RC poster

Changes to the Summit during the years

Hi,

Does anyone know what changes that have been done to the Traxxas Summit 1/10 during the years of production? Both in therms of specifications and components, and colors.

And what changes are worth buying the newer version for?

I am wondering both of general interest and because I am considering buying a Summit and the owner does not know how old it is, I am trying to find out.

Thank you for answer.

RC poster
    I will try to add some pictures of the one I am considering to boy, have not yet got picture of the remote

RC Enthusiast
    I know that one of the most important changes a few years back was the ESC upgrade to EVX-2. This has low voltage detection, and is a must if you want to run Lipo batteries. I don't have a link to the old ESC but the new should look like this:

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/escs/3019Revx2lvd

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by eehgil View Post
    Hi,

Does anyone know what changes that have been done to the Traxxas Summit 1/10 during the years of production? Both in therms of specifications and components, and colors.

And what changes are worth buying the newer version for?

I am wondering both of general interest and because I am considering buying a Summit and the owner does not know how old it is, I am trying to find out.

Thank you for answer.
    If he does not remember how old it is, it must be very old, or he may be second owner already.
    I was where you are about 2 months ago and got a used one.
    Depending on price, you should consider buying new instead. Or at least make sure you save enough on it to do necessary repairs to it that will come much sooner than later. Mine looked in very good shape, but after owning it for almost 2 months, I noticed it need new tires, the old ones had unnoticeably small holes in them enough that it can't run in wet, or I can't wash them in running water, my ESC is acting up after every time I get it wet (either by wet running or by washing it), bearings and other wearable misc. parts are on their way out as well. Plus, you don't have any warranty.

Bottom line is that I saved upfront about 150 to buy used, but spent it all in the next 2 months on wearables.

My next RC will be an 1/10 E-Revo or Maxx and it will be NEW.
    That's just my 2 cents.

RC Racer
    That body color is an early run on the Summit so most likely would have the original ESC with NO low voltage protection for lipos.

The Summit has pretty much remained the same. The driveline is still the same. The most notable change would be the radio setup. The Tx/Rx changed the most. If you have a picture of the transmitter that would help identify what it has. (if it's still a Traxxas transmitter)

The early Summits came with a T-lock module which controlled the locking diffs, then got rid of them with the newer style transmitters.

Edit: It's probably pre-TQi radio gear w/o LVC on the ESC
    Last edited by grizzly03; 01-07-2021 at 11:19 AM.

RC poster
    Thank you all for quick and good answers. I hope to get pictures of the radio and the ESC.

The t-lock module for controlling the diffs on the oldest models, does that give any functionality differences?

Quote Originally Posted by eehgil View Post
    The t-lock module for controlling the diffs on the oldest models, does that give any functionality differences?
    No, the truck was the same. It was the TX/RX that was different in the way it controlled the CH4 and CH5. The (TQ4 transmitter and) 2218 receiver only had 4 channels. They used the T-lock module to separate a CH5 function on the 4th channel. In easy terms, Basically they added a 5th channel by dividing the 4th channel.

The newer radios don't use the T-lock as they have a 5th channel on the receiver. They work the same as the older TQ4 radio, just without the module being needed.

New or old, the truck shifting and diff locking hardware (the truck itself) is the same.

A $5 low voltage alarm will solve the no lvc issue.
    Its at least 2nd gen as its 2.4 ghz.
    Mine was original am 27 mhz.
    The body color scheme changed and radio changed,esc got a update thats about it

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC poster
    Not sure if this would help, but you could start here. Links to lots of the older Summit webpages (except the older one). Apparently they're all still up and there. You might be able to figure some stuff out by cross-comparing.

https://traxxas.com/support/LegacyPr...-Model-Listing

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...light=Versions

There's have been few changes over the years (which shows how good the summit is) here are the few I know of (not in this exact order)

1) fix a manufacture flaw in the diff or tranny. This was done quietly and fast by traxxas in the very beginning

2) upgrade from am to 2.4 ghz TQ radio. The radio went from square grey with Lonngg silver antenna, to square black with short black plastic
    2.4ghz antennaa,TQ radio

3) prografix bodies. Changed from solid basic colors to swirly / groovy colors and patterns

3) the small little T-lock circuit board (which controlled the diffs) was removed and now diffs were directly controlled by the radio. P.s. these T-lock modules are neat, they kinda give you radio and extra channel capability. I'm saving two for future projects

4) EVX2 esc updated , from NIMH batteries capability to lipo or NIMH capability

5) radio update . From black square TQ to black smooth newer designed radio

6)another radio update, TQi with blue tooth capability

That's all the changes I can recall.

There were some additional model numbers that were numbered differently because they did or did not come with batteries.

Summit has always been the red headed step son in Traxxas's line up.

HECK the TRX4 Just came out about 3 years ago and they have about 6 mechanically different versions of it already. And we not just talking slapping on new paint schemes.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC poster
    Thank you very much for a good answer