Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RC Racer

I just bought a used Traxxas X-Maxx 6S and will be Rebuilding it and need input

I just picked up a Heavily Beat up Traxxas T-Maxx 6S for $200.00 from a friend so my adventure begins to Fully rebuild it. I will need some input from the Gurus on here as I am a Stampede and Slash guy that has been away for a bit . My friend offered it to me cheap since I always help him with projects.

I will post up pics of the Before and after as my journey goes. I was wanting ot clean it so I can at least drive it but man after taking some of it apart this thing is Fubard..lol

Questions:
    1. What type of grease for the diff
    2. What kind of oil and weight for the shocks front and rear
    3. Is it ok to clean these trucks with a hose. The diff and slipper where wet and I saw some rust in their. I am thinking it has been getting wet.
    4. What kind of ESC to upgrade to for 8S future runs. I will be running it in 6S for now and later buy batteries to get into the 8S arena.

I will follow up with some pics here.
    Last edited by TundraLu; 12-11-2020 at 11:24 PM.

RC Racer
    Not sure about the diff fluid but shock oil is 30 weight front and rear and I was my x maxx in the bathtub with the spray nozzle then use a air compressor to get any standing water off never had a issue it's all waterproof

I would upgrade the diffs to the is version. Not sure if just ring gear, or if it is the whole diff, cup and spider gears and output cups. Perhaps also the diff pinion. Since I need to replace one diff ring might as well make it 8s ready.

Max5 or max6 esc is what most aftermarket ecs ppl use. The 6s motor probably needs replaced if doing 8s. 6s is 1600kv. 8s is 1200kv.

The other upgrade is cush drive vs slipper clutch.

Diff grease can use wheel bearing grease of your wanted flavor. I like marine grease.

You can hose the car off no issue. Just gently so you don't force water into rx housing.

Might be time to service all the bearings,. Clean them and repack with grease. My flavor is Marine grease since I run in wet conditions.

Shock oil stock, with stock springs is 30wt. I run 60wt with 1.5 springs for heavy bashing.

Diff oil wt I really like 500k in mine right now. Wanna say stock is like 30k to 40k.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    8s diff gears
    8s tires
    1600kv motor is the best one
    Clean all / lube bearings
    2087x metal servo gears
    8s wheelie bar
    8s drive shafts /cvd’s

Enjoy
    fabricator

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    I would upgrade the diffs to the is version. Not sure if just ring gear, or if it is the whole diff, cup and spider gears and output cups. Perhaps also the diff pinion. Since I need to replace one diff ring might as well make it 8s ready.

Max5 or max6 esc is what most aftermarket ecs ppl use. The 6s motor probably needs replaced if doing 8s. 6s is 1600kv. 8s is 1200kv.

The other upgrade is cush drive vs slipper clutch.

Diff grease can use wheel bearing grease of your wanted flavor. I like marine grease.

You can hose the car off no issue. Just gently so you don't force water into rx housing.

Might be time to service all the bearings,. Clean them and repack with grease. My flavor is Marine grease since I run in wet conditions.

Shock oil stock, with stock springs is 30wt. I run 60wt with 1.5 springs for heavy bashing.

Diff oil wt I really like 500k in mine right now. Wanna say stock is like 30k to 40k.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyXMAXX View Post
    8s diff gears
    8s tires
    2087x metal servo gears
    8s wheelie bar
    8s drive shafts /cvd’s

Enjoy
    Totally agree with this.

RC Racer
    8s diff gears
    8s tires
    2087x metal servo gears
    8s wheelie bar
    8s drive shafts /cvd’s

Enjoy

Thanks guys for the replies. I just picked up some of these parts on Ebay for a good deal and the seller lived down the street so i got lucky. I also picked up 2 bodies at HobbyTown local and some more parts. Placed an order last night from Jenny's RC's as well for 8S tires, 8S axles, and other goodies .
    Last edited by TundraLu; 12-12-2020 at 04:11 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TundraLu View Post
    Thanks guys for the replies. I just picked up some of these parts on Ebay for a good deal and the seller lived down the street so i got lucky. I also picked up 2 bodies at HobbyTown local and some more parts. Placed an order last night from Jenny's RC's as well for 8S tires, 8S axles, and other goodies .
    Glad to read this, mate, post the pics mods when you finnish it.

