RC poster

UDR ESC or Motor problem?

Hi all, new here.

So, got my UDR. First run yesterday. Running it on a pair of gens ace 6500 60c 3s packs and for some reason its seems like its only ever reaching about half speed. I have the GPS module in it and I'm only getting 55kph (31ish mph)

Now, I've seen plenty of youtube vids with stock 6s UDRs getting 50+mph so obviously i have a problem.

I've tried resetting the speed control into sport mode, tried recalibrating it, even tried turning the training mode throttle up to 100% to check if it was stuck in training mode, pulled the body off to check all the connections and checked the driveline for drag! Nothing made any difference at all

Anyone have any ideas?

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like a warranty issue. Traxxas models come pre-set to sport mode in the box, and you already checked for training mode. I don't have any other trouble shooting options for you. 60C batteries definitely shouldn't be holding you back.

To make a warranty claim, Traxxas will likely want your UDR's serial number and a copy of your receipt. I'd give them a call or email asking about it.

Let us know what happens. Good luck getting it sorted out.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
    Sounds like a warranty issue. Traxxas models come pre-set to sport mode in the box, and you already checked for training mode. I don't have any other trouble shooting options for you. 60C batteries definitely shouldn't be holding you back.

To make a warranty claim, Traxxas will likely want your UDR's serial number and a copy of your receipt. I'd give them a call or email asking about it.

Let us know what happens. Good luck getting it sorted out.
    Will definitely be a warranty issue. 60c 6500s should be more then enough I'd think.

Where do i find said UDR serial number? The box has gone away so i hope not there.

I've emailed traxxas letting them know about the problem and emailed the hobby shop I bought it from. Being in Australia It'd be quicker for the hobby shop to help which, so far, they are very helpful.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    2 places to find the serial number, one easy, the other hard. The easy one is a sticker inside of the battery tray. Being that yours is so new, it shouldn't be rubbed off yet. Mine is totally rubbed off.

If it is rubbed off, then you have to go the harder route, which is under the ESC. As in you have to remove the ESC to find it.

Unfortunately if your hobby shop can't solve the problem for you, they'll probably refer you back to Traxxas. However, I've had a hobby shop take a good part out of an in-stock model to replace my bad part. Then the hobby shop did the warranty claim on "their" bad part and they earned a lifelong customer. Hopefully your shop will be as cool.

RC poster
    Oh sweet thats easy to find. Thanks!

Its in the battery tray good as new. Always wondered what that sticker was on traxxas models.

The hobby shop are happy to send me the component thats the problem if i can be sure that its the ESC or motor. The motor seems fine low end power but just doesn't rev as it should so I'm guessing ESC? I can't be 100% sure though.

RC Qualifier
    The only way I know to tell is to swap in / out good parts and test. I don't have enough of an electronic background or the tools to go further than that.

Maybe the shop will send an entire motor / ESC set-up if you send them both?

Traxxas will probably make a decision based upon what you tell them, and just send you a replacement of whichever part they think has failed.

RC poster
    Yeah thats about the only way i can think of to know for sure too. Electronics are way too complicated for me these days.

Hobby shop thinks its the ESC too from what I've told them. Waiting on a reply to see if they're sending a new one or what. If it happens to be the motor I'll just replace it with a castle.

RC Competitor
    In my experience traxxas warranty is terrible so I wouldn’t 100 percent count on them but you could try.

I would open up the esc and check if all of the soldering is good

RC poster
    Hobby shop sorted it out with traxxas and have already sent me brand new ESC.

Hopefully it fixes the issue

RC poster
    UPDATE!

The new ESC showed up today. Fixed!!
    Now its what i expected it to be. Went for a quick test on my concrete with half charged packs and it'll now stand on the back wheels, did not do that before.

I guess it wasn't sending all the power to the motor or something stupid.

The hobby shop was extremely helpful and have gained a supporter for life. So if you're in Australia and need parts i can't recommend hobbiesdirect.com.au enough!
    Legends!

RC Competitor
    Thatís awesome nothing better then when you spend all this time and money working on your truck and then it works.

I live in the US but it sounds extremely fun to drive one in Australia

RC poster
    Well that didn't last long. ESC has red lights of death. Pathetic traxxas ESC!

Time for a mamba monster.

RC Qualifier
    That's unfortunate. Sorry to hear your UDR has been such a lemon. They really are a fun truck once they're running reliably, and most people's experience with them has been that they are a reliable truck.

A Castle set up will be a nice upgrade though. Hopefully that'll get you into the zone my UDR has been in; battery pack after battery pack of fun, with no failures.

RC Competitor
    That sucks

My udr has been the biggest pain. I have spent so much money and it still finds ways to break. I would like to see traxxas use their heads and make a udr durable. I have a stampede Bigfoot and I have bashed it so hard and I’ve maybe spent 100$ on it and it now is a beast.