RC Qualifier

LCG worth it for a basher?

The LCG (obviously) has a lower centre of gravity. This (obviously) means it corners better. But it also means it has a lower ground clearance. In forests and such it doesn't seem like a problem: just push the throttle, and you'll get over anything. But on grass: Lower ground clearence -> more friction -> more motor heat. Will this be a problem? I'll be upgrading to a 2400kv anyways.

I'll be buying a bigger RC, wich will probably be my skatepark basher and general MT. This means my Slash won't need to be quite as universal, so I could specialize it for running on smoother surfaces, like grass and dirt (mostly grass).
    Today I discoverd my slash is about as good in cornering as the Knock Nevis, so it can basicly just run in a straight line. On lower grip surfaces, it spins out quite quickly (I need to tune my diffs, and improve driving skills), but on higher grip/rough surfaces, for example soft sand and grass, it just rolls over. Most of the time, it ends up on its wheels, even if I remove some preload. Also, I have sway bars.

Would the LCG improve handeling enough to be worth the 80 ($95), or should I invest that money in GTR-shocks, or should I just keep it? I don't have a lot of money to spend, because of age

A LCG rig has the same ground clearance as a HCG rig at the diff skids, so really you are just talking about a little bit more surface that is lower. Does it make a difference, not really, and is well worth the performance gain.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bean View Post
    The LCG (obviously) has a lower centre of gravity. This (obviously) means it corners better. But it also means it has a lower ground clearance. In forests and such it doesn't seem like a problem: just push the throttle, and you'll get over anything. But on grass: Lower ground clearence -> more friction -> more motor heat. Will this be a problem? I'll be upgrading to a 2400kv anyways.

I'll be buying a bigger RC, wich will probably be my skatepark basher and general MT. This means my Slash won't need to be quite as universal, so I could specialize it for running on smoother surfaces, like grass and dirt (mostly grass).
    Today I discoverd my slash is about as good in cornering as the Knock Nevis, so it can basicly just run in a straight line. On lower grip surfaces, it spins out quite quickly (I need to tune my diffs, and improve driving skills), but on higher grip/rough surfaces, for example soft sand and grass, it just rolls over. Most of the time, it ends up on its wheels, even if I remove some preload. Also, I have sway bars.

Would the LCG improve handeling enough to be worth the 80 ($95), or should I invest that money in GTR-shocks, or should I just keep it? I don't have a lot of money to spend, because of age
    I mean if handling is what you are going for, then its more than just a LCG as you alluded to. Start with sway bars as they will have the biggest effect on your handling. Then if that's not enough, swap to LCG and tune your springs/shocks to the new weight/layout. Continue on from there with GTR or equivalent shocks.

RC Qualifier
    I already have sway bars. Would you go for the LCG or GTR first? They're the same price. I'll assume I have a 2400kv by then

I think it would make more sense to get the LCG chassis first. That way, you don't have to retune the GTRs again after you get the LCG chassis.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    I think it would make more sense to get the LCG chassis first. That way, you don't have to retune the GTRs again after you get the LCG chassis.
    ^^This because you don't want to buy springs for a different setup just to change them again.

RC Qualifier
    Tnx for the answers!

I recommend that you stay with the LCG chassis. You can make adjustments and tune it to however you want it. Just takes a little time and patience.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!