Problem with king-hobby (eBay seller)...anyone else ???

There's a seller on eBay that goes by king-hobby. I've looked them up (based on the listed city/state, but there doesn't appear to be any B&M business by that name. Anyway, I recently placed an order from him/them, for the stainless steel adjustable motor mount (works with the LCG Slash 4x4 & Rustler 4x4), which shows you to mount a motor, centered, above the center driveshaft. Why there's a separate listing for each vehicle, I don't know...especially considering both user the same Traxxas/HR/King Headz/etc motor mount.

Anyway, after placing the order, I messaged the seller, asking for photos showing the adjustable mount attached to the motor mount, but without a motor attached. I was asking this because, in the listing, it states that buyers will need to drill two holes through the motor mount...but, there is NO indication as to where these holes are speed to be, what diameter the drilled holes need to be, etc. The seller responded with, "once you install this mount it will tell you where to drill holes ...", which made no sense to me. I responded back, asking what was meant, and, again, asking for photos, to which I received this reply: "you need to drill holes to mount it".

As almost anyone should be able to tell, the two replies I received seem to contradict each other. I responded back once again, explaining that photos would greatly help in understanding. The response I received was even more confusing: "you need you mount this with the King Headz machined .. you will see it ... and drill hole to screws it"

Now, I should mention that this is not the first time I've ordered from this seller, and it's not the first time I've had problems with this seller...although, at the same time, I didn't realize it was the same seller I'd previously had problems work until after I placed the receive order. About 18 months ago, I ordered a solid center driveshaft for the Rustler 4x4...essentially, a shorter version of Tekno's center driveshaft for the Slash 4x4...and it was missing the O-rings. Contacting king-hobby, and getting them to ship the O-rings, took 3-4 messages being sent...all it should have taken was one.

Moving back to the present, the order arrived a few days ago, and tonight I went to install one of the kits...only to discover that one of the two mounting points that uses existing holes was out of alignment. Going back to why I originally messaged him/them, how am I supposed to drill two additional holes of one of the two "stock" holes isn't even aligned properly?

The purpose of this thread is to find out if anyone what has ordered non-Traxxas parts for their Traxxas vehicles from eBay seller king-hobby...and, if so, has anyone else has problems with this seller? It's obvious that the seller's spelling & grammar are somewhat poor. It's equally obvious that this seller doesn't appear to be very forthcoming with his/their own products, to the point that they not only don't include any instructions for his/their multi-piece products, but also assist to be incredibly reluctant (honestly, is say that outright refuse) to send photos that would help. This raises an "interesting" question as to the quality of this seller's products.

So, had anyone else ordered from king-hobby? If so...positive, or negative...please, share your experiences. If this is a one-off (or, two-off, since I've had problems with this seller both times I've ordered from him/them), let's hear some 'good' examples. On the other hand, if this seller has a track record of "bad business", share what you can, so that others will know to avoid this seller.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Racer
    I can't say that I have used them but I don't think it's a one-off or two-off..seems to be fairly regular with this vendor..they have an inflated feedback rating due to the number of transactions they deal with but the complaints are still there..

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Adding to what I originally said, I messaged the seller about the 'defective' motor mount kits last Thursday. I ended said message with, "I will give you until Monday to reply." NO reply came...so, I just got off the phone with eBay. Have to wait until Thursday to see if the seller responds.

If seller doesn't respond, will be calling eBay again on Friday, to file for a refund, and to have them launch internal inquiry against said seller. If had had more then a Verizon number of previous complaints, seller can be removed from eBay.

IMO, you should leave negative feedback at this point. Even if they ship you a new, perfect one, it's still unreasonable to have this many problems. If they cared at all, they should've said SOMETHING, even if it was to say "no refunds", which would still be bad (and not allowed by eBay), but not this bad.

