CHEAP 3D printers that are good quality.

In case you didnít see my other thread, I decided to scratch the snow build thing and get a 3D printer, with this I can make my own parts, make skis (if I still want them) and use it for other things. I want a cheap 3D printer that is good quality and under $400 *CAD* before tax.
    Thanks in advance.
    1/16 E-Revo VXL, Bandit XL-5 Just Gonna Send It!!

Are you still gonna get the maxx
    When You Feel Down Send It To The MOON!!

also look at the ender 3 pro

Yes, maxx in summer for b-day 3d printer from my wallet or Xmas next year

It’s 420 what about the ender 3

oh i did not realize that it say 209 OH that American not Canadian Stupid me The ender 3 pro is probably worth the extra money tbh from what i have searched up but the regular one is fine too

Lol it’s all good.

I’d get that but it’s 300 bucks cad

What do u think? 3d printer or ALOT of hop-ups?
    EDIT: I’m thinking hop ups, now that there’s a snow plow!

Quote Originally Posted by ThatTraxxas View Post
    In case you didnít see my other thread, I decided to scratch the snow build thing and get a 3D printer, with this I can make my own parts, make skis (if I still want them) and use it for other things. I want a cheap 3D printer that is good quality and under $400 *CAD* before tax.
    Thanks in advance.
    I don't know about 3D printers but I will say that you might get this thread taken down for violating forum Guidelines. Though Traxxas Alley is meant for off topic conversations, it is stated that talking about other manufacturers products remains excluded. I assume it means competitors (other RC companies, not 3D printer companies) though Traxxas Admins like to keep this community purely Traxxas based, and rightfully so.

"When possible, post things related to Traxxas RCs in their respective subforums. It's fine to post them here if they're sufficiently non-tech-related and don't fit into an existing thread in that model's subforum (i.e., "Would a Jato or Revo be better for my goals?"), but double-check first! However, other manufacturers' products remain excluded."

Other communities such as those on reddit are more likely suitable for your question. r/3dprinting is a good subreddit to start with.

Remember, I am not an admin and as such I have no authority over this forum. I am merely reminding you of the rules and warning of a potential takedown of your thread.

Have a good day!
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

In terms of upgrades, I compiled this list a while ago in hopes that I can help someone decide what purchases they would like to make to improve their Traxxas vehicle.

It really depends on what you want to do. Every upgrade is for a different aspect of your car and depending on how you drive, where you drive, and even why you drive you will want to get different upgrades. These upgrades can improve power, durability, rigidity, handling, control, scale realism, and reduce weight just to name a few.

Basher: If you are looking to bash then you will probably want as much durability as possible, you can do this by switching your stock parts to ones made out of a stronger material. Some common upgrades include using RPM arms instead of the stock ones, these RPM parts are made of plastic but are more flexible than their counterparts, this allows them to flex in an impact instead of breaking. You can find RPM parts at the link below.
    https://www.rpmrcproducts.com/
    It is also common for people to use aluminum parts in places where the rigidity is favored as it is light and typically very durable. Another upgrade usually seen on bashers is an upgrade to power. Some people do this by switching to a more powerful motor or ESC, others switch to a completely new power system all together. Castle Creations is a company that makes high end brushless systems for a variety of RCs. You can find Castle Creations at the link below.
    https://home.castlecreations.com/
    If you upgrade your power system then you will probably want to upgrade your drive-train, I talk more about this in the Racing/Speed section so make sure to check that out should you plan to.

Stunts/Jumping: So you would like to turn your car into a plane? Well a lot of these upgrades are the same as the Basher section, like switching out plastic parts for stronger plastic or aluminum ones. Another upgrade that is very useful and pretty common for jumping and especially stunts is getting bigger wheels and tires, this allows for more in air control. Now, if you are getting bigger wheels/tires then it would definitely be preferable that you upgrade your power system to compensate. Yet again I would recommend that you use a Castle brushless system (linked above).

