RC Racer

TRX Rustl4r Revival/Resurrection/Rebuild

Just marking a place for my (re)build thread with my Traxxas Rustler 4x4 VXL. I (January 2nd, 2021) was group bashing/drag racing in a parking lot with close-by power lines, and lost signal/had radio interference at WOT, and the truck hit a parking-block/curb at what im guessing was between 49-55-ish-plus MPH. It was out of sight behind a bush on impact, so i heard it, then looked and only saw a "poof" of cement-dust blowing away in the wind!

Time for a chassis-up-re-build!

This first post has some carnage photos from when i got home later.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Trx4newb View Post
    Just marking a place for my (re)build thread with my Traxxas Rustler 4x4 VXL. I (January 2nd, 2021) was group bashing/drag racing in a parking lot with close-by power lines, and lost signal/had radio interference at WOT, and the truck hit a parking-block/curb at what im guessing was between 49-55-ish-plus MPH. It was out of sight behind a bush on impact, so i heard it, then looked and only saw a "poof" of cement-dust blowing away in the wind!

Not shown, is the differential up front having been "cocked"-inward to where the l.f. output was pointing more or less forwards, and right, like it was pointing to the N.E. roughly 2 o'clock.

Also, slipper shaft bent when the center shaft bent. Gonna have to check rear diff too, im sure!
    Hopefully the new-ish aluminum diff case helped protect my fancy XO-1 diff gears! ***Toooot!-tooot!*"
    Sorry, that was just my own horn. Haha!

Here is the first few stages of my rebuild, only thing not shown too well, is the chassis clear-coat i sprayed on, then applied automotive wax and sealant to it, hopefully help keep her clean-ish initially??

HW Ez-Run MAX8 ESC, and matching 2200kv BL SL motor. As you can see, its quite-the-tight-fit!

RC Racer

More carnage pics?

RC Racer
    Not shown, is the differential up front having been "cocked"-inward to where the l.f. output was pointing more or less forwards, and right, like it was pointing to the N.E. roughly 2 o'clock.

Also, slipper shaft bent when the center shaft bent. Gonna have to check rear diff too, im sure!
    Hopefully the new-ish aluminum diff case helped protect my fancy XO-1 diff gears! ***Toooot!-tooot!*"
    Sorry, that was just my own horn. Haha!

Here is the first few stages of my rebuild, only thing not shown too well, is the chassis clear-coat i sprayed on, then applied automotive wax and sealant to it, hopefully help keep her clean-ish initially??

HW Ez-Run MAX8 ESC, and matching 2200kv BL SL motor. As you can see, its quite-the-tight-fit!

Today i got the RX mounted in its place, and ESC/servo wired into RX box.. tomorrow will be diff R&I. Cannot wait. To run the new BEAST! Excuse the messy workbench/area.... last week, all of 3 RC's were DOWN for their count!! Lol been slowly organizing, but usually (thanks to severe ADHD, i start a project, then, while reaching for a tool, or screw, or....wait! .....i KNOW! I need to cut these shock towers up for the TRX4, so i can have the shocks be THIS/that-way!! Lol

You really did a number on that car didn't you. Might as well just buy a whole new one and use old for spares.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    You really did a number on that car didn't you. Might as well just buy a whole new one and use old for spares.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Nnaahhhh!

Im the definition of ADHD, therefore I'm by nature, a "tinkerer". I fix 1:1 cars for a living, so this scale/hobby/this side of the auto-world....its my "Zen* so-to-speak. Plus, hardly any of my parts were stock, though i just so happened to get ultra bored/RC-sick missing my R4stBl4r when i smoked the Surpass 2000kv AND the HW 10BL120 ESC!!! I said, screw it! Even if i must overheat just to bash for 5-8minutes, ill throw the VXL-3s power sys back in, just till my new setup arrives!

Then came the SOTG RC club meet, as per every sunday.

I get flashbacks, like when i cartwheeled my 98Neon R/T off an 8 or 9 foot embankment due to icy roads/2+ft of snow....i digress

And only kidding, 'twas a bummer and all, but i knew when i smoked that HW esc, i had to upgrade (mod 1.0 gearing, 22/36 pinion/spur). So the interference that fateful Sunday was more or less what i like to call "divine timing!"

At least thats how i explain it to the wife. Lol!

