RC Racer

New ramp try out. (Sorry no action shots)

Finally ran the X-Maxx on my new ramp last night. It was on the back garden, so very gentle.
    I was surprised how well the X-Maxx jumped at the slower speeds. I suspect there's only around 5 yards run up & 10 yards of lawn for landing, but it was still hitting at least 6 to 8 foot of height.

Only thing I need to sort, the nose kept dipping down. I'm guessing I'm either being a bit gentle with the throttle while on the ramp or the rear shocks need thicker fluid to stop the back end bouncing up off the ramp. I'm still running stock on the shocks, so this could well be the issue.

If you give it some throttle in the air. It will bring nose up and brake to bring nose down.

I've found that some ramps have a ideal speed to get a good luanch. And some you want to be off throttle before you hit the ramp, and some you gotta be on throttle till you leave the ramp.

It's all about playing with it. But seems with the distance you have it's a bit short to really get on it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    The transition on this ramp is very similar to the old one I used to have for jumping the erevo.
    That used to leave the ramp nicely without needing much 'in flight' adjustment, unless you wanted to of course. Obviously the X-Maxx is a very different truck. Lol

Next time I run it I'll try what you suggest and work out if hitting the ramp on or off throttle makes a difference.
    Thinking about it, I suppose I could also try to film the truck on the ramp and watch the rear end, see if its bottoming out and throwing the back end up as it leaves the ramp.

I'd like a better launch for safer back yard bashing. I don't really want to be on the throttle all the time, I can see a broken fence being not to too away! Hold the trigger a fraction to long and it'll be through the fence and sat in the neighbours pond. I can't imagine repeated landing with over fast wheel speed to level it out, will be nice on the drive train either.

Could try playing with preloading the springs as well.

I found taking slowmo shots of my homemade ramp showed me how much it flexed and then bounced the rear end up. Since it had adjustable angles took a bit to learn the angle and what speed to hit it. As slow was fine but fast it would front flip.

RC Racer
    Looking good. Was it very easy to build?

I want something cheap and easy to take to the park, but ramps are weirdly expensive to buy and anything under 100 seems to be tiny.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    Could try playing with preloading the springs as well.
    There's quite a bit on the back, I wondered if that might be part of the issue. The droop is quite bad without though.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RJUK View Post
    Looking good. Was it very easy to build?

I want something cheap and easy to take to the park, but ramps are weirdly expensive to buy and anything under 100 seems to be tiny.

Honestly, its a piece of cake. I've made soooo many now over the years.
    When I get 5 minutes later this week I'll get some better photos and talk you through it.

Materials are very cheap

RC Racer
    Cheers! I've seen jumps in various YouTube videos that the X-maxx demolished, so I guess it needs to be decently strong.

RC Racer
    I think when a ramp is knocked up in half an hour without much thought, it ain't gonna be X-Maxx proof!
    Mine might not be yet, its early days!

https://www.freshpark.com/bmx-spinekit-253.html

Is what I use for ramps now and it is soild. I figured cheaper money wise to just buy vs time spendy making one.

Not much space in garage and I can strap into my rolling tote and walk it the 2 to 3 blocks to the local park.

I feel like wood ones like op made are to hard to strap down to my tote, to much garage spaces needed.... My folding wood staight ramp could not take the abuse.

https://tboneracing.net/products/tbr...ilt-for-basher

And perhaps the 1/10 one would work well for xmaxx.

There are a bunch of vids on how to make wood ones. If buying lumber about 50$ usd

Normally want length to be 2-3 time the length of the car min. Or more.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca 3 View Post
    Finally ran the X-Maxx on my new ramp last night. It was on the back garden, so very gentle.
    I was surprised how well the X-Maxx jumped at the slower speeds. I suspect there's only around 5 yards run up & 10 yards of lawn for landing, but it was still hitting at least 6 to 8 foot of height.

Only thing I need to sort, the nose kept dipping down. I'm guessing I'm either being a bit gentle with the throttle while on the ramp or the rear shocks need thicker fluid to stop the back end bouncing up off the ramp. I'm still running stock on the shocks, so this could well be the issue.
    Nice design, mate.