RC poster

Want to upgrade power system

I have the vxl 4 x 4 pede, I would love to find a budget motor esc combo that would be more efficient on 3s and have more power than the stock setup. Would really love it if it had more power then a stock hoss! Also would like not to have to modify the chassis but will if itís the only way. I already have swapped out all the plastic shafts for metal and have aluminum hubs on my rims. Thanks in advance

What's your budget range?

Generally speaking, I would get an ESC from a reputable brand (Hobbywing, Castle, etc), and get a cheaper motor.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC poster
    I would like to find a package for under $120. I like the idea of a reputable esc and a cheaper motor.

thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post

Generally speaking, I would get an ESC from a reputable brand (Hobbywing, Castle, etc), and get a cheaper motor.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by inthetrees View Post
    I would like to find a package for under $120. I like the idea of a reputable esc and a cheaper motor.

thanks for the help!

Looking for maybe a link to a build thread?

RC Racer

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Invincibl View Post
    Is this combo realy an uppgrade over the vxl-3s ? I meassured my velenion 3500 motor to 3655.

I have this sized system in my backslash, only in xerun edition, I would call it step 1 power uppgrade from vxl system, but i think the Hoss setup have more torcue due to the longer 3670 motor can.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbywing-3...kAAOSwVP5cLQ2a
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-22-2021 at 02:02 AM. Reason: merge

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by TWG2000 View Post
    I have this sized system in my backslash, only in xerun edition, I would call it step 1 power uppgrade from vxl system, but i think the Hoss setup have more torcue due to the longer 3670 motor can.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbywing-3...kAAOSwVP5cLQ2a
    Did you have to make any chassis modifications to get this one to fit?

RC Racer
    No it fits in slash 4x4 lcg chassi, but you have to check the dimensions and see if it fits in stampede 4x4 chassi.

RC poster
    I have the HW 3660 combo in my Stampede 4x4. If I remember correctly, I had to Dremel away just a bit of the post closest to the motor for it to fit. I didn't like the way the esc mounted to the posts, so I ended up removing the posts completely and mounting the esc flush with the chassis with heavy duty velcro.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    My 3660 can and a couple others for with no
    Modifications, itís the equivalent of a 550 size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Invincibl View Post
    You would want the max10 sct/3660sl combo, but really, it's not a ton better than stock. The motor runs on the warm side on 3S.

The non-sct max10 is lower amps.

https://www.amazon.com/38010200-Max1.../dp/B073DCT1X8

You'd be better off running the max10 sct esc with a hobbystar 3665/3100kv instead... it will fit, but it's tight:

I did have to modify the chassis a little bit to fit that. Removed one of the esc mount stand offs:

That did ok for me for a while, but I run hard in grass 90% of the time, so I eventually just got a slash chassis and put a 1/8th system in mine, which I now run on 4S. It's pretty crazy, but doesn't run hot for me.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post

Definitely, it's way easier for a company to make a cheap motor than a cheap ESC. I have a "nicer" 1/10 scale motor on my brothers Rally but it is ran off a $25 ESC and it is terrible, the motor hates to start from a standstill (I'm sure my super high gearing doesn't help) and the braking is practically nonexistent.
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.