RC Racer
    These are the things I got off eBay and HobbyTown so far. I socred a good deal on the body with a coupon .

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TundraLu; 12-12-2020 at 05:09 PM.

RC Racer
    8s diff gears
    8s tires
    2087x metal servo gears
    8s wheelie bar
    8s drive shafts /cvd’s

Enjoy
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    Glad to read this, mate, post the pics mods when you finnish it.

Yes sir will keep updating with pics and progress. Thanks for the info . Much appreciated.

RC Racer
    Well making some progress. I will be showing my whole chassis and gray parts black as I go. I also threw in a stampede 4x4VXL Chassis into the dye.

At the moment I am building the new rear diff with all the 8s upgraded parts.
    Last edited by TundraLu; 12-13-2020 at 01:02 AM.

RC Champion
    These are the things I got off eBay and HobbyTown so far. I socred a good deal on the body with a coupon .

Wow, love this Rock&Roll body shell.

Your last pic showing the rear diff. To me looks like the diff pinion needs shimming up towards the diff diff ring. Ideally. The pinion and diff ring gear are fully seated.

The pic shows only perhaps 1/4 of the diff pinion engaged with the ring gear.

Picture could show thing not in full alignment once putting covers on and so on. But things look off to me imho.

Is this the 6s diff and pinion or the 8s?

RC Champion
    Your last pic showing the rear diff. To me looks like the diff pinion needs shimming up towards the diff diff ring. Ideally. The pinion and diff ring gear are fully seated.

The pic shows only perhaps 1/4 of the diff pinion engaged with the ring gear.

Picture could show thing not in full alignment once putting covers on and so on. But things look off to me imho.

Is this the 6s diff and pinion or the 8s?

¿Maybe in this pic the diff is not completely sitted in his place?

RC Racer
    Juan you are correct. I just had it laying in their while gathering all my stainless screws. Trying to take notes on how many I will use. I have tons of stainless screws and will convert this truck to them as all the screws are covered in rust which is leaching to the plastic chassis. I have to run down to the hobby shop to get a front bulkhead as it is cracked. Here are some pics of where I am at today. The Rear bulkhead is done with the new torsion diff and new diff gears. I went with 100k in the rear diff to start .

RC Racer
    ¿Maybe in this pic the diff is not completely sitted in his place?
    What is a good servo upgrade for this Beast? I will put something stronger than the old stock plastic gear one. haha

RC Champion
    What is a good servo upgrade for this Beast? I will put something stronger than the old stock plastic gear one. haha
    I use a JX 46 kg servo, with a Traxxas 7749 adapter, even though you can use the GPM aluminum servo adapter if you can, a lot of mates in the forum use the PROMODELER servo, with adapter too, is the best overall, I left you the links.

JX servo:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...acat=0&_sop=15

PROMODELER servo:

https://www.promodeler.com/DS930BLHV

https://www.promodeler.com/DS630BLHV

Traxxas 7749 adapter:

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/7749

GPM adapter kit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GPM-alloy-s...UAAOSw2MFfO3YT

RC Racer
    I use a JX 46 kg servo, with a Traxxas 7749 adapter, even though you can use the GPM aluminum servo adapter if you can, a lot of mates in the forum use the PROMODELER servo, with adapter too, is the best overall, I left you the links.

JX servo:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...acat=0&_sop=15

PROMODELER servo:

https://www.promodeler.com/DS930BLHV

https://www.promodeler.com/DS630BLHV

Traxxas 7749 adapter:

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/7749

GPM adapter kit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GPM-alloy-s...UAAOSw2MFfO3YT
    Wow thanks for the recommendation s you are awesome. Man the addiction is real just picked up another Traxxas Xmaxx truck used with a ton of parts.

Ok on another note went to the hobby shop to get the bulkhead and am now dyuong the chasis and front bulkhead black iny crab pot. My wife is like wth are you doing .

Last edited by TundraLu; 12-13-2020 at 04:25 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Wow thanks for the recommendation s you are awesome. Man the addiction is real just picked up another Traxxas Xmaxx truck used with a ton of parts.

Ok on another note went to the hobby shop to get the bulkhead and am now dyuong the chasis and front bulkhead black iny crab pot. My wife is like wth are you doing .

