RC Racer

Vxl 8s esc failure

My stock vxl 8s esc failed after 2 months what's a good aftermarket esc to run the stock motor I'm past the 30 day warranty period and not buying another vxl 8s to have the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Big androski View Post
    I'm past the 30 day warranty period and not buying another vxl 8s to have the same problem.
    Smart move!

Castle Creations makes one of the best ESC's money can buy:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Castle-Creations-010-0167-00-MAMBA-XLX2-8S-33-6V-ESC-20A-PEAK-BEC/363207595410?epid=23042473192&hash=item5490dc1592: g04AAOSwg1lf8nfo

I personally chose the Max5 because I've never owned a Hobbywing ESC before. For the price point and ease of use with the program box, it's a very good ESC with a 200amp rating; and yes I ran the stock motor on it:

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/prod...ant=4075974916

But a lot of guys go with the drop in Max6 because it fits without modification and is an 8S ESC as well at a 160amp rating and more suited to the stock motor:

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/prod...ant=4075925316

In the end, you'll have to ask yourself: "Am I always going to run the stock motor?"

I knew I wouldn't, so I got a 200amp rated ESC.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 01-21-2021 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Updated.
    Sent from my autonomous device.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    Smart move!

Castle Creations makes one of the best ESC's money can buy:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Castle-Creations-010-0167-00-MAMBA-XLX2-8S-33-6V-ESC-20A-PEAK-BEC/363207595410?epid=23042473192&hash=item5490dc1592: g04AAOSwg1lf8nfo

I personally chose the Max5 because I've never owned a Hobbywing ESC before. For the price point and ease of use with the program box, it's a very good ESC with a 200amp rating; and yes I ran the stock motor on it:

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/prod...ant=4075974916

But a lot of guys go with the drop in Max6 because it fits without modification and is an 8S ESC as well at a 160amp rating and more suited to the stock motor:

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/prod...ant=4075925316

In the end, you'll have to ask yourself: "Am I always going to run the stock motor?"

I knew I wouldn't, so I got a 200amp rated ESC.
    I was thinking the same thing about just getting the max 5 instead of max 6 incase I want to put a bigger motor in down the road.

In the same boat as OP, is running the max 5 with the stock motor a good move? Eventually Iíll obviously get a bigger motor but just want to know if the max 5 paired with the stock motor is efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still stock electronics. When I need to upgrade I'll go with the castle esc and motor. As I'd rather pay a few $ more for the best. Most do go max 5. Due to cost. I wouldn't go max 6 unless always staying with same motor or same kv. Just my .$.00000002

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Do you guys know how many amps is that new Castle XLX-2 rated for?
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    Unless is missed it it does not say max amps. Does say minimum 150 amp connectors needed.

https://www.castlecreations.com/en/m...ec-010-0167-00

I've heard people say that Castle under rates their ESC's and Hobbywing overrates them. They say Castle rates my XLX-X at 160 amps, but its more like 180 amps, and that Hobbywings Max5 is really less than 200 amps. I wonder if the new XLX-2 is the same way.

I've heard people say that Castle under rates their ESC's and Hobbywing overrates them. They say Castle rates my XLX-X at 160 amps, but its more like 180 amps, and that Hobbywings Max5 is really less than 200 amps. I wonder if the new XLX-2 is the same way.
    I really have zero info one way or the other. If they spec min 150amp connectors I'd say they push more than that....

I just know I enjoy my mamba x 1406 system in my rustler so far. I have yet to configure or push it. To many cars to many parts and not enough time on my fleet.

I have not used any hobby wing parts so have zero judgment on them

I have a Castle MM2 in my Emaxx and XO-1, a Castle XLX-X in my Xmaxx, and a Fuse 160 (rebranded Max6) in my Super Baja Ray. They all do a pretty good job, but my thinking is similar to yours. Castle is my first choice. For me, I think they're the best, and they have really good customer service. That's a biggie with me.

Paying a few $ extra for known good customer service is worth it. Just like smc batteries. Pay top $ of quality and for great CS.

Pays for itself when need it.

How do you know that your Castle XLX-X is 180 amps outside of their claim that it is 160 amps?

Is there a test you can perform that brought you to the 180 amp conclusion, or is that just a rough guess? If there is, please share the procedure, as I'm very interested in this.

No, I'm not trying to be difficult or call you out, I'm just trying to get an understanding on this like everyone else.

Also, I would like to point out that peak currents are way higher on ESC's, as Hobbywing states their max amp peak current (burst) for the Max5 is 1300 amps and 200 amps continuous.

If there is a home test that you can do that substantiates your claim/or guesstimate of 180 amps without a doubt, I would think a lot of people could then call out ESC manufacturers for false product information specs when the manufacturer claims a higher amp rating than what it actually is.

I'm not so sure anyone would want to prove their ESC is a higher amp rating than what the manufacturer claims; but I do know people that want to prove their ESC is not capable of the amps claimed by manufacturers of ESC's.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 01-22-2021 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Spelling.

I wanna say castle claims it pulls 500 amps+.
    Iím a hobbywing guy, Iíve used their stuff and enjoy it, just personal preference and less money for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know you're not calling me out, Flux. In my first sentence (in my post you quoted) I chose my words very carefully, and said "I've heard people say." I have never tested any of my ESC's out. Just for the sake of conversation, mind you, there is a way to test an ESC to measure its' current pull, but (IMO) it's not worth the setup cost or time.

What I did was, I talked to Castle about it (back when I first got my Xmaxx), and they pretty much told me what a lot of the guys "here" have said over the years (which is what I wrote in post 8. I wish Castle would plainly publish all their spec's for all their ESC's, but they don't. Also, again just for the sake of conversation, you can also use math to calculate this information, but (for me) I rather do other things that are a whole lot more funner for me to do.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 01-22-2021 at 01:04 PM.

Not sure if you know, but the castle ESC's have data-logging. You would be able to see amp, voltage, etc. that a setup is using.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Not sure if you know, but the castle ESC's have data-logging. You would be able to see amp, voltage, etc. that a setup is using.
    Hey grizzly; in this picture of the Castle Data Logging, which one is the one that indicates amp flow through the ESC?

It would have to be the Battery Current one I would think; correct?

EDIT: I forgot you could click on the question mark in Demo Mode too.

I was trying to remember if it was the Battery Voltage or Battery Current one and when I clicked the question mark, I got my answer.

It is the Battery Current one!
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 01-22-2021 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Found my Answer.

RC Competitor
    I use the max6 and stock 6s motors. Always run 8s. Very happy with the setup and been running this for over 3 years in one of my trucks with zero failures.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TC450 View Post
    I use the max6 and stock 6s motors. Always run 8s. Very happy with the setup and been running this for over 3 years in one of my trucks with zero failures.
    Right on I've decided the max 6 with my stock 8s motor

I know they do on their newer stuff, but wasn't 100% certain on their older stuff. So, I didn't want to comment on it. Thank you for the confirmation.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 01-23-2021 at 04:15 AM.

I know they do on their newer stuff, but wasn't 100% certain on their older stuff. So, I didn't want to comment on it. Thank you for the confirmation.
    Your right that not all their ESC's can. A quick way to see which ones is to use the Castle Link software in Demo mode like Flux did. If there is a logging tab that shows it does.

Another thing I like about Castle is being able to see what adjustments are available without actually being hooked up to the ESC. With Tekin the ESC needs to be hooked up. Not sure about HobbyWing.

Good to know, Grizz. Also, I got this free Castle thing a while back, and it lets you use your phone to make your adjustments. I haven't needed to hook it up yet, but I will someday. The first thing I need to figure out is which one of my trucks I'll use it on.

I think I might like using my phone rather than my laptop for making my adjustments due to the size difference. Usually though, once I make my initial installation adjustments, I really don't monkey around to much after with my ESC's programing.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 01-23-2021 at 03:26 PM.

RC poster
    Just thought I would share this incase anyone was wondering: the MMX8S with the stock motor on 20/50 with belted sixpack tires is an absolute animal. Obviously setting things like start off power and punch on high make an immediate difference, but the more intricate things like taking the time to build your own throttle curve (makes a huge difference), and dialing down your motor timing and throttle dead band, is when this truck really starts to come alive and behave more like an 1/8th scale but still take the abuse of a 1/6th scale... Pulls like crazy on pavement and wheelies almost anytime in the grass and dirt even with the heavier belted tires... i find myself enjoying it more and more without changing anything but settings, worth every penny in my opinion
    Last edited by Dmaxx83; 01-23-2021 at 08:23 PM.

RC poster
    Also wanted to mention, the 2085x servo with 7.4v is awesome too, just have to see how long it holds up

RC poster
    And for what its worth, I run my LHS house brand batteries, 6500mah 80c, id describe them as the same run times i was getting with Traxxas 6700's but with 1/2 again as much punch if that makes sense.. also 4oz a piece lighter than the Traxxas batteries which helped offset some of the overall weight addition from the tires... granted its not rotating mass, but ill take a 1/2lb weight loss any way i can!

Another thing I like about Castle is being able to see what adjustments are available without actually being hooked up to the ESC. With Tekin the ESC needs to be hooked up. Not sure about HobbyWing.
    Yes, Hobbywing has a nice "Demo" GUI without the ESC having to be hooked up because I just downloaded the latest version because my Hobbywing USB Link program warned me I was out of date:

Looks like Castle already has support up and running for the XLX2 - Hmmm......I might have to get myself one of those!

Here is a list of all the Hobbywing Supported ESC's with the latest update:

Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 01-24-2021 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Updated Pictures.

RC Racer
    Hobbywing max 6 on its way since the vxl 8s esc only lasted 2 months PATHETIC.
    Last edited by Big androski; 01-25-2021 at 01:22 AM.

RC Competitor
    interested in the XLX2.
    since it has a 20A bec, I wouldnt need a bec or 2s battery when using the promodeler 930 servo?

Quote Originally Posted by mag1 View Post
    interested in the XLX2.
    since it has a 20A bec, I wouldnt need a bec or 2s battery when using the promodeler 930 servo?
    John at Promodeler recommends his servos to run off of clean VDC or 2S battery as you stated. He claims that because of serious testing that was done and a majority of his servo customers are RC pilots.

John is just OCD about ProModeler servos running off of clean VDC and is not the only way the servos can work. It is just better for pilots to run off of clean VDC because their controls have to be way more precise than us just steering a truck around.

John also proved that BEC current from an ESC is "rippled" and causes latency issues that pilots can't afford when precision flying, so they use a 2S battery instead of a BEC from an ESC.

We as ground enthusiasts with Traxxas trucks don't need that super precise precision that RC pilots require when flying.

However, the DS930BLHV servo can run off of BEC current from an ESC up to these voltages as long as you have a receiver other than a Traxxas brand if going higher than 6 volts:

Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 01-25-2021 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Updated.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Big androski View Post
    Hobbywing max 6 on its way since the vxl 8s esc only lasted 2 months PATHETIC.
    I have a Max6 too, it works very well and is reliable, excellent price.

RC poster
    Good morning new to The forum I have had my x-max for about seven months now and I did an update yesterday after doing the update I went to drive it today and it shut off on the first run so I went up to it and it was completely turned off so I turned it back on did another run and it shut off again so I brought it home and went to turn it on and it won't stay on unless I hold the power button and I get critical error code now but when I let off the power button it completely shuts back offhas anybody had issues like this no problems whatsoever for seven months they do an update and then it fries the ESC

RC Racer
    Maybe debris in the power button

RC Champion
    flashing red lights of death ?
    Last edited by CrazyXMAXX; 02-08-2021 at 02:54 PM.
    fabricator