RC Competitor

TRX-4 newbie needs advises

Hi guys. I decided to work on a project during the Christmas period, and try to get my 9 year old son, into the RC hobby. Bought myself a TRX-4 Chassis Kit, which is still in the post (will probably get it sometime next week).

I prefered to go for the kit rather the RTR model, to go through the building process with my son and get to know the mechanics of the chassis in the process.

This is my first hobby grade RC. I'm thinking to mount a TRC Defender D110 Hard Body on it and gradually build a Camel Trophy lookalike RC.

I contacted Traxxas support about the wheelbase issue, because the body has 334mm wheelbase, and was told that no extra components are required to fit the chassis. Did I understand that correctly?

Also since I'm a first timer, I really have no clue about the painting process and works best. I'm thinking to get some cans of Tamiya TS-34, which is for plastic, not lexan. Will that work? Any tips to not mess things up?

Also was wandering where to get the wheels that came with that limited edition TRX-4 Tan Defender or something similar that I could paint.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm kinda lost trying to figure everything out, order them and actually have them on time for Christmas.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by xagoras View Post
    Hi guys. I decided to work on a project during the Christmas period, and try to get my 9 year old son, into the RC hobby. Bought myself a TRX-4 Chassis Kit, which is still in the post (will probably get it sometime next week).

I prefered to go for the kit rather the RTR model, to go through the building process with my son and get to know the mechanics of the chassis in the process.

This is my first hobby grade RC. I'm thinking to mount a TRC Defender D110 Hard Body on it and gradually build a Camel Trophy lookalike RC.

I contacted Traxxas support about the wheelbase issue, because the body has 334mm wheelbase, and was told that no extra components are required to fit the chassis. Did I understand that correctly?

Also since I'm a first timer, I really have no clue about the painting process and works best. I'm thinking to get some cans of Tamiya TS-34, which is for plastic, not lexan. Will that work? Any tips to not mess things up?

Also was wandering where to get the wheels that came with that limited edition TRX-4 Tan Defender or something similar that I could paint.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm kinda lost trying to figure everything out, order them and actually have them on time for Christmas.
    Trx4 builders kit comes with the shorter wheelbase which means most normal bodies will fit. The standard defender is longer wheelbase so you'd need the extension kit to make it fit, unless you can find a shell that matches the sport wheelbase.

I have some of these ony defender https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-1-9....m46890.l49292

The wheelbase of the hardbody is 334mm, and the wheelbase of the kit TRX-4 (in stock form) is 312mm. Even if you get extended rear links to make it the longer wheelbase (324mm) it's still a full centimeter short of the body, so a little more modding is required to make it fit (either cut the body - not recommended, or find a way to extend the wheelbase more). Traxxas makes a 110 Defender body in Lexan, so you might want to look into that. I would also say that Lexan is much easier to paint than hard plastic. You have to sand the body, prime it, and paint the hardbody in multiple pieces, while the Lexan just needs to be painted on the inside. However, hardbodies do make the truck look very realistic. It's completely up to you for which body to get, just an FYI.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Competitor
    In the description, Traxxas mentions 4 different wheelbase dimensions (300 mm, 312 mm, 324 mm, 336 mm). I'm talking about this kit --> https://traxxas.com/products/models/...kit?t=features

It's not the Sport kit.

It depends on how you build the kit. You can adjust the placement of the links and shocks to alter the wheelbase of the car, making it 300mm, 312mm, 324mm, and 336mm. It depends on how you assemble the car.

I'm not sure which Defender 110 hardbody you want, but there are some different choices out there, but depending on the wheelbase of the body, you can adjust the wheelbase to fit.

For hardbodies, you want to use tamiya TS paint, for Lexan you want to use PS because PS is flexible and won't flake off like TS on lexan,

But for a hardbody, you want TS.
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

RC Competitor
    I'm looking at the Team Raffee Co Defender D110 body. I can find it in 2 different versions. One with 313mm wheelbase that should probably fit better, and one with 334 Wheelbase which is older but has a full interior, more details and bits and pieces on it.

I know it would be wise to go for the 313mm option, but the 334mm one is really tempting.

RC Competitor
    Any idea how much paint it will need? I've seen 100ml spray cans from Tamiya, but no idea what surface they can cover. Will it be enough for this body?

RC Champion
    I'm looking at the Team Raffee Co Defender D110 body. I can find it in 2 different versions. One with 313mm wheelbase that should probably fit better, and one with 334 Wheelbase which is older but has a full interior, more details and bits and pieces on it.

I know it would be wise to go for the 313mm option, but the 334mm one is really tempting.
    This body shell:

RC Champion
    Any idea how much paint it will need? I've seen 100ml spray cans from Tamiya, but no idea what surface they can cover. Will it be enough for this body?
    I think you need two cans of the principal colour and one for the details.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    This body shell:

Yeah similar, but the closed version, not the truck version.

In the description, Traxxas mentions 4 different wheelbase dimensions (300 mm, 312 mm, 324 mm, 336 mm). I'm talking about this kit --> https://traxxas.com/products/models/...kit?t=features

It's not the Sport kit.
    Ah, ok. Then you would probably have to move the rear shocks to the most rear position in order to make that fit.