Never thought I’d go to a fabric store to buy RIT dye, but here we are. Don’t know if anyone’s mentioned tires, but you’ll destroy those 6S tires quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Never thought I’d go to a fabric store to buy RIT dye, but here we are. Don’t know if anyone’s mentioned tires, but you’ll destroy those 6S tires quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes i read that so i ordered a Brand new set from JRC on Ebay from new 8S XMAXX. They are on their way .

RC Racer
    Here is the chasis with the new lower bulkhead and rear all died in black. Man it looks awesome now. Wow you cannot even tell this truck was used and abused. I got Sooany screws on my work table it looks like I am loosing track of where they go. No more beers for me.

I ordered 2 new bearing kits with the black bearings instead of the blue. Does anyone know the difference as it looks like the black are s higher grade.

I have been following squeegie and El Sob for s while now for my slash builds but have too many Slash and Stamped that I never finish them. This truck has me hooked and excited to run it so I will not quit until it is done. Man the motor looks like it is gone though.

Last edited by TundraLu; 12-13-2020 at 09:21 PM.

RC Racer
    Here is the stock 1600Kv motor in pieces after me taking it apart. It was running when I bought it but when I opened it up it smelled a little.

RC Champion
    motor Looks new
    Compared to any of mine
    Clean bearings and lube with royal oil
    Brushless motor bearing oil
    fabricator

motor Looks new
    Compared to any of mine
    Clean bearings and lube with royal oil
    Brushless motor bearing oil
    Yeah^ I don't see any problem with the motor, What you are spelling is probably the glue and other residues that were applied to the windings during production.
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

RC Champion
    Here is the stock 1600Kv motor in pieces after me taking it apart. It was running when I bought it but when I opened it up it smelled a little.

This motor looks very well.

RC Racer
    This motor looks very well.
    Ok just trying to see if i should order the Max5 or 6 ESC or the combo with the motor for future upgrade. I also see I need a motor mount to mount an aftermarket motor so it looks like WFO is out of them at this time. I will run this motor for now on 6s to see how the truck does. I haven't even driven an X-Maxx yet . The suspense is killing me. I just keep researching and ordering parts.
    Last edited by TundraLu; 12-14-2020 at 03:37 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Looks to be still available.

https://wforccustoms.com/products/wfo-motor-mount

In my opinion I’d go with max 5, you’ll always be ready for upgrade. I tried the max 6 and found it anemic, probably good for stock but if you eventually upgrade Max 5 all the way.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by afreek1000 View Post
    Looks to be still available.

https://wforccustoms.com/products/wfo-motor-mount

In my opinion I’d go with max 5, you’ll always be ready for upgrade. I tried the max 6 and found it anemic, probably good for stock but if you eventually upgrade Max 5 all the way.
    Ok I ordered a Max6 1650Kv combo for one of my trucks but i am thinking use the Max6 for the stock 1600Kv motor for now to at least finally drive it. I know everyone recommends the Max5 but then i have to modify the truck or get a plate to get it to work. I will do the heavy modding with my other Xmaxx 8s i just picked up. Ordered the WTO mount and driveshaft cups for both trucks as i am taking them apart the diff cups are jacked up.

I did find a local person on ebay that buy traxxas X-Maxx and parts them out. I ordered a lot of parts from him and received them in one day so he is way faster than JRC and just a little more expensive. Also ordered Avid Racing bearings for 2 trucks and some are in the Revolution version. Waiting for parts to continue on my build so will update with pics soon .
    Last edited by TundraLu; 12-15-2020 at 09:46 PM.

RC Champion
    Ok just trying to see if i should order the Max5 or 6 ESC or the combo with the motor for future upgrade. I also see I need a motor mount to mount an aftermarket motor so it looks like WFO is out of them at this time. I will run this motor for now on 6s to see how the truck does. I haven't even driven an X-Maxx yet . The suspense is killing me. I just keep researching and ordering parts.
    This 1600kv motor is designed for 6S, if you need to buy an ESC, buy the biggest you can, MAX5 overall, but MAX6 do the work too, I have it. As afreek1000 says, the WFO motor mount is in stock, is a good quality material.
    Last edited by Juanmacine; 12-16-2020 at 06:53 PM.