Racing/Speed: Is speed in your name? If so then there are some basic upgrades that will really improve the performance of your RC and can potentially lead you to glorious victory! A big thing for racing is keeping the weight down but making your vehicle as stiff as possible. This is most often done by using aluminum and carbon fiber parts wherever possible, but be weary, these parts can be very pricey and can break easily under high impact. Using high performance servos that are fast an have a lot of torque also improves handling which is crucial for high level racing. You can find high end servos from Savox linked below.
    https://www.savoxusa.com/
    Most races have certain requirements on what motors/power systems you can use, but for people that are trying to go as fast as they can there is no limit and upgrading to a better ESC/motor is a really good way to go faster. When going above 40mph your body and it's aerodynamics can actually start to affect performance. If you have that need for speed then you will most likely want to consider replacing your body with one more streamline. The website linked below has an abundance of aerodynamic bodies made specifically for high speeds.
    https://deltaplastikusa.com/collections/speed-run-bodies
    Two other things to consider when racing or going fast are shocks and tires. When going fast tires tend to lose stability due to the high centrifugal forces, to minimise this a good thing to do is get belted tires. I linked a company below that is known for making really good tires for a variety of RC’s.
    https://www.prolineracing.com/
    In terms of shocks it’s all about what type of surface you plan to drive on, how fast you plan to go, and the overall stance of your car but a general rule of thumb is that you want your shocks to be pretty stiff.

Trailing/Crawling: Do you like to take it slow, maybe take in the scenery? When it comes to trailing it's all in the details, it's all about being as realistic as possible. Linked below is a website it is known for having some of the best scale details this side of the hobby.
    https://store.rc4wd.com/
    Chances are that your stock servo isn't going to be strong enough to handle all of that crawling, you might want to get a stronger one. Again, Savox (linked above) is a company that produces high end servos exactly for this reason. When crawling you also want as much weight as low as possible, the best way of doing this is to buy brass parts in replacement for plastic ones to lower the center gravity of your vehicle. These can easily be found on Amazon which is linked below.
    https://www.amazon.com/
    Most of the time the stock power system will be adequate when it comes to trailing, but in the case that you are craving more speed or torque Castle Creations (linked above) also makes sensored brushless systems made specifically for crawling. Now much like racing/speed builds shocks and tires can make a really big difference in your vehicle's performance, a good set of tires will go a long way!

Of course I only went over the basics and there is way more to it than just that but a general rule stands no matter what.... Have fun! Mess around with different upgrades and find out what you like, personally I go for upgrades that increase durability because that means less downtime from breaking parts.

I hope this helps!

Yes this will be my “basher” and knew about these upgrades. So I know what I will need and your list gives more things that may need upgrades. I’m a stunts/jump/bash kinda person. Thanks for your help.
    I don’t plan on upgrading the esc/ motor as 4s is strong enough for me.
    Last edited by ThatTraxxas; 01-14-2021 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Forgot to type sentence

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPropils View Post
    I don't know about 3D printers but I will say that you might get this thread taken down for violating forum Guidelines. Though Traxxas Alley is meant for off topic conversations, it is stated that talking about other manufacturers products remains excluded. I assume it means competitors (other RC companies, not 3D printer companies) though Traxxas Admins like to keep this community purely Traxxas based, and rightfully so.

"When possible, post things related to Traxxas RCs in their respective subforums. It's fine to post them here if they're sufficiently non-tech-related and don't fit into an existing thread in that model's subforum (i.e., "Would a Jato or Revo be better for my goals?"), but double-check first! However, other manufacturers' products remain excluded."
    You might want to re-read the rules.

First..... You can talk about other manufacturers products all day if you wish. You just can't ask for support of non-Traxxas items.

Second. If there is a problem where something is posted the administrators will move it.

Third.... There has been many threads about 3D printers in this forum, so it's not going to be taken down just for the reason of being about 3D printers.

Other communities such as those on reddit are more likely suitable for your question. r/3dprinting is a good subreddit to start with.

Remember, I am not an admin and as such I have no authority over this forum. I am merely reminding you of the rules and warning of a potential takedown of your thread.

Have a good day!
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post

First..... You can talk about other manufacturers products all day if you wish. You just can't ask for support of non-Traxxas items.

Second. If there is a problem where something is posted the administrators will move it.

Third.... There has been many threads about 3D printers in this forum, so it's not going to be taken down just for the reason of being about 3D printers.
    Please leave the moderating to those tapped to do the job.

