RC Competitor

Wheels are almost impossible to get off truck

Got a new x maxx 8s have owned almost every traxxas model and never had a wheel be so stubborn to get off the truck almost break parts just trying to remove wheels when doing maintenance are you guys filling a bit off of the inside of the rims to make it easier

RC Qualifier
    Never had that issue. Is it the wheel or just an unusual amount of loctite on the threads?
    Catch my videos at youtube.com/c/offworkhours

RC Competitor
    Lock nut had loctite on it from the factory the wheel nut comes off fine its getting the rim off the truck that's hard I mean you have to pull as hard as you can and wiggle it around to get it off

For me it is a bit of a jiggle back an forth to get the tires off in the hex nuts

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    I never have an issue when took off the wheels.

Up and Down if I won’t budge Left and Right. No matter what that will come off. Unless something is broken under it like the clip that holds the spindle it might be off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

Quote Originally Posted by Big androski View Post
    Lock nut had Loctite on it from the factory the wheel nut comes off fine its getting the rim off the truck that's hard I mean you have to pull as hard as you can and wiggle it around to get it off
    This is what I experienced too. You can heat up the Loctite, and use a 17mm socket/ratchet to get the nut off. As far as getting the wheel off the hub, yes, the first time was very hard for me too. Once off though, ream it until it goes on/off nice and easy. You'll be good after that. Also, I wouldn't file it, because it's a lot harder to keep your wheel's hole from becoming untrue.

If you ream your holes, you will want to use your reamer on the front and back of your holes to keep your all your holes the same diameter (as much as posable) all the way though. The best way to increase the size of your holes is to drill them out. To do that though, you will need a really good drill bit set. A set that lets you increase your hole's diameter a few thou at a time.

Last edited by ReglarGuy; 12-03-2020 at 04:40 AM.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

RC Competitor
    Ya thanks I'm doing this today it's a real pain when you almost break parts trying to get the wheels off

Not to mention that for a few days your food tastes kind of funny from all the cuss word residue left on you tongue.

RC Competitor
    Haha yea no kidding no drilled them out a tiny bit actually just with the drillbit in my hand all it took was a little material removed and all good now

RC Racer
    I hit the inside with a body reamer.

RC poster
    I had the same problem until I purchased the aluminum hubs and the wheels comes off easier. I think it has something to do with the plastic hex hub and the wheel hub bonding together from all the torque the truck produces. Not saying this is the solution just something that has worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 350gtr View Post
    I had the same problem until I purchased the aluminum hubs and the wheels comes off easier. I think it has something to do with the plastic hex hub and the wheel hub bonding together from all the torque the truck produces. Not saying this is the solution just something that has worked for me.
    That is a good potential solution too, 350. But, it's a lot more expensive then just drilling out your wheel's holes. I think it might also, depend, on the individual wheels and hubs of each person, because I have aluminum hubs too, and I still had to drill my wheel's holes out. It's definitely worth a shot, though, if a person doesn't mind spending the money.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 12-05-2020 at 06:23 AM.