Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Champion
    Oh.....I had no idea it’s three piece design...ordered!

RC Qualifier
    It'll be a bit before I get one, as my RC money is going to go to my ESC first. Post up what you figure out with it, as I'll probably be copying you.

RC Champion
    Got the ESC bolted down good. Got an XT90 adaptor so it stays put and so I can use my SMC 4c packs.

RC Racer
    I love this idea I hope it works for you. Can't wait to see the finished product!
    His Glory Alone all the way to the grave.

RC Champion
    It’s coming along, though my oversight on the planetary gears in the rear axle housing will push things back a bit. That’s fine, I have some work to do with tires and wheels plus front bumper delete to do anyway

Looking good so far.... can't wait to see it all buttoned up!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    Yeah man, it's nice to see a different take on the UDR coming together.

I got my front end buttoned up, and I'll eventually post some pictures to my build thread.

It'd be nice to get our UDRs together for a "King of the Slammers" race someday. Wishful thinking, but maybe there will actually be an Ultra 4 class that the UDR could compete in. And one that doesn't include unrealistically sized jumps and top speeds.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by bashing fo fun View Post
    I love this idea I hope it works for you. Can't wait to see the finished product!
    Thank you, me either.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Looking good so far.... can't wait to see it all buttoned up!
    Thanks. The rear axle assembly miraculously came back in stock over at jrc so that’s inbound, never hurts to have extra spares.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
    Yeah man, it's nice to see a different take on the UDR coming together.

RC Champion
    Work has been kicking my behind this week so didnít get to work on this too much last few days. Did put on the front hex/discs and fake diamond plating.

RC Racer
    Ok, Traxxas needs to give you a medal for doing this, loving this build! What are you gonna do for a body on this build are you just doing the diamond plating or something else?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by bashing fo fun View Post
    Ok, Traxxas needs to give you a medal for doing this, loving this build! What are you gonna do for a body on this build are you just doing the diamond plating or something else?
    Haha thank you. I am somewhat handy with lexan sheets, power drill and scissors so every cage srurface that is exposed will get some sort of cover, I’m taking full advantage of the fact that the cage is plastic to drill small holes to mount more cover panels . Those vendors out of China charge hundreds of dollars for metal panels that we can easily do ourselves with 15 dollars worth of .06 inch lexan sheets.

What I am also thinking about doing is using plastic epoxy to create additional area on the cage inside of where the cage bars meet as to create more recessed panel mounting points, so the panels I make don’t get trashed on the first crash.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 01-30-2021 at 02:59 PM.

RC Racer
    I like it keep it DIY!!

RC Champion
    Swapped in the rear axle assembly into the satin finish housing so all the axles are in and the metal hexes installed

Installed the mip rear drive shaft, savox 1256tg servo, hot racing steering arm and servo horn. I decided to go with Rc4wd lower arms on the rear along with hot racing limiting straps, but saved some money on the upper links on the rear axle by just getting the traxxas heavy duty ones. Those axle upper links are so beefy I think colored aluminum ones will just be needless bling

Also Closed up the gap on the front. Plan is to use some 1/8 inch abs plastic to make my own skid plate and bolt top to the front end of the chassis hood and bottom to the lower part of the rpm bumper
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 01-30-2021 at 09:42 PM.

RC Champion
    Wired up the 2200kv motor. Props to castle for shipping the motor with long enough motor wire to reach the esc with minimal slack. Coincidence or an inherited motor-esc wire length from the Castle days? Who knows

RC Qualifier
    I'm jealous. I'm replacing mine with fresh, but stock electronics. Someday I'll go sensored...
    Last edited by Fallen; 01-31-2021 at 11:31 PM.

RC Champion
    TBH I am going to run it sensorless first, castle motors are pretty smooth as it is. I used the MMX as it has a more robust BEC than the MM2.

RC Racer
    That looks awesome

If I were you I would get rpm or metal a arms and trailing arms if it is going to be a rock racer

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikemort View Post
    That looks awesome

If I were you I would get rpm or metal a arms and trailing arms if it is going to be a rock racer
    I’m thinking about metal front a arms but the rear trailing arms are Rc4wd ones.

RC Champion
    The tires are coming along, finished the first one and I am rather pleased with the outcome, no rub! Tire is proline 1010714 on Rc4wd bead lock wheels, some trimming required

Looks great!
    Nice trim job on the inside diameter!
    Last edited by Squeegie; 02-17-2021 at 04:20 PM.

RC Champion
    Looks great!
    Thank you.

I know these are soft crawler tires so some help from glue may be needed at higher speeds but they cannot be beat for rocks

These tires aren’t cheap so it’s measure three times and cut four times.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 02-17-2021 at 04:31 PM.

Cheaper then the ProLine's Hyrax tires for the UDR that I've been cutting up... I actually just ordered another pair of tires to make a spare (too bad they don't sell just one)!

RC Champion
    I know! I guess PL knows they got the market on after market udr tires cornered and charging what the market (us) will bear...

RC Qualifier
    Nice job! I had the same idea, as I cut up an old set of stock Axial Yeti tires (2.2 BF Goodrich Krawlers) and mounted them to a set of 2.2/3.0 beadlocks. Unfortunately, the wheels I put them on are a 12mm hex, so no good for the 'ol UDR.

Your tires look great, and the UDR really has a different look with that set-up.

What's the OD on those tires?

RC Champion
    I will check the diameter in the morning. Here is a caveat that everyone probably already knows, if you go this route with 2.2 crawler tires you need to either use glue on the inboard sideto hold the tire, or use wheels like vitavons that have the ring for the 3.0 inch side, without a thick bead there isn’t sufficient clamping force on the inner side with the Rc4wd wheels.

RC Champion

What's the OD on those tires?
    The official spec says 5.8 inches and it is right where mine sits, just under 150mm.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks. That sounds like the perfect height; taller than stock but still no chassis rub.

While watching the 2021 KOH I learned that some of the top guys are now running 42" tires, as opposed to the 40s that everyone used to be running.

So while a slightly taller tire would still be scale for a KOH UDR I'll probably stick with the stock tires. That's mostly due to cost though. Any new tires I buy will also require new wheels, and that's more than I want to spend on this conversion.

RC Champion
    Thanks. That sounds like the perfect height; taller than stock but still no chassis rub.

While watching the 2021 KOH I learned that some of the top guys are now running 42" tires, as opposed to the 40s that everyone used to be running.

So while a slightly taller tire would still be scale for a KOH UDR I'll probably stick with the stock tires. That's mostly due to cost though. Any new tires I buy will also require new wheels, and that's more than I want to spend on this conversion.
    I agree with you. This isnít ideal in a a lot of ways. I certainly wonít run this on any thing other than low speed rock gardens, We all know what happens when crawler tires spin too fast.

RC Champion
    Here is where it sits now with the tires all mounted.

Looks great bobbed like that!
    Great job!

RC Champion
    Thanks Squeegie! Bobbed, that’s the word I have been looking for.

RC Qualifier
    Rad. Looks like an East Coast hill killer for sure.

Cheaper then the ProLine's Hyrax tires for the UDR that I've been cutting up... I actually just ordered another pair of tires to make a spare (too bad they don't sell just one)!
    Here's a couple of pics of the spare I just finished over the weekend:

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post6577583

RC Champion
    That looks great squeegie, there will be some trade off but can’t possibly be worse than my two builds using the steel vg racing cage. Lol.

There is so much to be said about how easy it is to work on the slash that cannot be said of the UDR layout.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12