Thanks.
    The Super Derecho

Sorry for the commotion I caused, I didn’t know I couldn’t. My bad.

are you gonna get that snowplow lol

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post

Thanks for correcting me, I stated that off of my understanding of the rules. It was more of a heads up just in case, not necessarily an order to follow the guidelines. I am still learning as everyone else, I can't say for sure that a thread may be closed due to breaking the rules but I can make an assumption off of my interpretation of the guidelines and warn others if they are getting close to, or are crossing the line. Such is why I paste the rules into my reply, that way the thread creator can decide if they are breaking the rues or not. Like you stated if something is wrong then the admins will remove the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Please leave the moderating to those tapped to do the job.

Thanks.
    Sorry I was merely informing the OP of the rules in case he had not seen them before, I know that he is new to the forums such as I a few months back. My intentions were not to disrupt the thread but to encourage a more Traxxas based discussion.

Sorry for the commotion I caused, I didn’t know I couldn’t. My bad.
    You're fine, it was more of my bad. From what I've seen on these forums people tend to ignore the rules when it comes to non-Traxxas products being promoted (the admins are not to keen on such conversations). I was just trying to prevent another closed thread.

Maybe, idk I might get other things. Are you?

i might lol it would be fun

3d printer. If you really think about it, you can print lots of RC related parts. Granted, 3d prints are not as strong as RC plastics, but if it's designed and printed right, it can still be very durable and makes DIY much easier. I'd get the Ender 3 Pro over the Ender 3, since the Pro has a thicker extrusion for the y-axis base (extra stability for more precision), upgraded PSU (power supply unit; smaller, quieter, more efficient, etc), and magnetic printing bed (easy to remove prints).

The only thing I would suggest you upgrading immediately is the bed leveling springs ($10 on Amazon). The stock springs are rather dinky and don't keep the bed leveling consistent (compresses unevenly in different parts of the springs) so it's really difficult to get the bed level. I was able to get the first print fine, but for the second print, the bed appears to have shifted down a bit and it started to have a bit of adhesion issues. I "releveled" the bed (or so I thought) again, and the nozzle was a bit too close to the bed, so now there's some filament pressed into the bed that I can't take off (might be just me, but other people have had the same issues with the springs as well). The springs are coming Friday for me, so I will see how that goes.

Hope this helps!
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

I've had the Anet E12 and put a Keenovo silicone heater on the bed with a borosilicate glass plate on top, huge improvement when making larger 3D items, no more warpage. For the money it has worked great. Using Blender and Solidworks...
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    I've had the Anet E12 and put a Keenovo silicone heater on the bed with a borosilicate glass plate on top, huge improvement when making larger 3D items, no more warpage. For the money it has worked great. Using Blender and Solidworks...
    I have several Traxxas related 3D models in Autocad (Trx-4 and E-revo accessories) that would probably be cool prints. The question is, can you even use Autocad for 3D printing?

You can get A LOT of printer for under $400. But, getting a printer that will build parts that will work in the snow, you'll have to go a little higher than that. Most, in not all sub $400 printers are very good at printing PLA and PETG, but when you move on to things like ABS, you have to invest a little more because ABS is very temperamental to print with.

Why ABS?
    Traxxas' ABS with its fiber infusion is brittle in the snow, not terribly, but shocks that would be just fine at 70*/f will snap parts at 25*/f. Non-infused ABS, like what you'd print with is more brittle, but will withstand the cold better that PLA or PETG. Both of those are extremely brittle in the cold.

So, to print with ABS you'll need a hooded printer that holds in the heat. Plus, higher priced printers are more tuned for it out of the box, so do better at it. The first issue with ABS is that it stinks when it is printed with. The second issue, and more problematic than the smell, is that ABS wants to warp, badly. Without proper temperature control, your part simply will not work.

We all have grandiose plans for our printers, but I have seen people that jump in big and try to do things like make their own RC car from the get-go tend fall hard in disillusionment. Start smaller, make parts and pieces, see what works, what doesn't, and take your lessons learned and apply them to the next part. The skis are actually not a bad place to start, but, at the very least, you'll want them in PETG at least.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

I have several Traxxas related 3D models in Autocad (Trx-4 and E-revo accessories) that would probably be cool prints. The question is, can you even use Autocad for 3D printing?
    You have to look at your "Slicing Software" used to operate your 3D printer... Then you will be able to determine that. I use Blender.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall