LIPO Puffed on the corner following crash

Greetings everyone. I was driving and I hit concrete with the front skid plate. I checked it battery came unplugged just one. Plugged it back in. Continued running. Car flipped steering looked sloppy. Gonna go fix then realized taking my lipos out this. Is this even safe? Precautions I could take?? currently charging outside But afraid to even take it out again Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks yall

VROOOMMMM

RC Racer
    I had a 4s battery get badly damaged and it looked a lot like yours do. I still run it all I did was completely wrap it in electrical tape. I don't know if it is safe but haven't had problems yet. I charge outside in a batt box and store in an ammo case stored in a metal toolbox in my garage, not my house. This may be unwise so maybe don't go off of what I did I wouldn't want you to have a lipo fire because you listened to this fool. You might just wanna buy some new ones or check if Traxxas will warranty depending on how long you have had them. Traxxas' customer service is ridiculously good so I would start by calling them. If you feel at all uncomfortable I would just safely dispose of them.
    His Glory Alone all the way to the grave.

Quote Originally Posted by bashing fo fun View Post
    I had a 4s battery get badly damaged and it looked a lot like yours do. I still run it all I did was completely wrap it in electrical tape. I don't know if it is safe but haven't had problems yet. I charge outside in a batt box and store in an ammo case stored in a metal toolbox in my garage, not my house. This may be unwise so maybe don't go off of what I did I wouldn't want you to have a lipo fire because you listened to this fool. You might just wanna buy some new ones or check if Traxxas will warranty depending on how long you have had them. Traxxas' customer service is ridiculously good so I would start by calling them. If you feel at all uncomfortable I would just safely dispose of them.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I bought them back in June last year. So I'm kinda sad that it only lasted this long, but not bad for being my first hobby grade rc. May call Traxxas. But at least your honest about being a fool. I think I'm a fool for even trying to run these batts, but hey life's no fun if you don't take no risks, even though I do take Lipos seriously. Also both of them got damaged from one crash which surprises me, but It is what it is, not gonna begin to stress about this.

VROOOMMMM

RC Racer
    I did the same thing. Smashed into a rock and the batteries were not the same shape coming out as they were going in. I threw mine out in an e-waste disposal drive. I think it's possible that they could have been fine. They never actually puffed, which indicates that the internal membranes probably weren't punctured. That being said, my confidence that they could survive a second crash was small. That's the reason I let mine go.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rico116 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I bought them back in June last year. So I'm kinda sad that it only lasted this long, but not bad for being my first hobby grade rc. May call Traxxas. But at least your honest about being a fool. I think I'm a fool for even trying to run these batts, but hey life's no fun if you don't take no risks, even though I do take Lipos seriously. Also both of them got damaged from one crash which surprises me, but It is what it is, not gonna begin to stress about this.

VROOOMMMM
    Hey, we all spend an ungodly amount of money on toys we're all fools. If I were you I would definitely call Traxxas, because they will sometimes help you out on something that is out of warranty. I'm not promising anything, but hey phone calls are free. I hope you get everything worked out and go out and blast and maybe break something a little cheaper.
    His Glory Alone all the way to the grave.

Quote Originally Posted by omen View Post
    I did the same thing. Smashed into a rock and the batteries were not the same shape coming out as they were going in. I threw mine out in an e-waste disposal drive. I think it's possible that they could have been fine. They never actually puffed, which indicates that the internal membranes probably weren't punctured. That being said, my confidence that they could survive a second crash was small. That's the reason I let mine go.
    Thanks for the input, I'm gonna keep them and just pray to God they never go up. LOL

VROOOMMMM

Quote Originally Posted by bashing fo fun View Post
    Hey, we all spend an ungodly amount of money on toys we're all fools. If I were you I would definitely call Traxxas, because they will sometimes help you out on something that is out of warranty. I'm not promising anything, but hey phone calls are free. I hope you get everything worked out and go out and blast and maybe break something a little cheaper.
    Well I called Traxxas, and I sounded like a total cheapskate LOL, and they said damaged batteries cannot be warrantied. Not a big deal. I did break something a little cheaper yesterday my skid plate assembly in that battery crash the forces must've been intense to break the battery.

VROOOMMMM

RC Racer
    Take a close look at the front bulkhead. I cracked mine when I crashed. Didn't notice until a few runs later when a dog bone popped out. Reshaped the metal plate up there too.

I agree with everyone else on the facts, although I'm (very overly) cautions when it comes to LiPos. At the very least, I'd recommend picking up a LiPo bag, even if you are charging outside. Those batteries have a lot of fire in 'em!
    Last edited by EclipseMantis; 01-23-2021 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Don't you love formating?
    𝘚𝘓4𝘚𝘏

RC Qualifier
    Take a close look at the front bulkhead. I cracked mine when I crashed. Didn't notice until a few runs later when a dog bone popped out. Reshaped the metal plate up there too.
    These things tend to happen sometimes with these monsters. Makes it fun. Hope you are back up and running soon.
    Ray00
    E–Revo │ E-Revo BE
    ITCHY THROTTLE FINGER!

RC poster
    To me that looks fine. By flying quads at high speeds into trees, the ground, and anything else I can hit I've produced quite a few blunted battery packs. Just monitor the cell values after discharge and check to make sure that all cells are balanced to ensure that cell hasn't weakened. As long as they don't swell and the cell isn't weakened there shouldn't be any cause for concern. All of mine that passed inspection continued to function fine through out their use until I they had about all the cycles they were likely to give.

Thanks for the tips I already have a lipo bag but I can't really charge out of it too easy still poses a danger. Didnt really think of that when getting into the hobby.
    I like this though keeps the others safe if one goes up.

I also monitor the voltages to make sure nothing too crazy with them.

VROOOMMMM

RC Racer
    I started getting paranoid with the amount of lithium I was accumulating, and opted for something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DXJBRBB...51KWKZ43XARGF6

I started getting paranoid with the amount of lithium I was accumulating, and opted for something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DXJBRBB...51KWKZ43XARGF6
    I get what your saying I was watching lipo bags fireproof tests and dang those bags sometimes don't offer no real protection. Almost better off with something like you listed.

VROOOMMMM