Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Project Beach Basher

Hi folks, I have been posting in the Slash 4x4 section until now - Iíve had an Ultimate for a couple of years which has been a lot of fun and evolved somewhat.

Time for a new project to sit alongside it!

As the title suggests, Iím looking to build a durable, reliable and fast rig for use solely on sand (we live on the beach here in the UK).

I decided a 2WD Slash is a good basis because thereís a lot less moving parts to get sandy than with the 4x4, parts are easy to get hold of and I have a few spares that can transfer across.

Iíd welcome your thoughts on Ďmust-havesí for sand running.

So far the parts list is:

Slash VXL (Orange X edition)

2.8 Proline Sand Paws on Raid wheels (rear)

2.8 Proline Badlands on Raid wheels (front)

Proline extended body mounts

Smaller pinion (18t) to keep the temps down - I want to run 3S but avoid running cooling fans as itís more moving parts for sand to destroy)

Dynamite Stainless bolt/screw kit

Dusty Motors chassis and shock covers

Dusty Motors hydrophobic spray coating

RPM gear cover (less chance of sand getting in)

Shoe goo / drywall tape the shell

Anything else Iím missing?

Oh and I have a spare OBA kit which I may have to throw on, just for fun!

I hope to document my progress on here in case it helps others. Pics to follow once the parcels start arriving...

Cheers,
    Steve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    Then you must consider getting the proline megalodon body for it

RC Qualifier
    Thatís a very good suggestion! In the meantime I do have a spare Baja Bug shell or three (actually I think itís 4 ) from my 4x4...

RC Competitor
    I seen a guy running a 2wd slash with paddles on our beach and literally had no steering and wanted to back flip with moderate throttle. I would think you need to add some weight to the front?

RC Qualifier
    Ah thanks Finz, I was wondering if paddles may be a bit much. I already have 4x 2.8 Badlands so could run them all round if needed. Sounds like some experimenting with weight and/or slipper clutch would be the first step. Thank you!

Sounds like fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

You will get good steering from a pair of ribbed front tires. Something like these.

https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-Ribbe.../dp/B000HKJ1TY

As long as you can keep the front wheel down.
    Last edited by zedorda; 01-25-2021 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    You will get good steering from a pair of ribbed front tires. Something like these.

https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-Ribbe.../dp/B000HKJ1TY

As long as you can keep the front wheel down.
    Exactly what I was gonna suggest!
    𝘚𝘓4𝘚𝘏

RC Qualifier
    Thanks guys, good suggestion. Do you know if the Traxxas tyres fit on Proline (Raid) wheels? Or do they need to be paired with Traxxas rims?

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Squeegie, thatís definitely got me thinking... Just a shame Proline donít do a 2.8 rib, but I guess thatís a bit niche.

RC Qualifier
    Having pondered some more, I have 2 specific questions if anyone can help:

1. Do Traxxas tyres fit on Proline (Raid) rims, or are the bead profiles different?

2. Wheelie bar - help or hindrance on sand? Would a skid plate on the underside of the rear bumper be better (carbon or ali)?

Cheers!

RC Qualifier
    Ok, so after lots of Googling it appears that Traxxas tyres need to be paired with Traxxas wheels. A shame. Having a wheel mis-match front to rear will distrss me too much!

Think Iíll stick with my 2.8 Badlands on Raid rims all round to start with as my sand paws wonít arrive until March apparently... Also, much of the sand here is hard packed so they may be a good choice after all. Weíll see!

Big box of bits arriving tomorrow, so let the fun begin!

RC Qualifier

Project Beach Basher

Itís here!

Lasted all of 5 minutes in standard form!

Hereís the out-of-the box pics for posterity:

Then the 2.8s and extended body mounts went on:

No going back now... snip snip!

Lots more jobs to follow before it turns a wheel...

Traxxas tires will glue up to RAID rims but you will be able to see the outer rim seat in the tire. I have seen it done without issue but I can't say I would be happy with it on my rigs. So it might work but imo it is unsightly.

The link was really just an example there are much better ribbed tire options out there for the RAID rims.
    Last edited by zedorda; 01-27-2021 at 01:45 PM.

RC Qualifier

Project Beach Basher

Thanks Zedorda, thatís really useful to know. Still on the hunt for a 2.8 rib to be honest, I havenít found one in that size yet, other than those Traxxas ones... Cheers for the info.

Nice... let the fun and modding commence!

Are you going to get ProLine's Raid SC wheels and put their 6x30 17mm hex adapters in them to run the ribbed front tires? I would assume that would fit since they are both 6x30. Also since your new Slash is 2WD, you can run staggered front/rear tires.

Good luck!

Sorry I guess times have changed and ribbed tires are now rare at the 2.8 size. I swore Arrma used ribbed tires on a few models but all seem discontinued as far as I am finding.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Squeegie.

I was hoping to find a 2.8 ribbed tyre to keep the ground clearance in soft sand, but if not yes Iíll look into the 2.2/3.0 option.

First step is to see how the Badlands perform on the front. Once the sand paws are on the back it may well just understeer everywhere!

All good fun trying out these little experiments!

RC Qualifier
    Iíll keep looking zedorda, not given up just yet! Thanks for your advice re the Traxxas ones.

