Untitled by J K, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by mag1 View Post
    Enjoy.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Competitor
    Heres what was done so far as of yesterday:

So front and rear diff upgraded to xo1. I used 30k in front and 100k in the rear.
    Strc bell cranks installed.
    Rpm esc cage 73622 installed.
    Rx mounted up front
    Mamba monster x esc put in to see how fits. Perfect..
    Castle link ordered. Its on backorder. So i can set the bec to 6v
    Traxxas steel axels installed
    Upgraded to erevo slipper
    Traxxas 400 torque servo in
    Proline extended body mounts
    Castle 2650kv in to see how it fit
    Strc heat sink motor plate
    King headz lcg motor mount
    Robinson 18t ponion
    Hot racing 25t alum lock servo horn
    Rpm front bulkhead rpm73562
    Rom front bumper
    Traxxas wheel hubs 17mm set 6856x
    Proline trencher hp belted 2.8 premounted pro10168-10
    Proline 17mm wheel insert 6336-00
    Went and bought two extra bodies:
    Slash rocknroll body
    Proline slash monster fusion tough body black 3498-18

Need to decide on which batteries. I have two traxxas 3s liPos and one 4s liPo. I have a male traxxas plug for the esc that can be soldered on. Or do i go w different batteries and charger since i need some for my next xmaxx build? So we have a maxx, slash and xmaxx in the house so far.
    So should i stick w traxxas batteries and charger for convenience, or spend money on another charger and battery set such as smc, venom, zee and different connectors?
    Last edited by mag1; 02-03-2021 at 07:50 AM.

Obviously, the Mamba Monster X for inside the RPM cage 73622, but did the cage easily mount to the chassis using the chassis' stock mounting positions (of which there are multiple possibilities)? Right now, I'm using the STRC Electronics Mounting Plate, but would like to consider that RPM cage.

As for the ESC & motor, make certain you fully test them before installing in the vehicle. Mine turned out to be defective, and now I have to call Castle for warranty repair/replacement (on my brand-new ESC & motor). It's a good thing a hadn't yet opened the motor to install the ceramic bearings.

RC Competitor
    Yea, the rpm cage fit it and the holes lined up perfect.
    What ceramic bearings to install?

Yea, the rpm cage fit it and the holes lined up perfect.
    What ceramic bearings to install?
    TRB (not to be confused with TBR, aka T-Bone Racing) makes ceramic hybrid bearings for a number of Castle motors (probably for others brands, as well). It's about $13-14 for the pair. You just need to make sure you order the correct ones. You can order directly from their own website (https://trbrc.com/trb-rc-hybrid-cera...512-1y-2650kv/), through their eBay store, or through their Amazon store. There might also be other ordering sources I'm unaware of. I ordered two sets (always good to have backups on-hand...but, like I said, I hadn't installed them, yet. Now, time to call Castle about the defect problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    TRB (not to be confused with TBR, aka T-Bone Racing) makes ceramic hybrid bearings for a number of Castle motors (probably for others brands, as well). It's about $13-14 for the pair. You just need to make sure you order the correct ones. You can order directly from their own website (https://trbrc.com/trb-rc-hybrid-cera...512-1y-2650kv/), through their eBay store, or through their Amazon store. There might also be other ordering sources I'm unaware of. I ordered two sets (always good to have backups on-hand...but, like I said, I hadn't installed them, yet. Now, time to call Castle about the defect problem.

I have the TRB hybrids in 3 of my motors currently. Been running them for a year or so and they still sound good at high RPM's.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    I have the TRB hybrids in 3 of my motors currently. Been running them for a year or so and they still sound good at high RPM's.
    Will have to wait until the ESC & motor are returned to me. Right now, they're heading for Castle, to be repaired, or replaced. Sucks when something you just bought is defective right out of the box, and they refuse to let the retailer do the exchange.

With any other industry, of whatever you bought is defective, as long as it's within the return period, you take it back to where you bought it, they swap it with a new 'whatever', you're on your way, and they deal with the manufacturer for defective exchange/compensation. If you buy a TV from Best Buy, and it's defective upon purchase, Best Buy handles the exchange. If you buy a cell phone from Verizon, and it's defective out of the box, Verizon handles the exchange. So why, if you buy a new RC ESC and/or motor, should we have to send it in (at our expenses) to the manufacturer?

For the most part, it's not the "having to ship it to the manufacturer" I have the problem with. If the manufacturers want to resolve the problem directly, so be it...but, they should be paying the shipping cost both ways. It would be different if it were a warranty repair/exchange "down the road"...but, for something to be defective right out of the box (which, thankfully, is a very rare occurrence in RC), that's where the manufacturer should be paying the shipping cost...especially if they are the ones who refuse to allow the retailer to handle the exchange.

On the 'plus' side, Castle is a LOT easier, and better, to deal with, than Hobbywing. The former has excellent customer service, and tech support. The latter, on the other hand, is at the opposite end of the scale. Just thought I'd toss that last bit out, in case anyone happened to be trying to decide between a HW & Castle ESC.

I've had only one previous "fresh out of the box" ESC/motor problem, it was HW, and they tried to blame me for burning out the ESC. Everything worked in testing before installing in the vehicle, although the motor didn't appear to be operating optimally. On the track, operation was "spastic" for the first few minutes (in checking motor & ESC temps, all appeared good)...and then, all of a sudden, the ESC went 'poof'...this, on the first battery. I immediately checked temps, and all was good. Best I could tell, the ESC's circuitry fried from the inside. There were two others at the track that morning who could confirm everything I said...yet, again, HW tried to blame me.

Initially, I called them (yes, they still had full phone support at that point in time), trying to explain everything, but it was as if they refused to listen, just telling me to ship it to them, which I did. Two days after they had received it, having not even received a "product received" confirmation, I called them. They 'apologized' (in a not-so-friendly way) for not having contacted me, told me the ESC had been inspected, and they determined that I had caused the damage. As I said, I had two people who could confirm everything I said. They agreed to sing a one-time replacement, but also stated that the replacement would have no warranty. Then, to top it off, they blocked my number from all incoming calls.

Since then, HW has removed call-in support. You must go to their website, and schedule a date/time for them to call you. Worse, there is a pre-defined time limit to each call...10 minutes, to be specific. If your problem can't be resolved within that time limit, then you'll need to schedule another callback. That is the type of "service" you get from HW. On the other hand, with Castle, they are friendly, and helpful. With Castle, you can call them. Also, if 30 minutes (or even longer) are needed, they will gladly spend that time helping you. When I was trying to get the dig operational in my first Capra, even though the servo, Tx, and Rx were not Castle (the Mamba X, obviously, was), the person next to the person I was speaking to just happened to also use a 7PX...so the call was handed over to him, and he spent the next 45 minutes not only helping me get the dig operational, but also helping me every step of the way to getting the Tx/Rx deadband down to the absolute lower possible timing. Now THAT'S customer service. It's reasons like that that I'll continue to support Castle, and I'll do my best to never again support HW.

RC Competitor
    Instead of buying a solder gun, went to the LHS and got a traxxas connector soldered on the ESC. $5 but wound up buying a bluetooth gps

RC Competitor
    ok I got the ESC finally installed. Rechecked, well I thought I rechecked everything to make sure all tightened up. Motor was not in the car yet, wanted to make sure it worked before mounting and meshing.
    TURNED on remote, plugged in battery, and turned esc on. I had no throttle, just steering..Called castle and they help me set it up over the phone. Throttle working.
    Now all GTG ,I touched the throttle to go forward, and the car went in reverse. Same for reverse..It went forward..
    Quick search on the internet and I saw someone said switch the A and B inputs. Switched and all good. It worked.
    Well started to hear rattle in the motor around the gears.. SOB I never tightened the motor plate down. Now its too dark to do anything.
    This am, charged up the battery, tightened the motor plate, set the mesh..Started up everything, heard the 3 beeps, then the other sounds..GTG
    Well I am super impressed. Ran half a battery through it on 3s. It was crazy fast even with the 2.8 belted trenchers on it. Using the 18t pinion. Motor slight warm, esc no heat, no fan went on. The thing does wheelies. Loved it.

Decided to go back inside, let battery cool down, and recharge. Wanted to see how fast on the street it can go. I set up the Powerhobby GNSS GPS and paired with my phone.

Plugged in the battery, and noticed the sensor to the esc and motor was not plugged in. I plugged it in and started the car.
    Heard this horrible gearing stripping sound. Then no reverse or forward. Couldnt figure it out. Checked the pinion screw and it didnt move. Mesh felt perfect..Did the paper method. Re-meshed again, and same noise, car wouldnt move.
    Took the motor out, then tried motor forward and reverse..nothing. Disconnected the sensor, and the motor worked perfect.

I had to leave for work, so on my way called castle. They really couldnt help cuz they needed to know what the esc was doing with the beeps. Told him about the sensor wire and i had to switch the A and B connectors. Well that was a big no no.
    SO have to wait til Monday to call them when car is in front of me to have them walk me through how to get the motor to go forward and reverse with ABC connected correctly.

So now Im bummed, gonna work on the Maxx this weekend.

Anyone have this happen lol..

RC Competitor
    Got some of this also for the new bodies.. And theres the GPS I purchased.

Yep. I did the same thing the first time I got a sensored system. Non-sensored don't care what order you plug the motor wires in. Sensored does care. The motor and esc should have ABC on the wires for the motor. Plug them in accordingly, along with the sensor plug. Then if it goes backward when you pull the trigger for forward and forward when you push the trigger for back, you need to change the setting inside the esc to reverse it. I have a castle field card, so I use that to adjust the esc settings.

With ABC not plugged in right and the sensor cable plugged in, the motor just vibrates angrily!

If you do not have a Castle field card, could you just reverse the throttle settings on the Tx? I don't remember if doing it that way will affect the top speed in forward and reverse though...

Good luck!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

ok I got the ESC finally installed. Rechecked, well I thought I rechecked everything to make sure all tightened up. Motor was not in the car yet, wanted to make sure it worked before mounting and meshing.
    TURNED on remote, plugged in battery, and turned esc on. I had no throttle, just steering..Called castle and they help me set it up over the phone. Throttle working.
    Now all GTG ,I touched the throttle to go forward, and the car went in reverse. Same for reverse..It went forward..
    Quick search on the internet and I saw someone said switch the A and B inputs. Switched and all good. It worked.
    Well started to hear rattle in the motor around the gears.. SOB I never tightened the motor plate down. Now its too dark to do anything.
    This am, charged up the battery, tightened the motor plate, set the mesh..Started up everything, heard the 3 beeps, then the other sounds..GTG
    Well I am super impressed. Ran half a battery through it on 3s. It was crazy fast even with the 2.8 belted trenchers on it. Using the 18t pinion. Motor slight warm, esc no heat, no fan went on. The thing does wheelies. Loved it.

Decided to go back inside, let battery cool down, and recharge. Wanted to see how fast on the street it can go. I set up the Powerhobby GNSS GPS and paired with my phone.

Plugged in the battery, and noticed the sensor to the esc and motor was not plugged in. I plugged it in and started the car.
    Heard this horrible gearing stripping sound. Then no reverse or forward. Couldnt figure it out. Checked the pinion screw and it didnt move. Mesh felt perfect..Did the paper method. Re-meshed again, and same noise, car wouldnt move.
    Took the motor out, then tried motor forward and reverse..nothing. Disconnected the sensor, and the motor worked perfect.

I had to leave for work, so on my way called castle. They really couldnt help cuz they needed to know what the esc was doing with the beeps. Told him about the sensor wire and i had to switch the A and B connectors. Well that was a big no no.
    SO have to wait til Monday to call them when car is in front of me to have them walk me through how to get the motor to go forward and reverse with ABC connected correctly.

So now Im bummed, gonna work on the Maxx this weekend.

Anyone have this happen lol..
    Don't know what happened...but, you are having the EXACT SAME problem I'm having with my Mamba Monster X and 1512 2650kV. No sensor cable, motor works perfectly...plug in sensor cable, and motor stops working. When I called Castle, they only "solution x they suggested was sending in both units. While it is possible the sensor board is factory-defective/dead, it could also be something to do with the sensor within the ESC. Just checked the tracking info, and it arrived in Kansas City this morning. I'm guessing I should expect to hear from them by Tuesday.

Btw, in tightening the screws holding the motor to the motor plate, did you remember to use Loctite?

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    With ABC not plugged in right and the sensor cable plugged in, the motor just vibrates angrily!
    That's exactly what mine did...same ESC & motor as Op...except that the ABC wires were ALL connected correctly, and the motor still "vibrated"...until it completely stopped (when sensor wire is connected, but runs when there no sensor wire).

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    If you do not have a Castle field card, could you just reverse the throttle settings on the Tx? I don't remember if doing it that way will affect the top speed in forward and reverse though...

Good luck!
    I think that's what it would do if you do it via the transmitter/receiver. The esc would think everything is normal, but it would go really fast in reverse and slow in forward to the user. A buddy of mine did that with his talion many years ago. Had no clue, just drove it that way. Was his first land based RC (had quads before that). I switched a couple motor wires and flipped his remote, then he promptly launched it 40 feet off a ramp! lol!

