RC Racer

Trying to reach 80mph

Hello all,

I've made a couple of threads before mentioning on how I was planning on making a speed car out of a 1/16th platform, and this is going to hopefully be one of the last. I have everything torn down to the point where the chassis is almost completely bare, and before I start building it up again I would love to have a set list of parts that I might need.

The biggest struggle that I'm having is coming up with the right motor/esc combo. I was thinking castle 5700kv with the SW4, but my concern is heat. I put a 4600kv castle into my 1/16th rally (the car I'll be using for the speed run), and it got quite hot on 3s. However, during that run the slipper clutch was almost completely worn out, so I think it was putting more stress on the motor than it should have.

The second thing that I was wondering about is the steering. When i drove the rally the steering never came back to center. It was always off by a little bit. Could this be an under-powered servo, or is it more likely something in the steering mechanism?

Lastly, when I get batteries, which brand would you recommend?

Thank you!
    Last edited by MiniSummit50Mph; 12-27-2020 at 10:35 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I bought the Savox drop in servo for my Rally, I think you’ll need Rally push rods(shorter) so the car can be lowered. You’ll have to get a different body to keep it on the ground as well. As I mentioned the lower kv with a larger geared up motor will get what ever speed you want, without all the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I was thinking about going with the 1410 3800kv, but the issue is that the gearing options are very limited for the 1/16th cars. I think that 31/45 is the max you can go. On the speed calculator, that gearing would give me the speed I am looking for with the 5700kv motor, and even the 4600kv would be close. The 3800kv would be better if I could gear it up higher, but I don't think it's possible.

Any and all gear possibilities are available you just might have to go farther than looking online for them. I have found calling them directly gets you access to much more inventory than they bother to list online.

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    Any and all gear possibilities are available you just might have to go farther than looking online for them. I have found calling them directly gets you access to much more inventory than they bother to list online.
    Thanks for the tip! I didn't know that.