Edit: I meant that you should do that in tandem with everything else you said, not by itself.
    𝘚𝘓4𝘚𝘏

Quote Originally Posted by EclipseMantis View Post
    IMO, you should leave negative feedback at this point. Even if they ship you a new, perfect one, it's still unreasonable to have this many problems. If they cared at all, they should've said SOMETHING, even if it was to say "no refunds", which would still be bad (and not allowed by eBay), but not this bad.

Edit: I meant that you should do that in tandem with everything else you said, not by itself.
    Already done...twice (once under each listed item).

Good! They deserved it!
    𝘚𝘓4𝘚𝘏

They are stating 2 holes because none of the holes line up it sounds like. It's in the description in Red. It mentions to drill the holes into the "Black Plastic" if that helps any. The pic is showing the motor mount installed with and without the motor in place.
    Before I buy ANYTHING that is non-branded, aftermarket I highly recommend reading the reviews and descriptions with extreme scrutiny. They described their part fairly well, but it seems to be designed for a few different Traxxas models and maybe they mount slightly different.
    Still, the lack of communication means to me this person has bought a few of them to sell, does not make them. Therefore they may not be able to provide the pictures you want. They should at least tell you something.
    Ebay shows 4 people who bought this mount gave good reviews....

I am extremely leery of buying anything that is custom off of Ebay... The seller has an OK reputation. Maybe they can explain a little bit better the mounting situation... It does say 2 holes into BLACK plastic, so take a very close look at the pics provided.

Stainless steel is not exactly a great material to be using on an R/C. It has a tendency to be softer than high quality aluminum. Good luck with it, Ebay isn't fast to resolve issues, honestly it sounds like both holes are to be new holes and drilled into black plastic so using an existing hole on your R/C sounds like it's not being mounted correctly.

Yeah it can be a pain but I hope you can get better communication from the seller, 4 other people bought that mount from him and gave positive reviews.

IF you have questions ask BEFORE you buy. Go over the description with a fine tooth comb... If they don't reply, well, don't buy. Good Luck
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

It is probably the same as either style of the center mounts by SAGA.

https://www.sagacustomrc.com/store/p...ssis_only.html
    or
    https://www.sagacustomrc.com/store/p...g_chassis.html

In it, they both say, "You will have to drill holes in your black plastic or aluminum mount to make this work."

Works good for the stock plastic, but depending on the thickness of your aftermarket motor mount where the holes go, they may not work that well. When trying one out, I found that the aluminum motor mount from STRC has the thickest areas to mount onto.

Good luck!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    They are stating 2 holes because none of the holes line up it sounds like. It's in the description in Red. It mentions to drill the holes into the "Black Plastic" if that helps any. The pic is showing the motor mount installed with and without the motor in place.
    Before I buy ANYTHING that is non-branded, aftermarket I highly recommend reading the reviews and descriptions with extreme scrutiny. They described their part fairly well, but it seems to be designed for a few different Traxxas models and maybe they mount slightly different.
    Still, the lack of communication means to me this person has bought a few of them to sell, does not make them. Therefore they may not be able to provide the pictures you want. They should at least tell you something.
    Ebay shows 4 people who bought this mount gave good reviews....

I am extremely leery of buying anything that is custom off of Ebay... The seller has an OK reputation. Maybe they can explain a little bit better the mounting situation... It does say 2 holes into BLACK plastic, so take a very close look at the pics provided.

Stainless steel is not exactly a great material to be using on an R/C. It has a tendency to be softer than high quality aluminum. Good luck with it, Ebay isn't fast to resolve issues, honestly it sounds like both holes are to be new holes and drilled into black plastic so using an existing hole on your R/C sounds like it's not being mounted correctly.

Yeah it can be a pain but I hope you can get better communication from the seller, 4 other people bought that mount from him and gave positive reviews.

IF you have questions ask BEFORE you buy. Go over the description with a fine tooth comb... If they don't reply, well, don't buy. Good Luck
    No. There are 4 holes "bolting" this to the motor mount...two that already exist (the two that holds the stock motor plate) on the right side, and the two you need to drill on the left side. According to the seller, you attach via the two existing holes, which positions the plate correctly, and then drill the other two holes...except that both stock holes do NOT line up properly. Initially, I thought it was the top hole (the one you tighten to hold the stock motor plate in position) that wasn't aligned properly, but it Advertising turns out to be the bottom hole that's misaligned.

