RC poster

VXL ESC working right?

I just got a brand new 4x4 Rustler and I thought that the ESC is acting up. When I turn the car on without the radio on first the ESC flashes green rapidly. Is this normal, once the controller is turned on it goes to solid green. So is it normal for it to flash green rapidly until the remote has been turned on and binded to the system? Again this is a VXL 3s system, any feedback would help thanks!

RC Competitor
    I think its normal, however you should always turn the controller on first.

RC Qualifier
    Yes thats normal. Not a great idea to turn on the esc before the radio. Years ago, before fail-safes where a thing, having no radio signal would send your truck flying full throttle uncontrollably. So turn on your radio first, and shut it off last just to be safe.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Lol, thanks a bunch, I normally do turn the controller on first but I just noticed it one day while I was messing around. I used to have the same version of the VXL in a 2wd rustler and it never did that, so I just got a little worried. Thanks again ��

Quote Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
    Yes thats normal. Not a great idea to turn on the esc before the radio. Years ago, before fail-safes where a thing, having no radio signal would send your truck flying full throttle uncontrollably. So turn on your radio first, and shut it off last just to be safe.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Just don't forget to turn it off! I do a lot lol and I've had to replace lots of batteries!

Rustler 4x4 VXL
    Rustler 4x4
    If it ain't broke, you're not trying!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by GTSDart340 View Post
    Just don't forget to turn it off! I do a lot lol and I've had to replace lots of batteries!

Rustler 4x4 VXL
    Your not the only one. I’ve done this a few times myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Finz View Post
    Your not the only one. Iíve done this a few times myself.
    And if you're using lipo batteries, when your done using the battery, put it on storage charge until you wanna use it again. You'll avoid a premature failure or worse, a fire. One that water doesn't put out.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615 View Post
    And if you're using lipo batteries, when your done using the battery, put it on storage charge until you wanna use it again. You'll avoid a premature failure or worse, a fire. One that water doesn't put out.

Pretty sure he talking about the tx AA batteries. I hate forget ing about my tx. Unplug car. Remove battery. Go ohh I need to clean the mud off and next session crap forgot the tx. And batteries dead.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    Pretty sure he talking about the tx AA batteries. I hate forget ing about my tx. Unplug car. Remove battery. Go ohh I need to clean the mud off and next session crap forgot the tx. And batteries dead.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Oh whoops. Im sorry about that.

I have also done this once or twice for sure. But the batteries seem to last quite a while in my controllers. I use the duracell optimum batteries that come in a cool tray.