RC poster

Xmaxx tires trash

3 sets in a month tires are trash truck is useless if you can't drive it traxxas said it must be the surfaces im driving on I guess you can't drive a xmaxx on a grass field or some dirt seems like a pretty useless truck for the amount t of money it cost where do you guys drive your xmaxx

RC Enthusiast
    I shredded my tires the first time out. Which is not a big deal especially with the motor I’m running. I purchased another set of tires a day I purchased it knowing I would blow them out. Much better options out there anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris k View Post
    3 sets in a month tires are trash truck is useless if you can't drive it traxxas said it must be the surfaces im driving on I guess you can't drive a xmaxx on a grass field or some dirt seems like a pretty useless truck for the amount t of money it cost where do you guys drive your xmaxx
    First, Welcome to the Traxxas Forums Chris k!

The Traxxas X-Maxx is a mass produced product, so a lot of the stock materials are a cosmetic appearance item and do not last long.

It is like that with a lot of products on the market today. It looks good and solid in the store or on-line; but a lot needs upgraded on the truck to make it perform as seen in their videos; or at the very least, upgraded to be driven as seen in their videos for fairness to Traxxas.

Astounding (actually down right intriguing) that grass and dirt are killing tires that often though for a stock motor I'm assuming. Even my cosmetic stock tires on my all stock 8S X-Maxx at the time lasted a month before the foams deteriorated/disintegrated with zero water runs on them.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 01-15-2021 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Updated.
    Sent from my autonomous device.

RC Racer
    So, what is a good option for tyres then?

I like the look of the Proline Beadlock wheels, but understand that the Proline wheels/tyres are a fair bit heavier than the stock ones...?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RJUK View Post
    So, what is a good option for tyres then?

I like the look of the Proline Beadlock wheels, but understand that the Proline wheels/tyres are a fair bit heavier than the stock ones...?

I went with the MX43 Pro-Loc Badlands because I have a motor now that is capable of destroying any tire not bolted directly to the rims.

However, the BadLands are too heavy for the stock motor to ever give the truck any chance of speed.

A lot of guys are settling on the Duratrax tires that are running stock motors; however, I keep reading reports that they are poorly glued:

https://www.towerhobbies.com/product...iAAEgJROfD_BwE
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 01-15-2021 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Added link.

RC Enthusiast
    I've seen good reviews of the Powerhobby Scorpion tires:

https://www.powerhobby.com/powerhobb...x-maxx-8s.html

Good luck!

smp
    Stephen

Traxxas XMaxx 8S (orange)

RC Enthusiast
    I run the scorpions with the 1100 KV motor and the max 5 ESC. They’re holding up so far.

RC Champion
    My stock 8s tires have been patched up with CA couple times around the bead area, but true beadlocks are too heavy for my motor/esc and they can lead to other broken driveline parts from watching my friends who run them. Both those tires look great, anybody have the weight of one mounted tire/wheel assembly for the Duratrax and Power Hobby belted tires?

Wrap your tire in 500 lb kevar string and also put tape over the holes inside the rims of the tires. To keep water and dirt out.

My stock tires have last over a year with heavy bashing. Every run or so. I check the tires to make sure they don't need reglued at the rim. If you don't catch that soon enough it will rip a tire apart as well.

Also water in tire will make it imbalance and put more force on the tire as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Just got duratrax lockup x tires, all I can say is that they’re awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    I have tried tape over the holes i have a couple tires it seems like the foam inside is bunched up on one side I have not got these tires wet

RC Racer
    My stock tires didn't last a month either foams exploded traxxas should read these forums and fix the problem 8 s rated tires Hahahaha ok

If you minimize ballooning that should help make tires last longer. Only tires I've torn was ones I didn't wrap with kevlar string.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    If you minimize ballooning that should help make tires last longer. Only tires I've torn was ones I didn't wrap with kevlar string.

When you wrap them, do you do anything else? Glue them down or cover them with anything? Tempted to don't myself.

RC Champion
    When you wrap them, do you do anything else? Glue them down or cover them with anything? Tempted to don't myself.

I think Acidic01 mean to put a kevlar wire around the tire road band, literally, sewing the tire with the kevlar wire to reinforce it.

I still have and use my original 6s Traxxas tires (when I use (54/29 gearing). I use my Proline's when I use 54/26 gearing. The big thing with the stock Xmaxx tires (6s or 8s rated) is to take them apart, tape them up, and re-glue them. The other thing to do (this is important) is when you see your tires balloon; back off the throttle. If you do those few tips, you'll be good to go.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

I just take 1 wrap around the outside of tire with kevlar string 500lb. Could use heavy duty fishing line. Tire a knot or other just twist it around and pull tight and ca glue the knot.

I normally didn't put any glue in contact with tire. But have now lost. A few of the strings and they wrap around the hub and cause issue. The string stretched some over time or I never got tight enough in first place...

So now adding a few drops of ca glue in 2 to 4 points to the tire and string.

