RC Qualifier

Traxxas XO-1 Shafts - Broken witin 10 minutes!

Hello, I purchased a Rustler 4x4 that someone had built up and never used. The reason I brought this exact model was because it had some very desireable and expensive modifications. Mainly, XO-1 Alloy Hubs and a drive shafts. I've always upgraded the driveshafts on my 4x4related models, usually to the MIP or Tekno's.

However, I've snapped a rear stub axle within 10 minutes of a simple on road drive outside my house. The axle has snapped clean off. This is extremely dissapointing for what I thought was to be a durable and expensive modification? Are these known to be 'weak'? If they didnt survive a low speed tumble, I dread to think how they will survive an off road session?

For reference, the part I've broke is #6453, I've also lost the wheel but which is an issue as Im struggling to get one.

Is this likely to be an expensive mistake? They're £40 a pair in the UK, luckily the previous owner included spares.

Anyone else had an issue like this?

Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Basically this is what happened:

RC poster
    just broke mine basically the same way testing it. are there any better cups to upgrade it to? seems to be the weakness because they necked it down for the threads and since the x01 uses smaller wheels they can handle heavier belted wheels.

RC Qualifier
    I have seen this issue on the forums before. The shaft narrows at that point.
    Thought... Are those X01 hexes? My guess is yes for the 6mm hole.
    You may need to change hexes. Maybe they are just a bit thin when mounted on the Rustler,
    and you are a tiny bit loose with the lug nut bottomed out at the end of the threads.
    A washer behind the lug can help with that. Iíve had to do it for certain hexes I have.
    Another thought is plastic hexes might help provide a bit of give to prevent it.
    I think metal hexes make it a bit easier to stretch the threads at that weak spot.
    All speculation as Iíve never owned these shafts yet. Donít plan on it.
    Last edited by fortunespoonz; 01-10-2021 at 09:26 PM.

Do you run big tires or a higher powered system? I had this issue with my slash 2wd after i put big tires on it. I had to gear down a little bit. Well a lot actually.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    just to update i fixed the weakness by going to the xo-1 17mm hubs.. they strengthen that weak area...

RC poster
    Check the clearance between the inside of the stub axle and your RPM a-arms. The brace just below the outer boot interferes and can cause problems. The stock 3655R a-arm cups down there for clearance. I've modified my RPMs so it doesn't bind. Something to consider!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Just remember that the RPM arms flex considerably more than the Traxxas arms.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better