RC Racer

Rear bumper body saver mod.

Hi all

I'm a little confused by the rear body saver mod.
    If there's a 'U' shaped channel bolted to the rear bumper, won't the body shell still bend downwards quite a way, until it reaches the bottom of the channel?
    Is this the desired result so that there's still some flex in body?
    It looks as though the bottom of the channel would be better at the top of the bumper. That way the body could only bend downwards a few mm.

What am I missing please?
    Cheers

@ReglarGuy is the one to help you there..

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    No worries. I await wisdom.

Easy question. You want the front and back of your body to have as much give as it can, but only just under the amount of give that will produce a crease in your Xmaxx's body's front most (body brace) screws, and the back most (body brace) screws. The reason why you want to prevent these two creases, is because, once a crease forms at these two spots you're body will eventually split or crack there from "Friction Fatigue."

On the other side of the spectrum, you don't want your body not to be able to bend enough at these places either. If their is to little of a gap between your Xmaxx body's edges (front and rear), and your body restrictors; your body will be damaged due to your Xmaxx's body edges slamming onto the body restrictors during hard jumps or crashes.

So, the gap you want between your body and body restrictors should be enough to let your body bend as much as it needs to; to absorb energy...but...not to much of a gap where it produces creases around those body brace screws. Yes, you'll eventually start to see stress marks in those areas, but not to the point of producing creases.

That's why I'm not a big fan of the body washer or Shoe Goo thing. Body washers just move the splits and cracks from the edge of the screws to the edge of the washers, and the Shoe Goo thing just gives you more time before you develop splits and cracks. The only way you can eliminate any problem is by eliminating the cause. Body creases, cause body slits and cracks. No creases, no eventual splits and cracks. Your Honor, I rest my case. (lol)
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 12-01-2020 at 06:28 PM.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

RC Racer
    OK, thank you. That makes sense.
    So is there a sweet spot? Bottom of the bumper for example?
    I run the brute body currently and its so rigid its quite difficult to bend it past that point.

Yes, right there.

And, there.

If I remember right. The rear is 1/2" down, 3/4' across, and 1/2" up. The front is a little less than a 1/2" down and 3/4" across...I think. I'll take a look in the near future, and tell you positively.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 12-01-2020 at 06:39 PM.

I didn't see, until now, that you had a Brute body. There's a good chance you don't need to do anything like this, you having a Brute body and all. It wouldn't hurt anything if you did do this mod, but having a Brute body, I'd be surprised if you needed this mod. This mod, for sure, is geared more for the standard Traxxas bodies.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I didn't see, until now, that you had a Brute body. There's a good chance you don't need to do anything like this, you having a Brute body and all. It wouldn't hurt anything if you did do this mod, but having a Brute body, I'd be surprised if you needed this mod. This mod, for sure, is geared more for the standard Traxxas bodies.
    I think the "ReglarGuy front/rear body saver mod" is a must have for any bodies in the X-Maxx.

RC Racer
    I've grabbed a bit of rectangular alloy box section today and cut it into slightly different shaped U channels. No time to get any further though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca 3 View Post
    I've grabbed a bit of rectangular alloy box section today and cut it into slightly different shaped U channels. No time to get any further though.
    This is looking to be an option as well and at the two minute mark is where he starts showing what it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-p-Pa3mJPs

The link to buy it is in his video description or use this link:

https://rcbodyarmor.com/#251a6124-a3...c-fe4eaa70e2e8

I would put this on the X-Maxx body edges and use it with ReglarGuy's front/rear body saver mod.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 12-02-2020 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Added information.
    Sent from my autonomous device.

That idea looks like it would workout very well for keeping a body's edges from tearing, but wouldn't do anything for keeping the Xmaxx's body from cracking around the body's cage screws. I think doing both would workout really well, though.

RC Champion

That idea looks like it would workout very well for keeping a body's edges from tearing, but wouldn't do anything for keeping the Xmaxx's body from cracking around the body's cage screws. I think doing both would workout really well, though.
    I put a similar material in my body shell, is similar to the product used in car doors to protect the ext door line against hits.

RC Racer
    I wasn't going to update my finished build on this, it looked pretty much like the one pictured above.
    The only thing, when I removed one of the screws to fit the U channel, a lot of plastic came out with the screw. I guess it had been over tightened on production.
    Anyways, the outcome of this, the U channel has ripped out on 1 side.

Fix was easy enough, hopefully it will last better.
    Where the screws go in to hold the U channel into place, I've drilled all the way through now, using a 3.3mm drill bit. Next, pass a 4mm tap, starting in the existing threads, to tap the entire length of the hole.
    Finally, I found some longer bolts & put it all back together, holding a nut on to the outside of the bumper.
    As you can see in the pictures, the screws could ideally be about 2mm longer, but hopefully threadlock will keep it all in place.

RC Champion
    I wasn't going to update my finished build on this, it looked pretty much like the one pictured above.
    The only thing, when I removed one of the screws to fit the U channel, a lot of plastic came out with the screw. I guess it had been over tightened on production.
    Anyways, the outcome of this, the U channel has ripped out on 1 side.

Fix was easy enough, hopefully it will last better.
    Where the screws go in to hold the U channel into place, I've drilled all the way through now, using a 3.3mm drill bit. Next, pass a 4mm tap, starting in the existing threads, to tap the entire length of the hole.
    Finally, I found some longer bolts & put it all back together, holding a nut on to the outside of the bumper.
    As you can see in the pictures, the screws could ideally be about 2mm longer, but hopefully threadlock will keep it all in place.

Excellent my friend.

Looks good. That's what I did too. Then I painted the nuts black. Another thing that really strengthens that rear bumper area is putting in that RPM rear brace along with the stock brace. The RPM brace was really meant to replace the stock rear brace, but with a little trimming you can use both...really makes a big difference!

Painted Rear Bolts

Duel Rear Brace

Last edited by ReglarGuy; 12-24-2020 at 05:07 AM.

RC Champion
    Looks good. That's what I did too. Then I painted the nuts black. Another thing that really strengthens that rear bumper area is putting in that RPM rear brace along with the stock brace. The RPM brace was really meant to replace the stock rear brace, but with a little trimming you can use both...really makes a big difference!

Painted Rear Bolts

Duel Rear Brace

Outstanding.

RC Racer
    Is that a Stampede Wheelie bar I spy on there?

Stampede...bite your tongue. (lol) No, that's the wheelie bar from a Emaxx with aircraft wheels. When the Xmaxx first came out. It didn't have a wheelie bar or a RPM telemetry setup, so I made my own.

I revamped a Xmaxx wheelie bar too, but I like my Emaxx one better, because I can set my wheelie height to where I want.

RC Racer
    Nice.
    Honestly, it looks like the stampede one though. Maybe they share bits. Lol

You are a cruel cruel man, ChewChew. (lol)

RC Racer
    Lol. Merry Christmas dude.

Lol. Merry Christmas dude.
    You too, and have a Happy New Year!