If tire allows I do 2 wraps like on badlands. I'll take a butter picture when I get home

How I did my xmaxx tires and how I did my 3.8 badlands for erevo

RC Champion

Mate, thanks for your post.

Not to say that the string trick doesn't work really good, and not to say that you didn't do a nice neat job with your tires. It does and you did, but, I personally never cared for the look. It is a lot easier to do, though, than taking the wheels apart to tape and re-glue them.

RC Racer
    What do you mean tape them? What sort of tape? I presume you mean on the inside of the tread part?

RC Racer

Nice one, thanks.

RC Enthusiast
    @Acidic01:
    @Juanmacine:
    @RJUK:
    Thanks very much for showing your photos! I really appreciate seeing what this mod really looks like.

Here's a real newbie question:
    Has anyone tried to use dental floss to accomplish this? Might it be strong enough, or too weak?

Thanks, in advance, for all your advice and support!

smp
    Stephen

Traxxas XMaxx 8S (orange)

Quote Originally Posted by spereira View Post
    Has anyone tried to use dental floss to accomplish this? Might it be strong enough, or too weak?

smp
    No, I never tried the dental floss on the tires, but if you do, make sure to use the minty fresh floss. Nope, just kidding!

You would be better off using monofilament line or better known as fishing line and I've seen the 200lb test line going for $12 bucks for a hundred yards of it or so:

https://www.amazon.com/Triple-Fish-L.../dp/B01BZPPDPK

OR the 300 lb test line:

https://www.amazon.com/Triple-Fish-L.../dp/B01BZPPDSM

Any higher test than those, and you're looking at needing steel leaders to connect the ends because they go beyond 2mm thick and do not make good knots when that thick.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 01-19-2021 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Updated.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by spereira View Post
    @Acidic01:
    @Juanmacine:
    @RJUK:
    Thanks very much for showing your photos! I really appreciate seeing what this mod really looks like.

smp
    I think dental floss not works for this, prefer to use Flux Capacitor and Acidic01 suggestions

What do you mean tape them? What sort of tape? I presume you mean on the inside of the tread part?

Yep, on the inside with the duct tape of your choice. Most guys like and use Gorilla Tape.

Dental floss may work if wrapped it around a few times. But that's going to be trial and error. Kevlar kite 500lb string is like 15$ for a big roll of it.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    Yep, on the inside with the duct tape of your choice. Most guys like and use Gorilla Tape.
    And that works to stop ballooning? Hmm..

And that works to stop ballooning? Hmm..

Yes. Here's a how to vid
    https://youtu.be/dRdrvG7xGO8
    To me with glued on tires to much work. Getting tire unglued...
    I can do the string method in about 1 to 2 mins a tire.. and it doesn't bother me to see the strings.

Of course on street tires like on vid can't really do the string method.. as no treads to keep the string on, and would impact the grip.

To me with glued on tires to much work. Getting tire unglued...
    It does take more time to tape up tires than to string them, but it's not harder to do. I use Acetone and a close container to soak my wheels in for a day to get them unglued. It takes about 15 minutes to tape them, and about 30 minutes to reglue them. As far as more work, like stringing or any other RC project...I think of it more as a labor of love. (lol)

P.S. Good video.

RC Racer
    Can the wheels/tyres be damaged by the acetone?

RC Champion
    Can the wheels/tyres be damaged by the acetone?

Mate, you can use acetone, but beware with it, spoils the plastic wheels. I prefer to boil the wheels, it's more slow procedure, but more secure.

Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    Mate, you can use acetone, but beware with it, spoils the plastic wheels. I prefer to boil the wheels, it's more slow procedure, but more secure.
    No it don't. I've been doing it for years, and haven't messed up a plastic rim yet. I will say this, though, that if you have a chrome coating on the wheel you have to be careful. My XO-1 wheels have a chrome coatings, and I have to be careful to keep the chrome.

What I do is if my XO-1's wheels chrome is all messed up I go ahead and take the chrome off with a tooth brush while the wheel is still soaking in the Acetone. If the chrome is in good shape, as soon as I pull the wheel out of the Acetone I break the bead with my fingers. Then I swish it around in a bucket of hot water before I pull the tire off. Doing so, re-hardens the chrome, so when I handle the wheel (to pull the tire off) the chrome doesn't get goofed up. Like I say, I do it all the time with my XO's wheels, and it works really well.

When I did my Xmaxx wheels, they're not coated, so I didn't have to do anything other than soak them, break the bead with my fingers, and take the tires off. From there I re-glued my foams (mine were made up of several pieces, and weren't glued very well) with contact cement. Then I taped my tires (similarly to the video), re-glued them, and then balanced everything up. In post #30 I didn't include the balancing in my 30 minutes. Balancing usually takes me another 30 to 45 minutes.

Last edited by ReglarGuy; 01-22-2021 at 03:48 AM.

RC Racer
    You have to balance the wheels? How do you do that?

You use a ballance tool like how @ReglarGuy uses.

There are a number of balance tools, and or prop balance tools modded for tires out there Then used golf lead tape to balance.

Imho more used for racing vs bashing.