RC Racer
    This 1600kv motor is designed for 6S, if you need to buy an ESC, buy the biggest you can, MAX5 overall, but MAX6 do the work too, I have it. As afreek1000 says, the WFO motor mount is in stock, is a good quality material.
    Thanks I ordered the mount last night .

RC Champion
    Thanks I ordered the mount last night .
    mate

RC Racer
    Does anyone know how to fix the toe alignment on an Xmaxx? It looks like their is no adjustment. I have a new chassis, new front carriers , new steering arms and mounting to a new front bulkhead and the steering is straight on one tire and toed out on the right.

RC Champion
    Does anyone know how to fix the toe alignment on an Xmaxx? It looks like their is no adjustment. I have a new chassis, new front carriers , new steering arms and mounting to a new front bulkhead and the steering is straight on one tire and toed out on the right.
    I think is a common issue in the X-Maxx, mine has the same, but I buy a set of adjustable toes from GPM, like this:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...Desc=0&_sop=15

If you have a adjustable link from servo horn to servo saver you can adjust a little bit there and make it so slight toe out for both. Or adjust servo horn one or two tooth over.

Otherwise it is getting adjustable steering arms.

Could also be something not seated quite right..

RC Racer
    If you have a adjustable link from servo horn to servo saver you can adjust a little bit there and make it so slight toe out for both. Or adjust servo horn one or two tooth over.

Otherwise it is getting adjustable steering arms.

Could also be something not seated quite right..

Thanks I tried that and still have the toe out issue on one wheel. I put everything new and checked everything over and over and have had no luck. I am going to the hobby shop later on to get the Traxxas toe arms.

I also just placed an order for the 1100Kv Hobbywing/ESC combo and thankful as it was the last one from Amain . the other one Max6/1650 came in and I will use it in one of the trucks.

This Hobby is addicting as it never ends . hahaha

RC Racer
    Ok just got some goodies In

The Max6/1650 combo showed up and I liked it so much I placed an order last night for the Max5/1100kv combo. Need to order the WFO mount and gears for these motor upgrades. Im im no hurry to get these motors in as I want to get one of the 3 stock motors up and running to bash around in.

Got the Traxxas HD arms,RPM pins (8) aluminum diff cups with the spider gears. 3 sets of Avid raing bearings

I managed to find 2 sets of the Traxxas toe links in stock so I grabbed them as these are hard to find local.

Last edited by TundraLu; 12-21-2020 at 04:36 PM.

RC Racer

I noticed water was getting into the diff area and slipper as I found some rust in their. How do you guys seal this up so water doesn't get to the gears? After visually looking at the setup it looks like water would come in via the area where the diff mates to the drive shaft.

RC Racer
    Making some progress as I have some free time to work on these babies.

I noticed water was getting into the diff area and slipper as I found some rust in their. How do you guys seal this up so water doesn't get to the gears? After visually looking at the setup it looks like water would come in via the area where the diff mates to the drive shaft.
    For me, I use marine grease and coat where the diff cover mates to bulk housing to make a seal. Yet to see water come in. On the slipper gear area to center diff I do the same thing and just slap on excessive amounts of grease. but no way to keep water out of this area. Dirt and grit can get in here to center driveline and in the gaps from skid plates to bulk heads. I shoe good these areas. On skid plates. Area behind slipper no way to keep grit out without body mesh cover. No way to keep water out.

When I hose off I position car to multiple angle over a course of a few hours so water can drain out. The thick grease keeps water out as much as possible

RC Racer
    Man I finally got to drive the 6s one with the stock esc and man this truck is Awesome. I took a break from the 2nd one I bought which was 8s.

I got some Duratrax Lockup tires which are belted and they look to be alot better than stock for sure. I. Attaching pics of the kv1650 motor. The 1200kv also arrived today and that motor looks like a soda can. Haha

RC Champion
    Man I finally got to drive the 6s one with the stock esc and man this truck is Awesome. I took a break from the 2nd one I bought which was 8s.

I got some Duratrax Lockup tires which are belted and they look to be alot better than stock for sure. I. Attaching pics of the kv1650 motor. The 1200kv also arrived today and that motor looks like a soda can. Haha

Awesome stuff, mate.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast