RC Enthusiast

Newbie to RC bought new Hoss

New to the hobby looks like a good time so I ordered the new Hoss. Should be here tomorrow. Couple of questions. I already ordered the 5000mAh 11.1v 3-Cell 25C LiPo Batteries. to run it. But what other parts should I order? As in what commonly breaks. or what should I upgrade to try and enjoy it the most.

RC Enthusiast
    Axle shafts. Especially if you like the throttle. I have the 4x4 rustler. Essentially same drivetrain. I really enjoy it but a steel drive shafts are a must is you like to play hard. Wheelies and jumps even small ones can take out the plastic axles if not driven with care.

I drive like a jack off as my wife says and once I put mip x duty axles in its been awsome.

Have fun!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I would for sure get the new heavy duty axles that traxxas sells. Or the ones stated above. On 3s, the weight of the truck and tires will break the ears off your plastic shafts for sure. Ive seen many people post on here about this issue when the trucks first came out. I had this problem with my monster slash. It didnt take long for traxxas to make good shafts for that model.

Aluminum c-hubs, steering knuckles, and carrier bearings to have on hand would be beneficial. Maybe install a good set of shock towers as well as aluminum caps for the stock shocks if they don't already have them.

Being new to rc, you'll probably be fairly hard on the truck without realising it. Quick, sharp jabs on the throttle and staying in the throttle when you land a big jump are all things you'll learn not to do. These specifically will break your shafts.

Smacking a tree, or a curb, or maybe landing sideways and tumbling. These will be hard on your plastic hubs and they'll have a tendency to break at the thinner areas.

But keep in mind, aluminum might be pretty and strong, but some people don't like it. Aluminum can bend and it wont bend back without breaking. I haven't broken any aluminum parts and I run my slash on 3s quite hard..

Also putting aluminum parts on the truck will put more stress on the parts that are connected to the aluminum stuff, and can then consequently break those parts too. If you live in a place where its cold, traxxas plastics will break if you drive outside.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

Once you learn ths truck well enough, you could start changing diff fluids. And shock oil weights. Its a slippery slope though. It gets expensive.

RC poster
    I am new to the hobby as well and bought a Hoss as my first RC back in September. It's been a lot of fun. So far I have broken and replaced a front driveshaft, the plastic servo horn with a metal one, the plastic gears in the servo with metal, and the plastic wheel hubs with metal ones. I have plans to upgrade the servo to a more powerful one.

For me the whole run it, break it, fix it, is part of the fun. I built a jump for it and enjoy some bashing, and expect to break a few things along the way.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by North55 View Post
    I am new to the hobby as well and bought a Hoss as my first RC back in September. It's been a lot of fun. So far I have broken and replaced a front driveshaft, the plastic servo horn with a metal one, the plastic gears in the servo with metal, and the plastic wheel hubs with metal ones. I have plans to upgrade the servo to a more powerful one.

For me the whole run it, break it, fix it, is part of the fun. I built a jump for it and enjoy some bashing, and expect to break a few things along the way.
    I totally agree with the breaking of it and fixing it being part of the fun however here in North Dakota where I live the hobby shop here doesn't carry a lot of parts so I am at the mercy of the Internet and shipping. just wanted to have a few spares here so I could run it, break it, fix it and then order more parts.

Breaking axles is fun until it becomes an every run thing. Its not fun when you bust an axle 10 minutes into driving everytime you drive it.

Don't get me wrong though, I love working on vehicles. Sometimes i feel like working on these trucks is just the same. But like I said, its fun for a while until it becomes a problem. I was changing stubs and axles like it was my underwear with my monster slash. It got very old, very fast so I decided to get metal stubs and output yokes.

The amount of money i spent on those and all the axles ive broke, i could've just bought metal ones.