RC poster

Question Complete noob here with conversion questions

Hey y'all so I got a dude offering me a bandit and I'm considering taking it but I'm not to keen on buggies was humoring doing a draft conversion but it seems like I'd get bored real fast.
    Then I saw a slash lcg 4x4 roller go up for sale and now I'm humoring that as well.
    So what I'd like to do is put as much of the bandit as I can on this roller and lock the differential so that I can turn it into a dedicated drifter.
    I'm super clueless about the bandit though so how much would actually be useable?
    I'm new to the rc hobby in general and have been sticking to traxxas cause that's where I started any help is much appreciated.
    I really have a sour taste in my mouth for forums though so if you would be so kind as to take it easy on my ignorance I'd really appreciate it

First, welcome. I can understand your negativity towards forums, as there can be a lot of poor attitudes, especially coming from those with short fuses who feel questions being asked are "dumb" questions. Something I learned over 35 years ago, while going through the Red Cross Water Safety Instructor course, is, "there's no such thing as a dumb question, to only dumb answers".

That being said, I don't know anything about drifters (other than the type who move from town to town)...but, based on what info you have, or sounds like what you're intending on building is similar to how a no-prep drag car is built. The basis of a Traxxas-based no-prep car is Bandit parts installed on an LCG 2WD Slash chassis. The possible problem I foresee is that the 2WD Bandit arms probably won't work on the 4x4 Slash chassis. It is possible the arms could mount up perfectly...or, you might figure a way to get them mounted. In either case, that's only half...and, the lesser half... of the problem.

The other half of the problem...and, this one is definite...is driveshaft length. I'd have to measure the distance outdrive pin-to-outdrive pin, as I'm uncertain what the difference is (if there is any) between the 2WD transmission, and the rear bullhead on the Slash 4x4. If they're close enough, you could probably attach the Bandit driveshafts to the Slash 4x4 rear bullhead. Unfortunately, the front end of the Bandit was never designed for FWD. That being said, I actually think I could have a partial solution. In comparing the font & rear driveshafts on my Rustler 4x4 (same parts as Slash 4x4), the only difference is in the axle stub. For the front, of you took a Bandit driveshaft, and replaced the outer half of it with the outer half of a Slash 4x4 front driveshaft, you could get it to be within the correct length-range (although, to you might have to slightly-longer shorten one/both halves). Of course, this only matters of you can find a way to attach the Bandit arms to the Slash 4x4 chassis.

If you can make it work, I'm certain there are quite a few people within the Traxxas forum (especially Squeegie) who'd be interested. To be honest, whole I still have absolutely no interest in drift racing (real, ie RC), the idea of such a project intrigues me. I truly do wish you the best of luck...and, remember to post photos as you're working on it.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Racer
    Hello, what power plant came with the bandit? If its got the vxl-3s system, then i guess you could use that and the radio system in the slash, other than that, I dont now what parts will fit.

I have not build a proper drift slash, but I have been testing some setups. My setup list for drifting a slash 4x4 lcg:

Brushless power, vxl-3s or better.
    Rear diff locked 100% with spool or glue.
    Front diff thick oil. Test what works for you.
    Use slipper, not center diff.
    Sway bars, stiffest in the rear.
    Front shock tower modified to fit in the rear.
    4x front shocks or something even shorter. Stiff springs.
    Fast steering servo.

Choose some tires that fits your surface your planning on running.

RC Racer
    Also, I your slash 4x4 doesn't have the LCG chassis, I'd get that

RC Qualifier
    I haven't built a drifter (yet) but I have researched it quite a bit. You will probably have a much easier time of drifting if you use the 4x4 platform, although I am told that a 2wd will give better drifting angles. With a 4x4 platform though, you can do many different setups - including one-way bearings in the front diff.

I'd think about a couple of things here:

Platform itself:
    For Traxxas 2wd platforms, they have a completely different differential than the 4x4- if you look at the layout, the motor sits behind the rear shock tower and admittedly has much fewer after-market options these days. You can buy a diff spool locker, sure - and there is a sealed differential (because the stock one isn't sealed) - but if it were me - the bandit would take a ton of work to get to a drifter-worthy state.

Parts
    The slash 4x4 platform is probably the most after-market supported platforms anywhere - so you have nearly unlimited options with it. For a drifter, (at a minimum) you are going to have to lower and harden the suspension, stiffen the chassis, lock up (or put some heavy diff oil in) the rear differential, and balance out the chassis weight.

The motor for drifting, doesn't need to be brushless, in fact a brushed motor probably will be smoother for drifting. Either can work though. Control is more important than power.

So if it were me - I'd ditch the bandit AND the slash 4x4, and find you a 4tec2.0 roller and use that as a starting place for a drifter. If you just want to do a conversion (which lots of people do like transforming trucks), then the slash 4x4 is probably a decent choice - but I wouldn't use the bandit for parts unless it was just dirt cheap (ie cheaper than buying the parts you'd use alone).

RC Racer
    I forgot, but you need alot more steering angle, I did use the inner hole to mount steering linkage, and trimmed the plastic C hub some to get more angle. Doing this will help, but not give you same steering angle that real rc drift cars have.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TWG2000 View Post
    I forgot, but you need alot more steering angle, I did use the inner hole to mount steering linkage, and trimmed the plastic C hub some to get more angle. Doing this will help, but not give you same steering angle that real rc drift cars have.
    The 4tec2.0 frame has a inner hole for more extreme steering angles - I think you have to drill it out though. The only thing I don't like about the 4tec platform is that it doesn't give much room for motor/esc options.