As for the paint, I'm not really sure how much you need, but I imagine you would need at least 2 cans (if they are the same amount as the Tamiya Ps paints). You would need the primer and some sandpaper as well.

Here is the link to what I am referencing for painting the hard body: https://www.rccaraction.com/wp-conte...-Hard-Body.pdf

I think 2 cans is good, but I would go with 3 to be safe.
    But you'll also need 3 cans of primer.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    Ah, ok. Then you would probably have to move the rear shocks to the most rear position in order to make that fit.

As for the paint, I'm not really sure how much you need, but I imagine you would need at least 2 cans (if they are the same amount as the Tamiya Ps paints). You would need the primer and some sandpaper as well.

Here is the link to what I am referencing for painting the hard body: https://www.rccaraction.com/wp-conte...-Hard-Body.pdf
    Excellent doc, mate.

RC Competitor

This is the body I'm talking about. I ended up ordering 4 cans Camel Yellow, 2 cans of Black, 2 cans of Sand Tan and 3 Cans of Primer, just in case. There's a lot of smaller parts that need to be painted.

I'll probably do the body and rims Yellow and the interior Black and Tan.

That looks a lot like the 1/8 defender from Bangood: https://www.banggood.com/Double-E-E1...r_warehouse=HK

I could be wront, but the amount of paint you ordered should be enough.

RC Competitor
    Yeah looks similar.

RC Competitor
    Anyone knows of some decent 1.9'' tires with thinner profile than the stock TRX tires? I want to go for that original Camel Trophy look tires, but not give too much away performance-wise. And some advise on what insert foams to use would be great, since it's going to get quite heavy when finished.

EDIT: I found these --> https://www.teamraffeeco.com/boom-ra...old&order=DESC, but can't figure out how many there are in this set. 2? 4?
    Last edited by xagoras; 12-01-2020 at 06:07 PM.

There are several "Class 1" tires (4.19" outer diameter instead of 4.75") that look scale accurate:

Proline BFG Krawler: https://www.amainhobbies.com/proline...4386?v=1221633

Proline BFG KM3 (I have the 4.75" version in G8, grips very well on loose terrain, as well as rocks):

Proline also makes the KO2s (they are not class one, but have 4.35" outer diameter): https://www.amainhobbies.com/proline...07594?v=505854

RC4WD Makes 1.9 tires as well (be aware that all of them have different outer diameters, so some may have a thicker sidewall than stock): https://store.rc4wd.com/19-Tires_c_83.html

(btw, the link doesn't work for me, it just brings me to the "This Site Can't Be Reached" page)

For tire selection, it really depends on the terrain you plan on driving on, and the looks you want. In my opinion, the Proline KM3 is a good balance between overall performance and scale looks.

Hope this helps!

RC Competitor
    Not sure about the link. I right-click and works for me.

Here's a photo from the site there (not that answers how many they actually include in the set )

I'll dig into those proposal you made me. Thanks a lot

RC Enthusiast
    Anyone knows of some decent 1.9'' tires with thinner profile than the stock TRX tires? I want to go for that original Camel Trophy look tires, but not give too much away performance-wise. And some advise on what insert foams to use would be great, since it's going to get quite heavy when finished.

EDIT: I found these --> https://www.teamraffeeco.com/boom-ra...old&order=DESC, but can't figure out how many there are in this set. 2? 4?
    It looks like you get a set of 4 tires and foams. The photo shows 4 and they also put the (4) into the description.
    Reinhard

RC Competitor
    I ended up ordering 3 sets of these --> https://store.rc4wd.com/Dirt-Grabber...res_p_216.html

They seems very good for the purposes I want them and they have some good comments for their performance.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
    That looks a lot like the 1/8 defender from Bangood: https://www.banggood.com/Double-E-E1...r_warehouse=HK

I could be wront, but the amount of paint you ordered should be enough.
    This model is a silly monster, hahahaha.

RC Competitor
    I have another question. I came across some earth magnets that are used for mounting the body. Any idea what size would be sufficient for it? I know it will be on the heavy side, but I have no clue how strong these magnets are, and what size to get.

RC Champion
    I have another question. I came across some earth magnets that are used for mounting the body. Any idea what size would be sufficient for it? I know it will be on the heavy side, but I have no clue how strong these magnets are, and what size to get.
    If is a neodimium magnet, with 1 centimeter diameter is enough.

RC Competitor
    My understanding is that the higher the number after the letter N, the stronger the magnet is? Correct?

RC Champion
    My understanding is that the higher the number after the letter N, the stronger the magnet is? Correct?
    That is correct, you're OK.

Yes, but most neodymium magnets have around the same magnetism, you'll just want the right size. You'll want magnets a little larger than 1cm in diameter, I've found that 1cm is too small, especially on heavy bodies like hardbodies.

RC Competitor
    I ordered some 15mm countersunk ring magnets from a local store. Hope they are up to the task. I think I'm all set now. Just waiting everything to get through the post.

You guys have been super helpful. Thanks for all the help and advises.