RC Racer

Best steering servo to use?

Hi folks, I'm looking at getting a TRX-4 sport kit and was wondering what servo is best to use.

I saw some people talking about using the Promodeler DS470BLHV, so was considering that, but today my Promodeler DS930BLHV arrived for my X-Maxx and it's tiny. Is there a reason people don't use those in the TRX-4 instead? Or would that be the best option?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Why not see how you like it, then order another if you like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as you are running an XL5 with an external ESC or an ESC like the HW1080 you'll be fine. That servo has plenty of torque at 6VDC, but its stall amperage is 2.55A, which will fry the XL5's internal BEC.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RJUK View Post
    Hi folks, I'm looking at getting a TRX-4 sport kit and was wondering what servo is best to use.

I saw some people talking about using the Promodeler DS470BLHV, so was considering that, but today my Promodeler DS930BLHV arrived for my X-Maxx and it's tiny. Is there a reason people don't use those in the TRX-4 instead? Or would that be the best option?

Mate, measure the servo, it probably works with the X-Maxx, sure. I think the 960 is a beast for TRX4, better is use a 470. 960, as Greatscott says to you, fry your ESC if it not have a very good internal BEC or you install a external UBEC capable for this amperage draw.

RC Racer
    I was thinking of getting this brushless combo for the TRX-4.

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/334757/

It says the internal BEC can run a servo at 7.4V, - would the 960 likely be OK with this setup, or would it be too much?

Here's what it says:
    Super Internal BEC
    The built-in switch mode BEC with a maximum output of 13A and voltage adjustable between 6V and 7.4V allows the use of various standard servos, high voltage servos and other peripherals.

It's crazy to think the 960 is enough for the X-Maxx - it's so small!

RC Qualifier

It says the internal BEC can run a servo at 7.4V, - would the 960 likely be OK with this setup, or would it be too much?

Here's what it says:
    Super Internal BEC
    The built-in switch mode BEC with a maximum output of 13A and voltage adjustable between 6V and 7.4V allows the use of various standard servos, high voltage servos and other peripherals.

The rated amps of that esc's bec is 6, while the promodeler draws just over 6 at 7.4v. It would be best to get an external bec for it. Even at 6v, it draws 5.5, which is close to the esc's limit. It will create unnecessary heat in your esc. Promodeler suggests using a separate 2s battery for their servos, which makes me think their amp ratings are probably higher then they list. If you run 2s on that specific truck, you can just power it from the truck battery. If you run 3s, there are servos that can run directly off of a 3s (and even 4s) battery, like a holmes hobbies v3.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Here's what it says:
    Super Internal BEC

If you are planning on running the internal BEC on 7.4V, make sure to get to a receiver that can take high voltage. Some receivers can only take 6V max. If you are using an external BEC on 7.4V or higher, then the receiver voltage does not matter, since the ESC is what powers it.
    Last edited by RCWilly; 01-20-2021 at 07:49 PM.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Racer
    Picked up the 20kg Annimos and I'll be paring it with the Hobbywing Fusion 2n1 motor/ESC. The built-in ESC has a 4 amp rating and I'm running the BEC at 6v so I'm thinking I'll be OK.

RC Qualifier
    You guys see the new holmes hobbies servo? 700oz on 2s, 1300 on 4s. I tend to favor the holmes hobbies stuff, since its all designed and build for crawlers. Seems like it would blow away the promodeler. Not saying the promodeler is a bad servo, seems most really like them, but if you want even more axle snapping torque, there's the solution.
    I'd add a link, but me and electronic devices don't seem to get along all that well...

RC Qualifier
    I can't say what's "best," as that is extremely subjective, but I can say that around the $100 pricepoint, I dunno if the MKS HBL550 can be beat. It's so fast and so strong I had to turn everything down. BEC absolutely required, so that might put it right out of the running for some (or many.) But c'mon... 0.085sec and 527oz @ 8.4V. You can run it directly off of 2S LiPo, but that was not even a consideration for me, as I ran but a single pack of 2S and went directly to 3S. Budget didn't allow a 3S-direct servo.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
    You guys see the new holmes hobbies servo? 700oz on 2s, 1300 on 4s. I tend to favor the holmes hobbies stuff, since its all designed and build for crawlers. Seems like it would blow away the promodeler. Not saying the promodeler is a bad servo, seems most really like them, but if you want even more axle snapping torque, there's the solution.
    I'd add a link, but me and electronic devices don't seem to get along all that well...