RC Racer
    So, i finished up this Revival approx. 4-ish days ago, have been CRAZY busy, so i havent posted progress yet.

Initially, i wanted to do EVERYTHING brand-shiny-darn-new....but soon grew tired of waiting for either the LHS to stock what i needed, most of the common RC websites to get stock/off backorder...and realized the MOST damage from my wreck occurred to the very-front of chassis/bulkhead, meaning that the rear assembly should still be viable for some fun! Heck, ill just sit on the new parts, waiting for the rest, and enjoy every bit of life left in the rear assy' of my R4stBlur's 7th life! Lol!

Decided to start with 18t Pinion, 38T spur gear, and right off the bat, i was NOT expecting 6s to be so.....WWWWWOOWWWWwwwwzAAA!!!

...EXTREME?!...

Loving it, though its taking some REAL throttle control, and lots of time adapting to the power increase! (Approx. Double, speaking strictly in battery-cell-count-terms/voltage).

Will grab some body-on pics ASAP, gotta rep my new TBR exo-cage! Which i should have just BOUGHT day ONE owning a R4stler!! Smh. ..

Feel free to ask anything i may not have clarified!

RC Racer
    So, i finished up this Revival approx. 4-ish days ago, have been CRAZY busy, so i havent posted progress yet.

Initially, i wanted to do EVERYTHING brand-shiny-darn-new....but soon grew tired of waiting for either the LHS to stock what i needed, most of the common RC websites to get stock/off backorder...and realized the MOST damage from my wreck occurred to the very-front of chassis/bulkhead, meaning that the rear assembly should still be viable for some fun! Heck, ill just sit on the new parts, waiting for the rest, and enjoy every bit of life left in the rear assy' of my R4stBlur's 7th life! Lol!

Decided to start with 18t Pinion, 38T spur gear, and right off the bat, i was NOT expecting 6s to be so.....WWWWWOOWWWWwwwwzAAA!!!

...EXTREME?!...

Loving it, though its taking some REAL throttle control, and lots of time adapting to the power increase! (Approx. Double, speaking strictly in battery-cell-count-terms/voltage).

Will grab some body-on pics ASAP, gotta rep my new TBR exo-cage! Which i should have just BOUGHT day ONE owning a R4stler!! Smh. ..

Feel free to ask anything i may not have clarified!

Just some follow up pics, no "birthday suit" this time, bahahaha. Things are well and good on the new build so far, however, i believe i smoked one or both diffs?? Too much power 4-6s, AND i EVEN UPGRADED to XO-1 spec diff. Ring & pinion gears a while before my big wreck!!! Crazy-powerful! Matter of fact, im not even a huge fan of 6s, yet..

I spent more time skidding down the asphalt road where i live, on MY ROOF, than i spent bashing on first outing! Lol!!!

I DO thoroughly, i mean....

THOROUGHLY enjoy 4s though! (Punch level 1 of 9) -mostly to save drivetrain wear tbh-

RC Racer
    Small update:

Things have been AWESOMELY fun with 4s, and punch setting #1!! Also got steering/alignment better-dialed, so top speeds aren't as sketchy . Been running a 16T pinion and 38t spur, today i tried a 19t pinion and whoah!

Also added front GTR shocks (long), but i wanted to try @Greatscott xx-longs on all four corners, except i got impatient, and the LHS finally re-stocked a couple sets of long GTR's, and still, have not been disappointed! Love em, they really do live up to the hype! (Need to play with spring rates) but awesome nonetheless!! Oh, and @Greatscott how did you end up liking your quad-xxLong gtr shock setup?? Just for curiosity-sake??

Also, if I haven't yet said this, I am absol utely LOVING 2.2 / 3.0 tires on the R4stBlur! The truck handles amazingly feels much more planted and combined with front and rear sway bars absolutely handles magnificently compared to stock or with any other combination of parts I've used up to this point!! Hardly ever flip over in turns, can finally make semi-heavy throttle "laps" in whatever "layout" i make up in my dome-piece-. In the middle of my asphalt street, without having to dang-near-STOP before turning. Lol!

2.2s also seem MUCH easier on parts when it comes "tumble-wumble"-time!

