RC poster

Has anyone tried hot racing steel cv shafts in 1/16 revo??

Hi there. I have a 1/16 vxl brushless and bought hot racing steel cv shaft set for it. Im having a problem installing the output drive cups in the differential. Has anyone else put these shafts in one?? If so, how did you get the drive cups installed with the differential in the bulkhead? I dont understand how its supposed to go together. Any help is appreciated thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JD fly View Post
    Hi there. I have a 1/16 vxl brushless and bought hot racing steel cv shaft set for it. Im having a problem installing the output drive cups in the differential. Has anyone else put these shafts in one?? If so, how did you get the drive cups installed with the differential in the bulkhead? I dont understand how its supposed to go together. Any help is appreciated thanks
    Look at pictures for the diff explosion.

https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...Assembly_0.jpg

How the diffs are made replace 7082/ 7078 gear shaft with the hr diff cup. So will need to disassemble the diff.

Good time to service it and fill with wanted oil. I've been liking 150k in mine.

Check and clean or replace bearings while in there.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Correct. The diff is disassembled, however, my problem lies in the diameter of the diff cups themselves. They will not pass through the main bearings of the bulkheads because they are too big. They are the smae size as the bulkhead without the bearing there. I dont know how to physically put the diff back together in the bulkhead with these drive cups. Perhaps a pic would help explain?

Pic would be helpful. Sure you got the ones for the 1/16 merv vs a 1/10 revo?

Or perhaps it was manufacturing wrong or wrong part sent?

I see Hr website has zero instructions so not helpful there....

https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=SVXS288XD02;c=455

My only thought is perhaps there is a different diff for the brushed merv and vxl model?
    I have no idea here...

If output cups can fit into the diff and the gears and stuff work. Perhaps find a new diff bearing? But my thoughts is if didn't fit bearing won't fit anything else in diff.

Last edited by Acidic01; 01-25-2021 at 02:19 AM.

RC poster
    eOk, sorry honestly cant figure out how to add a pic. Perhaps it is a manufacturing fault or wrong part. I am pretty sure they are for 1/16, they look like the correct length compared to the rear end (I have the front end tore apart first haha) and they are listed for 1/16 erevo vxl right on the package too. BTW I also do have a 3.3 nitro revo as a basket case. I can see how much bigger the 1/10's are lol

Tapatalk app phone app Or posting pic to imagr or something and putting link in post. For getting pics posted.

Is your car brushed or vlx stock?

Have a micrometer to measure the shaft of the stock and hr shaft.?

If just a bit biger may be a way to make it work by sanding shaft down with sand paper and a drill

Otherwise reach out to hot racing directly for help.

RC poster
    Mine stock is the vxl brushless edition. Unfortunately I don't have a micrometer for fine measurements, but hr's drive cups are the same diameter as the bulkhead without the bearing there. Im going to get ahold of them today to see what they say about it. I just wanted to see if anyone else had done these shafts in one before. Thank you for the help so far. Just also want to say that the revo is the coolest, most complex truck ive ever worked on haha

I'm just guessing perhaps the hr cv shafts need the hr diff housing as well to make it work?

Or just got the wrong cups...

Hopefully someone else will chime in that has experience with that part. I have not used any of the hr parts in my merv.

It's a fun little car on 3s.

You can try using the instructions for the Traxxas ones.

Instructions:https://traxxas.com/7051X-7151X/Driveshaft_Inst_EN_WEB.pdf

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    I'm just guessing perhaps the hr cv shafts need the hr diff housing as well to make it work?

Or just got the wrong cups...
    I am thinking the exact same thing. Thank you for all the support guys it really does help. Im thinking I do need their bulkhead as well, or wrong size drive cups. Like I said, their outer diameter is the same size as the bulkhead without the bearing in place. Pretty much makes it impossible to get the diff back together in the bulkhead without being able to slide the drive cups through the bearing there. I hope I can figure it out, as I also have Integy's aluminum A-arms and axle carriers as well.

And also yes! Mine is pretty awesome with a 2s I just got not too long ago for it. Thats kinda why I was going to start to beef up the driveline and suspension stuff on it. I am also talking to Hot Racing about it, lets see what they come up with? Thanks guys

RC poster
    I am having the same issue. The cup fits through the bulkhead just not the bearing.

RC poster
    Hey, I have the solution. You need to but the screws in the diff cap, then put the bearing on the cap then pass the cup pin through the bearing, through the cap, then pin the gear and repeat for the other side, then slide the pieces together alternating tightening down the screws. Its a pain in the butt. I did it with lockers for my rear end and afterwards realized that I had to remove the outer O rings for it to seat correctly. Hope this helps
    Last edited by cooleocool; 02-24-2021 at 03:31 AM. Reason: language abuse