I'll have to have a look. The Promodeler is 930oz on 2s, so actually higher / more efficient than the Holme Hobbies one. It's also built like a tank and the American Military use them in their drones or something I think. 1300oz is probably a bit much, as is running a 4s battery for the steering on a 3s rig!

I'm curious where you got these numbers from?

The only servo I see on there site is the BLS SHV500v3. And the ratings they posted are not that impressive for torque, only 680oz @14v.

Holmes Hobbies servo:https://holmeshobbies.com/electronics-and-wiring/servos/shv500v3-servo.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    I'm curious where you got these numbers from?

The only servo I see on there site is the BLS SHV500v3. And the ratings they posted are not that impressive for torque, only 680oz @14v.

Holmes Hobbies servo:https://holmeshobbies.com/electronics-and-wiring/servos/shv500v3-servo.
    Its a the shv800, which is new and isn't released yet. I saw a picture on another forum that I think came from Facebook. I don't have Facebook so I only saw the one pic.

Last edited by Steve g; 01-25-2021 at 05:33 PM.

RC Racer
    I think I'll stick with the Promodeler, as it gets 960oz on 2s/8.4v, which is more than that one. I don't want to run a separate battery anyway, so plan to run from a BEC.

If it gets more power from the same voltage it's obviously more efficient.

It's not only about power/torque though, but how it's constructed. The Promodeler servos are designed to take a beating.

Will be interesting to see what the Holmes Hobbies one is made like though, and always good to have another option in the market.

RC Champion
    Its a the shv800, which is new and isn't released yet. I saw a picture on another forum that I think came from Facebook. I don't have Facebook so I only saw the one pic.

Wow, what a beast of servo.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    If you are planning on running the internal BEC on 7.4V, make sure to get to a receiver that can take high voltage. Some receivers can only take 6V max. If you are using an external BEC on 7.4V or higher, then the receiver voltage does not matter, since the ESC is what powers it.
    Thanks! I was about to make this mistake with Flysky receiver. Maybe i'll go with a 25kg servo (powerHD) @6v, ESC internal BEC is 4A cont. should be ok for crawling...?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    Wow, what a beast of servo.
    What would you put this thing in though? Is there such thing as too much torque?

And if you run at higher voltage, does that mean it drains the batteries more/causes more sag than a lower voltage servo?

Trying to get info on this, but there doesn't look to be much yet.

Really it depends on what the construction is like, I guess.

I suppose if you had a 4s or 8s rig you could run this straight from the batteries without a BEC even?

RC Qualifier
    What would you put this thing in though? Is there such thing as too much torque?

And if you run at higher voltage, does that mean it drains the batteries more/causes more sag than a lower voltage servo?

I suppose if you had a 4s or 8s rig you could run this straight from the batteries without a BEC even?

I dont think it drains the battery faster, probably slower since there is no efficiency loss of a bec. I have the shv500v2 running directly off of 4s batteries. Holmes has been around for a while now, I thought longer then promodeler, not sure though, and his servos have set the bar for the competition (for crawlers). Many have copied the design, but they cheap out on the materials. Haven't seen a servo hold up to the abuse these can, the savox 2290 is probably close, hopefully the promodelers hold up well too (seems like it will). I don't own one (promodeler), but I read thier info on their site a while ago, and I like how they think, and seem like a great company who makes great servos.

RC Champion

The Holmes servos are high quality, if I use this, maybe put it in a X-Maxx, but for a crawler is too much brutal stuff.

RC Champion

Mate, I try to answer you in PM, but your inbox is full. Between the two ask, I prefer the PROMODELER.

RC Racer
    Why is that, out of interest?

Sorry - I have now cleared some space in my inbox. I didn't get notified it was full until you tried to reply to me.

RC poster
    Hey Guys,

I am considering adding a BEC and upgrading my servo. With the Traxxas 2262 BEC can I basically run any servo I want, and if so is the Power HD LW-25MG a decent choice?

Thanks,
    Dan
    Last edited by ohmygato; 02-06-2021 at 09:56 PM.

RC Racer
    ive been running a AGFrc 36KG and its been taking a beating its had hours of underwater run time still going

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmygato View Post
    Hey Guys,

I am considering adding a BEC and upgrading my servo. With the Traxxas 2262 BEC can I basically run any servo I want, and if so is the Power HD LW-25MG a decent choice?

Thanks,
    Dan
    I'm running that exact combination. My rig weights around 10kg and so far the servo has worked flawlessly in every situation. It says it's waterproof, but hasn't tested that yet. It's been through water, but not fully submerged for long time.