RC Qualifier
    A few more bits done now - arches trimmed, OBA installed and stainless bolt kit fitted (I now have blisters!!):

Thanks for sharing your adventure with the sand build! Looking a the latest pics of the front belly, you might look/conider an RPM front and rear skid plate....and PERHAPS modify it or make a flange of some sort that will offer more protection for the servo. Check out the RPM skid plates, however, and at least convince your self that it is NOT necessary with the build. Just a thought and thanks again for sharing the adventure.
    MTFBWY

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Synnergy, thatís a really good suggestion. I know what you mean, the servo looks pretty vulnerable on these (especially compared to my LCG 4x4). I hadnít spotted the RPM skid plates but they do look like a good option with some modification...

The build is coming along now - Dusty Motors chassis and shock covers installed along with a smaller pinion to keep temps down and an RPM gear cover. Can see how itís easy to miss the gaping hole in the stock one! I assembled it with a thin layer of grease to catch any grains of sand trying to get inside.

There was also a big hole at the front of the chassis cover, so Iíve filled that with a spare foam block.

The whole car has now been coated in Dusty Motors hydroscopic coating too.

Next up is body reinforcement with drywall tape and shoe goo. Messy job!

RC Qualifier
    Just a few little details (i.e. finding excuses not to start the messy shoe goo job on the body!)...

Smoked tint film on the headlights, just to be a bit different:

Replaced the pins on the Proline body mounts with stainless ones (for info theyíre M4, 12mm long):

More stainless fixings for the OBA:

Anodized wheel nuts (other fixings already replaced with stainless):

Hoping to get the body sorted this evening and maybe a shakedown run on the beach tomorrow, fingers crossed! Just frustrated that I still have 6 weeks to wait for the sand paws, but thatís not going to stop me!

Another quality build by Steeeve!

RC Racer
    Steeve and Squeegie need awards for best slash builds.
    His Glory Alone all the way to the grave.

RC Qualifier
    Haha, cheers guys! I feel another Martini Racing paint job coming on for this one... plenty of paint left over!

Reckon this would look any good on a Slash shell? Iím keen to keep the OBA on this build, just for giggles...

RC Qualifier

Project Beach Basher

Well I must say that was a LOT of fun!!

Plenty more potential with this build I think. Was a fairly gentle start, 18t pinion and only the 2.8 badlands at the moment, so not a lot of traction on wet sand, but it was still a real giggle.

As per usual I only got 30 seconds before the boy pleaded for the controller!

The Dusty Motors cover really seems to have worked well, Iíll be interested to know where else the sand has managed to get!

Anyway, hereís a few pics of my 4yr old lad bedding it in gently..

Last edited by Steeeve; 01-31-2021 at 12:47 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Hmm, so the RPM gear cover didnít do the job as well as I was hoping for! A little post-run inspection revealed this:

Any idea where this is most likely to be entering?

Any suggestions as to how best to fix it?

I was trying to avoid using silicone sealant but maybe thatís the answer...

RC Racer
    That was my first instinct... to say to run a small bead of silicone around the cover. Another option might be some microfoam tape. You could try to adhere that to the transmission side and place the gear cover over that. Would give the plastic something soft to "squish" down against. I've got this rubber sealing tape used in construction called Zip Tape. It's about 1/8th inch thick, super sticky. It's supposed to be used for sealing seams on weatherproof house sheathing (like plywood), but I use it for all sorts of things. It's really flexible and stretchy and the adhesive makes it nearly impossible to peel off just about any surface, even glass. Given that is has the similar properties as silicone, it would be perfect to make a gasket for that cover with (but one side would NOT be stuck, making removal so much easier than pulling silicone apart).

RC Qualifier
    Hi devestator, thanks for the suggestion. I just had a very similar thought! Yes I think thin foam tape could work, mounted to the gearbox housing. I even have some already!

Certainly worth a try before silicone. Just surprised that the seal was that bad, especially as I ran a bead of grease around the lip.

Iíll give it a go...

RC Qualifier
    More beach bashing this evening... really love this thing! Great at destroying sand castles in style!

Seem to have found a good balance on the slipper clutch now, loads of wheelies on demand.

Fingers crossed the gear cover has sealed better this time!

RC Racer
    If you want it to look like a beach cruiser, what about the JConcepts Truth V2 UTV Body?
    https://www.jconcepts.net/shop/t2-tr...slash-4x4-body

RC Qualifier
    I really love that body! Would look awesome with 2.8 sand paws!

For the time being weíre enjoying scaring people and dogs with the loud V8 sound of the OBA, but at some point it will die of sand ingress probably! Then that will be high up my shopping list. Just a shame nobody makes other bodies which are compatible with OBA....

RC Qualifier
    Definitely a big improvement, but still too much sand getting in for my liking...

Reckon itís coming in around the driveshaft area. I will take the whole rear end off at some point to find a solution, but in the meantime will just accept that it needs opening up and cleaning after every run.

Not a big deal for the fun it provides!

Canít wait for the 2.8 sand paws to turn up, despite the Badlands performing surprisingly well...

Are you still running the nimh battery. How did you make it do wheelies?
    When You Feel Down Send It To The MOON!!

RC Qualifier
    No, this one is on a 3S Li-Po and brushless motor. I tightened the slipper clutch about a quarter of a turn (fitting the bigger tyres made it slip more) and it easily pops a wheelie on sand now, great fun!

RC Qualifier

Project Beach Basher

Just to add, the bigger tyres help (as it raises the centre of gravity), as does the smaller 18t pinion...

Last edited by Steeeve; 02-08-2021 at 01:11 PM.

Dang.... That thing looks like a monster glad im not a 1/10 scale human and that was my daily lol
    When You Feel Down Send It To The MOON!!

RC Qualifier
    Haha itís certainly a bit of fun!

Canít wait for some proper sand tyres to arrive - it may be a bit too easy to wheelie and need calming down a bit!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast