3.3 Sport - Ongoing Project

After finally working out the kinks of my old Pro .15 and its overheating issues (Exhaust leak), I decided I needed a power upgrade for the thing. So, a few months ago in the closing of nitro season, after one last run, I packed up my Pro .15, to be sent into the depths of Traxxas's power up parts bin. As gutless as it is, I loved it and thought of how in the distant future I would miss my bullet-proof motor. But that pain subsided when my 3.3 arrived in the mail...
    Parts I purchased:
    TRX 3.3
    #4400 .15 Conversion Kit
    C battery glow driver
    Pro .15 Motor mount (For no reason other than if I experiment with other motors in the future, I can have a non-stripped mount)

The goal: A 55-65 MPH Nitro Sport
    I will get to working on this during the time off in-between Christmas and New Years, but keep your eyes open - This is gonna be a fun build.
    I am yet to look in-depth at gearing, but if anyone has any suggestions for controlling the 3.3's power, please let me know (Jato owners)
    I will check in with pictures once I begin the build!
    Feel free to let me know of any opinions/insights you have below. I'm sure hundreds have already done this build, but it is my first major trans-formative RC project. (I say trans-formative because I replaced the crankcase in July or so)
    I'm not afraid of my fellow man.

Not too much going on here, just a stock engine-less Nitro Sport

RC Enthusiast
    I dropped a 3.3 in my old sport a few years ago, I didn't change any gearing. The only other thing i did was swap some front end parts so I could use different wheels. My fronts didn't originally have hexes, now they do.

Quote Originally Posted by srider72 View Post
    I dropped a 3.3 in my old sport a few years ago, I didn't change any gearing. The only other thing i did was swap some front end parts so I could use different wheels. My fronts didn't originally have hexes, now they do.
    Any idea what speeds you were hitting with that setup?

RC Enthusiast
    No idea, I've got the 6533 receiver and the sensors, minus GPS. So I dont think my speed in the app is accurate. Probably whatever top speed out the box is.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Traxxas Marshal
    Sounds like a fun project, I'm looking forward to your updates and pictures!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

There's the car with the 3.3. Final photos coming soon.

That thing is going to rip with that motor on there! It's going to be fun trying to keep the front down, LoL.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    That thing is going to rip with that motor on there! It's going to be fun trying to keep the front down, LoL.
    It was certainly a lot of fun opening it up on tanks 6-10. It has wheelies on demand, but its tough to tune any engine for performance at 40 degrees. But for now its running great, I have a couple quarts of top fuel 20, and a quart of sidewinder 30, other than that, my stock is burned out. What fuel would you recomend? The LHS carries 15% heli blend for 16 dollars a gallon, which has 20% oil I believe... Which seems like too much, but I've only really used Top Fuel, which I know is somewhere near that...
    You think this stuff would gum her up? Because if in doubt I'll start running VP. The only reason I ask is because the price is right... I can't remember the brand but I do remember the fuel being green...

I'm sure it's a blast, my Jato is! Only downside is the fuel tank size,LoL.

You can try it if you want but 20% is quite a bit of oil content. The heli and plane engines run at a higher sustained rpm that can tolerate more oil without fouling.

My opinion: I would try to stick with car fuel. You'll have less tuning issues.

Thanks a lot, Grizzly. I love this truck - it's so durable. But I slammed into a wooden fence at about 40 mph and took out both my steering rods and knuckles... Living the E-clip dream lol

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckerTucker View Post
    Living the E-clip dream lol
    Did someone say e-clips?

Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    Did someone say e-clips?
    Yep

Unfortunately, for no reason at all my steering servo decided to blow... (right after I took everything apart to clean, which is kind of a disaster on these cars) I've never had a Traxxas servo blow, even after owning a Rustler for 16 years.
    Sidelined for now, my 16 year old Rustler servo is slower than molasses in January. Living the dream...

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckerTucker View Post
    Yep

Unfortunately, for no reason at all my steering servo decided to blow... (right after I took everything apart to clean, which is kind of a disaster on these cars) I've never had a Traxxas servo blow, even after owning a Rustler for 16 years.
    Sidelined for now, my 16 year old Rustler servo is slower than molasses in January. Living the dream...
    Sounds like a good excuse for an upgrade (as annoying as break downs can be)!