RC Competitor
    Yes everything metal on metal i use blue loctitie.
    All plugged on correctly now and still with sensor plugged in nothing. I hope i sont have to send it in.
    Thanks buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Don't know what happened...but, you are having the EXACT SAME problem I'm having with my Mamba Monster X and 1512 2650kV. No sensor cable, motor works perfectly...plug in sensor cable, and motor stops working. When I called Castle, they only "solution x they suggested was sending in both units. While it is possible the sensor board is factory-defective/dead, it could also be something to do with the sensor within the ESC. Just checked the tracking info, and it arrived in Kansas City this morning. I'm guessing I should expect to hear from them by Tuesday.

Btw, in tightening the screws holding the motor to the motor plate, did you remember to use Loctite?

RC Competitor

Good luck!
    Castle card on its way along w the bluetooth module. Thank you

Castle card on its way along w the bluetooth module. Thank you
    Just remember that, while programming via the card is "good", programming via software on your computer is MUCH better. When programming via the card, there are several settings you won't be able to do anything with, as those settings can ONLY be programmed via the Castle Link software. Two of the most important are the throttle & breaking curves.

Also, programming via the software allows you to save your settings...even multiple settings for the same ESC. Plus, if your ESC ever needed to be shipped in for repair/replacement, when it's returned to you, installing a previously-saved seeing configuration is a lot easier than having to manually reprogram everything. With the card, you lose ALL of that ability.

RC Competitor
    Just wish i was able to run it today. Its a decent day here in NJ for weather. I could just not use w the sensor...
    Whatcha all think?

RC Competitor
    motor running fine without the sensor. talked w castle today. They said I need to wait for my link to arrive. they think the error code is starting up power. Program it to 100 percent and should fix the problem.. We will see.

Have some good news for you...I just heard back from Castle regarding the motor & ESC.

As I already knew...and, as I believe I already mentioned (just can't remember if it was in here, or via PM)...the motor had been repaired. Over the phone, they didn't tell me, specifically, what the problem was, but I do know that there was more than one problem, and all problems were taken care of. While it is possible that both of our motors were factory-defective, it is also possible that the motors may have been damaged sure to a defect within the ESC.

As for the ESC, at the time of the phone call, it hadn't even been looked at (which I, also, previously mentioned), yet, so they're was no way of knowing what the problem might be. In the end, instead of repairing the ESC, they had to replace it. Whatever the problem(s) was/were (there might have been multiple), not only was the unit factory-defective, but it was, obviously, beyond being 'repairable'. Again, it is possible that both units (motor & ESC) were factory-defective...but, it is equally possible that it was (initially) only the ESC, and that the ESC was the cause of the immediate damage to the motor.

As the 'consumer', unless there's some paperwork in the box (and, of there is, I'll let you know), is unlikely we'll ever know exactly what the problems were...but, as long as everything operates as it's supposed to, I probably wouldn't care (actually, it's not so-much that I "wouldn't care", as or is I "don't really need to know"). Anyway, Castle shipped them yesterday, and, according to current USPS tracking (if USPS tracking is to be believed, coming from Kansas), the return should be delivered on Monday. In the meantime, I'll get started on building my new XRAY XB2C 2021.

Good news: Finally got to test the replacement ESC, and repaired motor (which arrived a little less than a week ago...once again, not that Castle bothered to tell me what, exactly, the problems were). First, I tested the ESC & motor, without actually installing either in the vehicle. Without a sensor cable (I'll get to this in a minute), everything works perfectly. After installing the motor to the motor plate, estimating the correct position for the pinion (I was off, but by less than 1mm...will adjust later), installing into the vehicle, and getting the mesh just right (on first attempt), I tested everything again (albeit, again, without the sensor cable). With the original ESC, remember that the spur & pinion just "vibrated"...with the new ESC, we have liftoff.

Bad news: Unfortunately, I can't text6 (yet) with the sensor cable. Why? Because, in shipping the replacement ESC, not only did they not remembered to remove the sensor cable harness from the defective ESC, but they also didn't remember to include a new sensor cable harness. So.......I just called Castle, and they're shipping out a sensor cable harness to me. At least the vehicle is (sorta-kinda) 'operational'.

No worries, tho, as I still have a few other things needing to be done. In the meantime, until the sensor cable harness arrives, I've got a few other vehicles needing my attention...e especially my Class 3 Comp Crawler rig, which I need to make certain is ready for Scale Nationals, which starts two weeks from today. Here's a sneak-peak (pay no attention to the finger holding the ESC in place...lol)

Glad to hear/see that you're almost there!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Glad to hear/see that you're almost there!
    Me, too. Now, if the Op (Mag1) could get his back (same ESC/motor combo). Evidentially, fights a few people have had identical, or similar, problems with MMX units coming from this particular production run. Maybe that explains why they are just replacing them, as opposed to hearing them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12