As for the reviews, there might be 4 who have it a "good" review, but there area a LOT more who've had problems with king-hobby. As for dealing with eBay, they handled the problem very quickly, as they only give sellers 3 days to reply. If a seller fails to reply within 3 days, eBay automatically finds in favor of the buyer. As for asking before, I DID, as I very clearly explained.

I'm quite aware of the Ebay policy, I did look at the sellers reputation, most complaints are about poor communication.. The reviews of the motor mounts sold (total of 5) was the reviews I was speaking of. 4 of them were happy with their product. Squeegie posted a link that has some pics that may help....

I'm not trying to scrutinize you, just saying what I see, the fact you have to drill ANY holes on top of the fact there is no name brand and it's an aftermarket part you have to be very careful at what you buy and you probably know that. This guy is a re-seller, the pics he's providing I will put money on are not his pics...... This seller also has a store called MonsterKings on Ebay
    https://www.ebay.com/str/MonsterKing...p2047675.l2568 Definitely a reseller.....
    I hope the pics from the link Squeegie put can help with the install and save you the hassle of a return, at least it states the seller pays for the return shipping on the listing I see now.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    It is probably the same as either style of the center mounts by SAGA.

In it, they both say, "You will have to drill holes in your black plastic or aluminum mount to make this work."

Works good for the stock plastic, but depending on the thickness of your aftermarket motor mount where the holes go, they may not work that well. When trying one out, I found that the aluminum motor mount from STRC has the thickest areas to mount onto.

Good luck!
    It's not even close to those...it's a 2-piece design. These are 2 of the 5 photos showing on eBay.
    As you can see, it's a pretty beefy design. While SS is probably 'softer' then 7075, I'm guessing it's harder/stronger than 6061. Plus, as thick as the plates are (3mm), that adds strength.
    As for the R4sty, it's looking like it's completely unusable. Even if I can figure out a way to (lightly) modify it (ie. enlarging that lower hole upwards, turning it into an oval, so that the lower bolt piece will fit), there's another problem - using a 54T spur, even a 17T pinion won't work, as the smooth half of the pinion hits the top of the King Headz motor mount before the teeth are even starting to mesh. An 18T pinion might work...and, the gearing (based on the 2650kV motor, running 3S (occasionally 4S)) would still be good (albeit, at the upper end, as this vehicle isn't intended to be a 'rocket')...but, I don't currently have anything larger than 17T to try.

Regarding the other kit, which is intended for a Sl4sh-based speed run car, doing the mod I mentioned above, I'm 95% certain I can figure out a way to make it work. It'll just be a matter of "elongating" that lower hole, and then tapping screw holes into the other King Headz motor mount...which means I'll now have to go buy some screw taps (which I should have probably purchased a long time ago, as I've already had benefits uses for such).

Thanks for the pictures. Never seen that one before now.. Good luck!

I have purchased center mounts by Saga and EMP, but have never tried to install the EMP one. Don't know that I will go for a speed runner yet. I may just convert my street rig into a lowered off-road rally-ish rig to get more use out of it.....
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    It's not even close to those...it's a 2-piece design. These are 2 of the 5 photos showing on eBay.
    As you can see, it's a pretty beefy design. While SS is probably 'softer' then 7075, I'm guessing it's harder/stronger than 6061. Plus, as thick as the plates are (3mm), that adds strength.
    As for the R4sty, it's looking like it's completely unusable. Even if I can figure out a way to (lightly) modify it (ie. enlarging that lower hole upwards, turning it into an oval, so that the lower bolt piece will fit), there's another problem - using a 54T spur, even a 17T pinion won't work, as the smooth half of the pinion hits the top of the King Headz motor mount before the teeth are even starting to mesh. An 18T pinion might work...and, the gearing (based on the 2650kV motor, running 3S (occasionally 4S)) would still be good (albeit, at the upper end, as this vehicle isn't intended to be a 'rocket')...but, I don't currently have anything larger than 17T to try.

Regarding the other kit, which is intended for a Sl4sh-based speed run car, doing the mod I mentioned above, I'm 95% certain I can figure out a way to make it work. It'll just be a matter of "elongating" that lower hole, and then tapping screw holes into the other King Headz motor mount...which means I'll now have to go buy some screw taps (which I should have probably purchased a long time ago, as I've already had benefits uses for such).

Thatís a copy of the factory works mount. In the factory works listing they used to warn people that itís only for big pinion set ups for the reason you found out, anything less than 20t is sketchy at best.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 01-27-2021 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    ...As for asking before, I DID, as I very clearly explained.
    That's not what you said.

I'm trying to follow along because you first purchased the mount and after that then message the seller your questions after you already purchased it (in your first post, first sentence of your second paragraph).

And then you continue to mention you have had troubles with the same seller before. Getting upset at a seller for not giving a satisfactory answer to your questions should be before the purchase not after. That shows there was no research done before hand about the purchase.

As to the mount being wrong entirely? There has been a lot more than just yours being sold and no bad feedback about those mounts not working. I hope you get it figured out.

RC Qualifier
    Can you show in a photo how it is misaligned? This is a fairly simple set up and I am surprised if they can’t get it right copying the original version from FW.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    Can you show in a photo how it is misaligned? This is a fairly simple set up and I am surprised if they canít get it right copying the original version from FW.
    As I initially thought the alignment problem had to do with the upper of the two holes, this first photo shows how the alignment would have been off.
    However, after attaching the plate using only one screw at a time (first going with the lower screw, and then going with the upper screw), and coming to realize that the alignment problem is actually the lower of those two holes, here is a photo showing that.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    That's not what you said.

I'm trying to follow along because you first purchased the mount and after that then message the seller your questions after you already purchased it (in your first post, first sentence of your second paragraph).

And then you continue to mention you have had troubles with the same seller before. Getting upset at a seller for not giving a satisfactory answer to your questions should be before the purchase not after. That shows there was no research done before hand about the purchase.

As to the mount being wrong entirely? There has been a lot more than just yours being sold and no bad feedback about those mounts not working. I hope you get it figured out.
    1) Doing research was all but impossible, as the only information I could find online was the seller's own eBay prescription.
    2) As I have stated, I DID contact the seller before purchasing...and, multiple times, at that. After several messages back and forth, and getting what little information I was actually provided, I figured it was worth a shot. Sometimes, you have to "take that leap". I figured, as long as the two primary holes match up, I should easily be able to figure out the drilling locations, as well as the rest.
    3) As for having previous problems with that seller, that I did not discover until after I had already placed the order. Needless to say, I will not ever be ordering from that seller again, and I will continue to warn others about that particular seller. As I said, eBay IS already aware of numerous complaints against the seller, and has flagged the seller.
    4) Finally, as for "figuring it out", in a matter of speaking...and, as I have already mentioned...I've figured out that it will be unusable for my R4sty build, but I should be able to slightly modify it (as needed) to work in the Sl4sh speedrun vehicle (whenever I finally get around to starting it).

Last edited by Panther6834; 01-27-2021 at 06:43 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Yikes that is really sloppy. Sorry to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    Yikes that is really sloppy. Sorry to see that.
    Exactly. If the hole was off by a very minor amount...say, 0.5mm, or less...then "correcting" the problem would be fairly easy. However, as 'off' as it is, it's not exactly an "easy" fix. I've had some (so-called) "custom" parts before that weren't quite "right", but fixes for them have always been fairly easy. I'm definitely returning one (for full refund...and, if seller even tries to issue only a 'partial', back to contacting eBay, I'll go). However, for the other, it'll take some (ok, a LOT of) work with the Dremel, but I'll focus out a way to make it work for the speed run Sl4sh. For the R4sty, as I think I mentioned already, I'll just have to stick with the 54T spur.