RC Racer

Maxx Light kit on Hoss?

I was checking out the Maxx light kit... Has anybody tried to see if it would work on a Hoss?

RC Racer
    After further review - I looked at the manual for the Maxx light kit. It does not look like this will work.
    The manual says Compatible with the following Traxxas
    electronic speed controls (sold separately):
    Velineon® VXL-4s (part #3465), Velineon® VXL-6s (part #3485)
    Velineon® VXL-8s (part #3496)

Maxx Light kit on Hoss?

You could get a vxl4s esc and put it in the hoss to use the light kit, as it plugs into the accessory port on the esc. If you don’t want to do that, then I’m not really sure what else can be done to power the light kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    As mentioned above you can use a 4S ESC and utilize the port on that..still will be some modifications to the bumper or body.
    I chose bumpers because I don't like having a clipless body and then still having to hook/unhook things whenever you take it on/off..Kinda defeats the purpose of having a clipless body. You can use parts of the Maxx light kit or UDR light kit..
    Mounted my light control module on top of steering servo

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Rear bumper surface mount...

RC Racer
    Cut out a slot in front bumper because of the curvature..surface mounted but a mild recess in the center of bumper and light bar

RC poster
    Got an email from Traxxas today on a light kit for the Hoss, they are taking preorders.

The kit replaces the front and rear bumpers.
    Slash Ultimate 4x4
    Stampede 4x4 VXL
    X-Maxx

RC Racer
    Yes, it looks like they had planned ahead..if you keep the stock 3s setup it looks like they already had 2 unused holes molded into the chassis spaced apart for the light control module.

RC Racer
    At least the price is reasonable..but doesn't appear there is any low/high beam functions or actual brake light function (just steady red led) or an on/off function other than just not plugging them in..
    Thumbs up for their expanded product line though

They are on eBay already, ordered a kit for my stampede

RC poster
    Yes! Pre-ordered and I can't wait; thanks for the heads-up!

RC Competitor
    Picked up the light kit from the traxxas retail store today. Install was simple and it looks sharp.

RC poster
    Looks great! My kit is supposed to arrive today.

RC poster
    Neither I or the Local Hobby store can get traxxas LIPO's shipped to Alaska, so I have to use a little adapter for the Lipo I can get. It looks like the LEDs work by adding an adapter to the standard Traxxas battery plug in. Can you use the Led setup if you need to also use the Lipo adapter? I can't tell from the pictures.

RC poster
    Installation was easy and...i can't tell you how well they work (other than they work). It was raining all evening.

RC poster
    Found the Traxxas install instructions and answered my own question. Looks like the power tap connects to the back side of the esc power wires so doesn't impacts the esc is connected to the battery. So using non Traxxas batteries shouldn't be an issue.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by tundraroller View Post
    Found the Traxxas install instructions and answered my own question. Looks like the power tap connects to the back side of the esc power wires so doesn't impacts the esc is connected to the battery. So using non Traxxas batteries shouldn't be an issue.
    For those who haven't installed one yet but may want to here is a pic of what you are saying...

Also the Futaba on/off switch in the pic does work..just need to cut off the receiver plug (as seen in the pic below) on the one end and install a female plug.. then make sure the other end is a male plug and it can be installed in between the power tap and the light control module..Lights can now be switched off/on easily without having to disconnect them each time they are not in use

Last edited by radio uncontrol; 01-27-2021 at 06:22 AM.

RC Racer
    Futaba plug