the fins to make it look larger. There is nothing majorly wrong with this as long as you are aware of it, and it is still supposed to be an upgrade over a Titan.

The ESCs however are known to be... hit and miss of extremely cheap (commonly China based) brands of ESC such as Gool RC. I have heard several positive reviews of Kinexis systems.

Be aware that you will have to solder on a connector for many aftermarket systems.

I have purchased a Mamba X 3800kv combo, and now am waiting for a schedule break to be able to find out about soldering locally. I have not been able to use it because there is no connector, but I can tell you that the build quality of the product seems to be absolutely stellar. Castle Creations also has a very good reputation for quality, and customer service, which was very important to me.
    LONG LIVE THE PROFESSOR! Rest in peace, Mr. Peart.

Quote Originally Posted by Is_It_Broken? View Post
    I have heard good things about cheapo motors, just be aware that a lot of them are what is called a "540FN" motor, because they have a 540 sized case, but have a 380 rotor and use the fins to make it look larger. There is nothing majorly wrong with this as long as you are aware of it, and it is still supposed to be an upgrade over a Titan.

The ESCs however are known to be... hit and miss of extremely cheap (commonly China based) brands of ESC such as Gool RC. I have heard several positive reviews of Kinexis systems.

Be aware that you will have to solder on a connector for many aftermarket systems.

I have purchased a Mamba X 3800kv combo, and now am waiting for a schedule break to be able to find out about soldering locally. I have not been able to use it because there is no connector, but I can tell you that the build quality of the product seems to be absolutely stellar. Castle Creations also has a very good reputation for quality, and customer service, which was very important to me.
    I enjoy my castle 4600kv and mamba x on my rustler.

Your lhs may be able to solder for you. Or just go get a good 80w iron and learn to do it. Not hard.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Is_It_Broken? View Post

Yah leaning towards the castle creations sv3 3800kv. Its about 120$ if you get the matching motor rod size for the gears I have, although I found multiple 5 star reviews on the Onyx 4000kv esc combo with nothing but good things to say, and its significantly less at 85$

As bad as I want it Im in need of new tires, my rear shock tower broke, and I bottom out waaay too much so big bore shocks are high on my list. Whats the point of brushless power if i dont have the traction lol

Yah leaning towards the castle creations sv3 3800kv. Its about 120$ if you get the matching motor rod size for the gears I have, although I found multiple 5 star reviews on the Onyx 4000kv esc combo with nothing but good things to say, and its significantly less at 85$

As bad as I want it Im in need of new tires, my rear shock tower broke, and I bottom out waaay too much so big bore shocks are high on my list. Whats the point of brushless power if i dont have the traction lol
    Big Bore shocks are exactly the same as stock shocks, except its aluminum instead of plastic. You can change to thicker shock oil and stiffer springs to prevent the car from bottoming out. If you want to change to better shocks, then GTR shocks are a much better option. They hold much more oil, have threaded shock bodies for fine-tuning, and have many different pistons and springs for even more adjustability (VG Racing springs tend to be stiff, TLR TENSCTE springs are fairly soft, the stock is somewhat in the middle).

RC Qualifier
    [Typewriter noises] . . . Somewhere in the Eastwest . . .
    If you are going for one of the Sidewinder Systems, I strongly recommend you go for the SW4, because they greatly improved the temperature control of the ESC (through new software, and I believe a fan), and it is not much more expensive. I have not heard much about the newer Onyx systems, though have heard good things about some of their older products. I recommend you run that system (not with the kv, just the name on the Onyx/Duratrax site) plus the word "forum" through a search engine to find reviews.

If you do change the shocks, go for the GTR's or a different brand. RazorRC22 has run TLR (Team Losi Racing) shocks with success, several have used an Associated big bore (describing the Inner Diameter of the shock), FlyingTigerDad and Synnergy come to mind, and FTD has recently switched to a Kashima(not sure on spelling, it is a Fox brand thing) shocks. Several have used the STRC shock bodies with great success for a stock size upgrade preferable to the Big Bores for performance, but STRC is closed due to the pandemic currently.

A strongly recommended budget conscious option is to get Aluminum (or Aluminium, depending upon location) shock caps and the Traxxas Titanium Nitride (TiN, not TiNi. Two completely different things.) coated shafts, along with springs (if needed. They are getting difficult to find.), and get a variety of shock oils to experiment with.

The first thing to do is to try upping the oil rate in your shocks, probably to something around 40wt. The last option is what I would do if upgrading my shocks. Also, replace the shock tower with the same Traxxas part, because it is cheap, and then upgrade when it breaks.
    LONG LIVE THE PROFESSOR! Rest in peace, Mr. Peart.

Some of the STRC parts are in stock at Amain:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/st-raci...3765xs/p166132

https://www.amainhobbies.com/st-raci...3766xs/p166136

I run the STRC aluminum shock bodies and Traxxas aluminum shock caps on my Slash 2wd (still stock shock shafts, haven't bent for me yet), and they are very smooth. The shock bodies are machined nicely, and the adjuster fits perfectly on the shock (snug, but not tight, and are smooth when adjusting as well). One thing to keep in mind though, the titanium nitride shafts and aluminum caps and bodies have nearly the same cost as the GTR shocks, so the GTRs may offer more for value.

Dampening-wise, the GTR shocks are better due to their design and larger oil capacity, so they are ideal for jumps and racing. With that said, the STRC shocks also perform much better than stock. It reduces friction, wears out much less than the stock, and looks much better than plastic ones, so you can't really go wrong with either of them.