Fraser Valley, British Columbia, Canada-The Wet Coast!
    That loks pretty nice! Seriously, a TON of damage. Great job rebuilding it, though! Odd that the diffs didn't hold up, since the XO-1 itself is 6S, and people have done 8S on those before.
    Slash 2WD Vision Edition
    100+ posts, here I come!

RC Racer
    Totally decided to "copy" @Panther6834 and picked up & "mock" installed a SAWEEEEET! new stainless steel battery tray off Amazon, but have yet to fully/truly install it. @Panther6834 did u need to trim any of the tray, OR chassis to squeeze it in the original battery nook? Its a VERRRRY tight/forced fit, presuming I did get the proper one for my chassis? Lol.

Also, i see the spacer/mount it came with for the forward-part of tray, and have mounted it similarly to yours...but given the short baby screws they supplied, i assume the tray does need to be fit into stock recess, flush against said-spacer?

Mine fit without any problems. There should be 5 screws...1 long one, and 4 shorter ones, as well as the oval-shaped metal piece that you have to shove (deep) into the recess on the bottom. I'm not using the included velcro straps, as they're too short to fit around 4S packs.

First, two of the shorter screws go through the bottom, and into the two holes on the bottom of the 'riser bracket'. Next, 2 more of the shorter screws go through the top of the battery tray, into the 'riser bracket'. Finally, the long screw goes through the hole at the motor end, and screws into the oval-shaped piece.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Mine fit without any problems. There should be 5 screws...1 long one, and 4 shorter ones, as well as the oval-shaped metal piece that you have to shove (deep) into the recess on the bottom. I'm not using the included velcro straps, as they're too short to fit around 4S packs.

First, two of the shorter screws go through the bottom, and into the two holes on the bottom of the 'riser bracket'. Next, 2 more of the shorter screws go through the top of the battery tray, into the 'riser bracket'. Finally, the long screw goes through the hole at the motor end, and screws into the oval-shaped piece.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
    I fully understand the non-existent instructions lol! However, maybe i ordered the one for the older? Chassis? Or maybe my LHS for some reason, had NEW stock, of OUTDATED chassis??! Lol! Maybe my chassis just needs its cherry popped, so-to-speak? Haha. So ive been running 2, 2s, 520mah hardcase packs (with the factory installed-battery-tray-side-foams) and id have to install the batts one their sides, vertically, and reallllllly WEDGE one against the other so ad to "squish" the foam down a bit and theyd kinda fit after flipping factory batt-strap 180. Anyways...

They tray feels like THAT kinda force AND some, and it doesn't seem like the cutting was very accurate according to what my chassis has blocking the tray's ease-of-install.

That was a harsh crash! What did you do to the diffs? Blow out the spider gears or tear up the ring and pinion?
    Rusty 4x4 aka Beater Bomb

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie Figs View Post
    That was a harsh crash! What did you do to the diffs? Blow out the spider gears or tear up the ring and pinion?
    Actually, if you are refferring to the crash damage....i hit that curb so GD hard, its probably STILL wondering what day it really is! Lol! I have metal differential "cups", therefore on impact, the diff was actually pushed like 45 degrees INWARD toward chassis, by only the left front axle/area, so it actually spun the whole case INSIDE the "differential housing". Causing it to no longer rotate, as it was then "wedged" between front bumper and chassis with left output shaft pointing skyward

RC Racer
    Just some follow up pics, no "birthday suit" this time, bahahaha. Things are well and good on the new build so far, however, i believe i smoked one or both diffs?? Too much power 4-6s, AND i EVEN UPGRADED to XO-1 spec diff. Ring & pinion gears a while before my big wreck!!! Crazy-powerful! Matter of fact, im not even a huge fan of 6s, yet..

I spent more time skidding down the asphalt road where i live, on MY ROOF, than i spent bashing on first outing! Lol!!!

I DO thoroughly, i mean....

THOROUGHLY enjoy 4s though! (Punch level 1 of 9) -mostly to save drivetrain wear tbh-

If u refer to this, i actually hadnt loc-tited the screws holding ring gear to alum. Diff cup, so they vibrated loose causing the spider gears to walk it out and f each other up!

If u refer to this, i actually hadnt loc-tited the screws holding ring gear to alum. Diff cup, so they vibrated loose causing the spider gears to walk it out and f each other up!

Aww crap! That sucks! This is what I was asking about, not the crash damage.
    Rusty 4x4 aka Beater Bomb