RC Competitor

GPS/ Expander Issue

Hi,

I have the GPS/ expander v1 model. It's been a while since I used the car, but having taken it out again over the past month, I notice that the GPS reading seems a bit intermittent.

It seems that it sometimes shows a speed but it looks like there is sometimes a delayed reaction, at other times it just stops reading altogether. Seems to be worse the further the truck is from the controller, after a few meters I generally get no speed reading at all.

I've tried restarting the controller, app and receiver all in different combinations. Before each run I wait for the GPS lock to go dark green on the app for a full lock. All firmware is showing as up to date.

The only thing I haven't yet tried is relocating the GPS receiver. It's probably a couple of cm from the motor and quite near the battery cables, so wondered if it could be interference? The difficulty is finding somewhere else in the chassis to put it!

Anyone else had similar issues?

RC Competitor
    Just something else to add in this- should the truck be sending back telemetry all the time it is within range of the transmitter (ie; all the time it's within range and you are able to control it), or is it normal that the range of the telemetry data being sent back is shorter?

The only other thing I can think of is that a couple of years back the tip of the antenna on the receiver was damaged. Although I was able to carry out a solder repair job, following all the advice around cable and length of the exposed part, I wonder if this could affect the issue?

I've moved the GPS receiver now so will try a test run anyway first.

RC Champion
    The telemetry expander plugs into the rx so this is just a guess but I think the antenne might be causing the issue. I would try another rx and see if that fixes the problem.
    Also if you have the BT Module it might need an update, check with your lhs or a friend if you don't have one.

RC Competitor
    Thanks, I do have another Rx in another vehicle so will see if I can test it on that and see what the result is, would certainly be cheaper if it's the Rx rather than the GPS!

The Bluetooth module was updated by my LHS a couple of years back due to constant connection issues which I was advised at the time were due to an issue following an android update.
    Do you know if there has been a more recent update since then for the BT?

RC Champion
    I highly doubt it's the gps I think it's either the rx antenna you mentioned or a lack of updates.
    My latest update was Aug.27.2020 application version 8.1.1.11509.
    The telemetry expander version (not the 2.0) is 1.0.46
    I think you should get it updated again it sounds like it's been a while and might help the issue, also make sure the rx you swap out is the tsm model.

RC Competitor
    I've just checked my other RX, it's not the TSM model but it it's the traxxas link compatible model so I will give it a try.

With regards to versions, the app on the phone is up to date which is 8.2.0.11575. When I run the traxxas link app there are no firmware updates for the tx and Rx so as far as I can tell everything is up to date. The thing is when you look under 'about' in the app it shows latest firmwares for all the updateable pieces of traxxas hardware, but I can't see where it actually confirms version numbers for my own hardware other than the app itself.

As I say the BT module is the only thing I had to send off for an update as it apparently was not possible via the app. Are you suggesting it's the manual update of the BT module? I would have thought that it is surely capable of updating itself through the app since every other piece of hardware is?

RC Champion
    Sorry I meant get the latest update on your phone, which you have and I didn't lol (I do now).
    Everything updates through the BT Module in the app and there is no manual fix. I wasn't aware you had the module but you could try and delete the app and then reinstall it and see if it fixes the gps.
    It's a pain if you have more then one rig and have to redo the dashboard for all of them. I usually leave this as a last resort.
    Whatever version# is showing on your app that is what you have.

RC Competitor
    Well I was willing to try reinstalling, which I did, as well as installing and testing on an iPad (with the theory being that all Apple devices should behave more predictablably) buy no luck.

The BT module was a completely different issue which traxxas blamed on Android, as I say, they told me that the only fix was to send off to be flashed, which did fix the issue at the time.

Well, next thing will be to try the Rx and maybe after that the Tx from my other truck. I'll update on hear how I get on, but open to any other suggestions. I've emailed support too. I did find one other similar post on the forum but the last post was a suggestion to contact support and there were no other updates after that.

RC Competitor
    As an update, I found that I had crushed the telemetry expander cable in the receiver box, so have soldered the damaged wires. It's definitely working better now than it was, the issue of the GPS dropping out then returning seems to have gone. I'm assuming than under full throttle the expander may have been starved of power causing dropout.

The one thing in still finding is that sometimes readings don't kick in, or at a distance it's not reading, and generally there is a lag between actual soeed and the reading.

I've sort of forgotten what to expect so I would be keen to know from others if having a bit of a lag is normal. FYI I'm in the UK where weather has been cold l, wet and cloudy whilst testing in cas that affects things.

The one other interesting thing I have found is that the GPS module is actually a ln off the shelf module in a traxxas box. Although you can't buy it any more, there are still some variants floating around quite cheap soninkight try swapping it out.