Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

Modding my G63 TRX-6 *Progression*

My wife got me a TRX-6 for my birthday. My first r/c and I am HOOKED! Already ordered a bunch of upgrades for it. I’ll update this thread as I go along. Got a lot to learn and read up.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!

...and, welcome to the TRX6 club! Its a great rig.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Congrats on your great wife and welcome to the Traxxas forums!

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Got0wned View Post
    My wife got me a TRX-6 for my birthday. My first r/c and I am HOOKED! Already ordered a bunch of upgrades for it. I’ll update this thread as I go along. Got a lot to learn and read up.

Welcome to the Traxxas Forums, nice rig you have, now, go to the mods, lot of mods, hahahahaha.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the warm welcome, all! Got these installed:

Protek RC 370TBL “Black Label” waterproof steering servo
    Castle Creations BEC 2.0 waterproof
    Reefs V2 servo horn
    Magnetic post mounts (EBay)

The upgraded 7.2v steering servo setup is much better! Definitely more powerful than the factory 6v from Traxxas. The magnetic mount was very simple to install. I was more excited about the magnetic posts than the servo upgrade. lol
    Last edited by Got0wned; 12-27-2020 at 11:36 AM.

RC Champion
    Thanks for the warm welcome, all! Got these installed:

Protek RC 370TBL “Black Label” waterproof steering servo
    Castle Creations BEC 2.0 waterproof
    Reefs V2 servo horn
    Magnetic post mounts (EBay)

The upgraded 7.2v steering servo setup is much better! Definitely more powerful than the factory 6v from Traxxas. The magnetic mount was very simple to install. I was more excited about the magnetic posts than the servo upgrade. lol
    Very good stuff, mate.

RC poster
    Welcome!!!

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the kind words! Hope everyone had a great holiday weekend. Here’s what’s next:

Samix steering knuckles, c-hub, portal housing, & brake rotor set (Front)
    Samix brass shock spring cups
    Hot Racing steel offset steering tie rod
    AJRC skid plates

Big difference after adding the brass weights to the front axle housing! The brake rotor set compliments the scale look really well. The factory steering tie rod hits the differential cover at full lock. The offset steering tie rod fixed that issue. Problem is now I have a bigger steering angle and is hitting something else..

Have you tried to reset your steering endpoints on your Tx?

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Have you tried to reset your steering endpoints on your Tx?

Have fun!
    I didn’t know I can do that! Thanks for the heads up!

RC Champion
    Thanks for the kind words! Hope everyone had a great holiday weekend. Here’s what’s next:

Samix steering knuckles, c-hub, portal housing, & brake rotor set (Front)
    Samix brass shock spring cups
    Hot Racing steel offset steering tie rod
    AJRC skid plates

Big difference after adding the brass weights to the front axle housing! The brake rotor set compliments the scale look really well. The factory steering tie rod hits the differential cover at full lock. The offset steering tie rod fixed that issue. Problem is now I have a bigger steering angle and is hitting something else..
    This "brake discs" are heavy in weight?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    This "brake discs" are heavy in weight?
    The discs themselves are purely cosmetic, no weight. The weight comes from the brass knuckles, hub, and portal housing.

RC Racer
    get a stainless steel front bumper skid plate it has held my bumper and frame together through so really hard hits

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by chris5100 View Post
    get a stainless steel front bumper skid plate it has held my bumper and frame together through so really hard hits
    Thanks for the tip! But I got something to else in the works Stay tuned!

RC Enthusiast
    Up next:

RC4WD Warn 9.5ct winch
    RC4WD Warn wireless controller
    RC4WD front bumper
    RC4WD Warn fairlead
    RC4WD Warn shackles

Was advised by a local r/c shop not to wire the winch controller directly to the battery.. so I disassembled and scavenged a 9v battery connector from my old smoke detector. Next would be to waterproof the controller and figure out how to mount the bumper to the TRX-6. This is going to be a challenge. To be continued...
    Last edited by Got0wned; 12-29-2020 at 12:04 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Installed a truck bed conversion kit (EBay)

Very surprised as to how this turned out. I’m quite please with how well the fitment was. It fits and feels like this bed came from the Traxxas factory. Highly recommended to anyone with a TRX-6 to add this mod.

RC Competitor
    That bed looks spot on. Can't beat a more detailed part.
    Figuring out how to mount that bumper will be well worth it!
    'If it's free, I'm buying two!'

RC Enthusiast
    Up next:
    figure out how to mount the bumper to the TRX-6. This is going to be a challenge. To be continued...
    Is that the RC4WD bumper for TF2? with rounded posts?.You might need this adapter
    https://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-Alumin...-4_p_5832.html
    Aftermarket stuff for the TRX6 is so addictive, I already sink few grand in scale parts already. Be warned
    Last edited by JCM5; 12-30-2020 at 10:35 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JCM5 View Post
    Is that the RC4WD bumper for TF2? With rounded post?.You might need this adapter
    https://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-Alumin...-4_p_5832.html
    Aftermarket stuff for the TRX6 is so addictive, I already sink few grand in scale parts already. Be warned
    I purchased the RC4WD TRX4 front bumper conversion. It's supposed to have a tighter fit to the mounting posts on the RC4WD bumper. Since the bumper was designed for another chassis, it sits far too low or far too high to my TRX-6. My friend with some godly machining skills fabricated an adapter piece to make it all fit like puzzle pieces Check back later today for the updates!

RC Enthusiast
    Continuing my winch/bumper mod...

I singled out a 9v battery holder from a row that holds four I had bought from Amazon. Also bought a cheap "scale storage box" to waterproof/dustproof the wireless winch controller with some silicone gasket maker. Here's how they look like:

I carefully cut away the front bumper. Making the cut at the front of the fender flares on both sides to match was not easy, but I think I did a pretty good job

Soldered on a waterproof on/off switch externally for the battery. This way, I don't have to remove the body to plug/unplug the battery every time. The switch will be hidden on the undercarriage right behind the front bumper.

RC Enthusiast
    Mounted up the roof lights. Also added some LEDs into them.

RC Competitor
    Very cool looking set of lights!
    'If it's free, I'm buying two!'

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks, JonnyUK! They're a bit dim.. I reconnected it to 6v to brighten them up. Also got a liquid chrome pen to plate the inside of the light bezel. Pictures to follow soon on that.

Back to the winch and front bumper:

The mounting posts on the RC4WD front bumper made it sit too high or too low to the body. My friend with fabrication skills made me an adapter out of a solid aluminum block:

Fitment is PERFECT and ROCK SOLID! Used the winch to pull my office chair. No flex on the winch or bumper. Form and function like it was made at the Traxxas factory!

RC Enthusiast
    The roof lights were too dim when I wired it to the Traxxas LED power supply. I re-connected it to a Y-harness to the receiver box for a 6v power supply and now it is where the brightness should be. I also used a liquid chrome marker to plate the four individual light bezels to enhance the output. Success!

Before:

After:

Looking really nice and really good work on the bed!

I made one out of styrene way back when, there weren't any aftermarket options. it did turn out kind of ehhhhh in some places.

But really nice build so far!
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

RC Champion
    Got0wned, you rig looks amazing.

RC Qualifier
    looking sharp!

RC Enthusiast
    Titanium94010, Juanmacine, ben1272: Thanks! I appreciate the kind words. I already have more parts on order. Overdrive gear and pinion coming in this week among a few other parts!

RC Enthusiast
    Played in the snow today by Lake Arrowhead with the Deep Terrain Traxx installed. I was surprised how well it crawled through thick snow.

That's Awesome!! Debating on a trx6 and maxx. Love the upgrades if i ever get one i gonna copy you. When you are all done with it can you post all the parts you used. Thanks

RC Champion
    Played in the snow today by Lake Arrowhead with the Deep Terrain Traxx installed. I was surprised how well it crawled through thick snow.

Wow, this TRX6 looks really like a beast. This Frosty likes funny

RC Enthusiast
    Allyeajackvk2: if you plan on using the trx6 in snow, mud, or loose sand, the traxx in the front with deep terrain treads works REALLY well. And sure, I’ll update my list of mods of everything I’ve done soon after my next set of parts come in the mail.

Juanmacine: I should’ve build another snowman riding the bed of my trx-6

Awesome thanks. Might get a trx6 someday.

Awesome tracks!

Do you plan on lifting the rear?

RC Enthusiast
    Titanium94010: I don’t plan on using the traxx too often, so I won’t be lifting it for that purpose. I have been toying with the idea of getting 100mm shocks all around to increase articulation. Not sure if that’s a good idea or a bad idea.

Titanium94010: I don’t plan on using the traxx too often, so I won’t be lifting it for that purpose. I have been toying with the idea of getting 100mm shocks all around to increase articulation. Not sure if that’s a good idea or a bad idea.
    100mm Shocks will increase articulation by quite a bit, but if you keep it at stock ride height (with droop), you'll lose a little bit of suspension travel. Or you can run them with a lift and it works just as well, just you're car's going to be a little higher up.
    Good shocks can be expensive though, especially if you need 6 of them.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
    100mm Shocks will increase articulation by quite a bit, but if you keep it at stock ride height (with droop), you'll lose a little bit of suspension travel. Or you can run them with a lift and it works just as well, just you're car's going to be a little higher up.
    Good shocks can be expensive though, especially if you need 6 of them.
    I looked into get aluminum adjustable front shock towers that will give me added height for the top mount. I’ll have to trim the inner fenders. And for the rear, I could reposition the shock to the most forward mounting point. I think that will allow me to run 100mm shocks without raising the center of gravity and still give me more shock travel. But you’re right... buying 6 new quality shocks could get expensive.. but I’m already in too deep.. LOL

RC Racer
    I looked into get aluminum adjustable front shock towers that will give me added height for the top mount. I’ll have to trim the inner fenders. And for the rear, I could reposition the shock to the most forward mounting point. I think that will allow me to run 100mm shocks without raising the center of gravity and still give me more shock travel. But you’re right... buying 6 new quality shocks could get expensive.. but I’m already in too deep.. LOL
    I got the aluminum shock towers and ditched the plastic fenders. you can get about a half inch lift with shock keys which put the suspension right at a nice sweet spot where its not bottoming out on anything

hard to see though black on black

RC Champion
    The discs themselves are purely cosmetic, no weight. The weight comes from the brass knuckles, hub, and portal housing.
    Thanks for the reply, mate.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by chris5100 View Post
    I got the aluminum shock towers and ditched the plastic fenders. you can get about a half inch lift with shock keys which put the suspension right at a nice sweet spot where its not bottoming out on anything

hard to see though black on black
    I see you swap the stock electronics to a Hobbywing AXE system, ¿what kind of motor you did install?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast