RC Enthusiast

LiPo Battery Care Tutorial?

Where I live, we are getting into the heart of winter, with daytime high temperatures in the teens (of degrees F) and wind chills down to single numbers, and, of course, snow on the ground.

Given this, I just gave my Traxxas batteries a storage charge, as I am unlikely to take the X-Maxx out for a few weeks.

30-ish years ago, I used NiCad batteries with the Tamiya kits I built up with my kids. Prior to now, that was my RC experience. I do not have a good understanding of the LiPo battery chemistry or handling, really. Is there any good tutorial information about the care and feeding of these new-fangled LiPo batteries, that explains balance charging, fast charging, "max" charging, and storage charging, and when each type of charging is useful, and what all goes on with these batteries?

Thanks, in advance, for all your tips and advice!

smp
    Stephen

Traxxas XMaxx 8S (orange)

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by spereira View Post
    Where I live, we are getting into the heart of winter, with daytime high temperatures in the teens (of degrees F) and wind chills down to single numbers, and, of course, snow on the ground.

Given this, I just gave my Traxxas batteries a storage charge, as I am unlikely to take the X-Maxx out for a few weeks.

30-ish years ago, I used NiCad batteries with the Tamiya kits I built up with my kids. Prior to now, that was my RC experience. I do not have a good understanding of the LiPo battery chemistry or handling, really. Is there any good tutorial information about the care and feeding of these new-fangled LiPo batteries, that explains balance charging, fast charging, "max" charging, and storage charging, and when each type of charging is useful, and what all goes on with these batteries?

Thanks, in advance, for all your tips and advice!

smp
    Right on top of this page under batteries then learn more.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Right on top of this page under batteries then learn more.
    Well, doh! I guess my hunting skills are really not up to par! Thanks *very* much for your patience with me, and the pointer!

smp
    Stephen

Traxxas XMaxx 8S (orange)

RC Qualifier
    Other than always balance charge on a fireproof surface and setting cutoff as high as possible I donít do anything special.

They seem to last 3-4 years if I donít replace them for other reasons such as higher capacity.

I run most of the year and like to run on short notice so I have never stored my batteries.

Obviously if you expect more than a couple of weeks it is best to store them. Convenience is more important to me now than getting another 6 months out of my battery.

YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Always balance charge? I've just been using the charge function, until the other day when I did a balance charge. All cells seemed to be equal anyway.

Do people charge to 100%, or just up to 80% or so?

Think I need to up my LVC, as my battery hit around 8 - 10% capacity earlier. (Checker said 8%, charger said 10%). I'd have liked to have stopped closer to 20% I think.

(I have a Tesla and tend to keep that between 20 - 80% as much as possible - so assume Lipos need similar care...?)

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

@RJUK I wouldn't worry about the battery capacity. Worry about what the voltages of the battery cells are. I stop running my vehicles when the batteries are at 3.5v per cell. That's when my LVC turns on.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    @RJUK I wouldn't worry about the battery capacity. Worry about what the voltages of the battery cells are. I stop running my vehicles when the batteries are at 3.5v per cell. That's when my LVC turns on.
    So are LiPo batteries different in chemistry to Lithium Ion batteries? You're not supposed to let those discharge too low, but also it's best not to fully charge them either. That goes for the battery in your phone, laptop, electric car... Etc.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Totally agree with this.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RJUK View Post
    So are LiPo batteries different in chemistry to Lithium Ion batteries? You're not supposed to let those discharge too low, but also it's best not to fully charge them either. That goes for the battery in your phone, laptop, electric car... Etc.

Never leave the batteries with lithium under 3.0 volts. The chemistry is a little different, I leave you an interesting article.

https://blog.ravpower.com/2017/06/li...mer-batteries/

RC Racer
    You've sort of answered your own question. Lithium Polymer and Lithium Ion. Different chemistry, different rules.
    Run your truck until LVC kicks in, if you want to be really safe, turn it off then. You're probably good to drive it to the car if not too far away.
    Always balance charge unless you're really in a hurry.
    Always storage charge if leaving for more than a day or two.
    There's really no art form to looking after them. Just treat them with care as far as fire prevention goes. Ammo box for the win.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca 3 View Post
    You've sort of answered your own question. Lithium Polymer and Lithium Ion. Different chemistry, different rules.
    Run your truck until LVC kicks in, if you want to be really safe, turn it off then. You're probably good to drive it to the car if not too far away.
    Always balance charge unless you're really in a hurry.
    Always storage charge if leaving for more than a day or two.
    There's really no art form to looking after them. Just treat them with care as far as fire prevention goes. Ammo box for the win.
    I covered my work surfaces with clearance ceramic tile from Menards, a discount home improvement store. Just glue them down butt up against each other.

Make sure the batteries are not anywhere near anything that you value. I have a smoke detector in the room also.

Itís just too cold to leave things in the garage this time of year. I live near Chicago.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    Never leave the batteries with lithium under 3.0 volts. The chemistry is a little different, I leave you an interesting article.

https://blog.ravpower.com/2017/06/li...mer-batteries/
    Thanks mate!

Quote Originally Posted by Dmarzke View Post

It’s just too cold to leave things in the garage this time of year. I live near Chicago.

I leave all my batteries - lipo, life & nimh - stored in an ammo box in an unheated garage here around the 45į parallel. Never an issue in years...granted I don't drive RC's in the winter either. I do plan on bringing them inside and checking the charges.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Iíve had a couple of my power tool batteries go bad sitting in a charger in my garage before I realized what was happening.

When it gets too cold they wouldnít charge, but it was still drawing a trickle of power to run the sensor system.

Eventually the batteries got over discharched and died.

Not sure how RC batteries work but I assume there must be a point when they wonít charge below a certain temp also.

We regularly get below 0 f for weeks at a time. Thatís what got me on those other batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmarzke View Post
    I’ve had a couple of my power tool batteries go bad sitting in a charger in my garage before I realized what was happening.

When it gets too cold they wouldn’t charge, but it was still drawing a trickle of power to run the sensor system.

Eventually the batteries got over discharched and died.

Not sure how RC batteries work but I assume there must be a point when they won’t charge below a certain temp also.

We regularly get below 0 f for weeks at a time. That’s what got me on those other batteries.

Even my three power tool batteries and my Dremel battery are years old, but again, I do not use cold batteries. I warm them up before use or charging; this is the key.

Trust me, we get below 0į just as much as you if not more. Except for this year where it has been very mild. I see you are at 25į right now...me? 8į.

To the OP: it'll take me a bit to search but if you have some time, search for the member: Jakey. He was the owner of the late SPC Batteries and occasionally came on to give advise.
    Last edited by Double G; 01-27-2021 at 08:58 AM.
    The Super Derecho