RC poster

T-Maxx Quesstions?

Hi there.

So I picked up a T-maxx for 75 bucks. It also came with what they thought was a "parts box". Turns out that is a whole nitro revo in a box (Sweet I love revo's haha). I dont know much about the T-maxx tho. I do know its got a 2.5 on it, no rx, aftermarket dual exhaust out the back, and no body. To my knowledge, I believe its a short chassis (could be wrong about that tho). It's basically just more than a roller. I did get the motor to run, now I just need to figure out how to control it.

Is the shift servo onboard shift from FWD/RV or like 1st to 2nd? What TX @ RX could work for it? What is the difference in the 2.5 and 2.5R? Is mine considered an early T-maxx? Also, What is Optidrive for the trans?
    Last edited by JD fly; 01-27-2021 at 10:56 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    The shift servo is for forward and reverse. 1 to 2 is automatic controlled by rpm as you get up to speed.

You would need a 3 channel tc/rx. You have to control gas and brake / steering/ and forward-reverse.

The earliest T-Maxx are the Pro .15 engined ones.

Optidrive was a safety system to prevent you from shifting forward to reverse while moving. Doing so would destroy the trans.

The only difference in the R is the machined cooling head, all parts are interchangeable.
    Last edited by jpelt78; 01-27-2021 at 11:13 AM.

RC poster
    Thank you for all the help. I do actually have a 3 channel tc/rx laying around that could work for it. Ok, Mine must be the 2nd gen then. Thats good to know about Optidrive too. Well, I'll see what I can do to get it right again.

Quote Originally Posted by JD fly View Post
    Thank you for all the help. I do actually have a 3 channel tc/rx laying around that could work for it. Ok, Mine must be the 2nd gen then. Thats good to know about Optidrive too. Well, I'll see what I can do to get it right again.
    That would be an assumption. If there is a 2.5 AND Optidrive it may not be the 1st or 2nd gen TMAXX. Are there many grey colored parts?
    Transmission
    Chassis braces
    Bulkheads
    Shock towers

What color are they? The TMAXX has been around a lot, you may have a Pro .15 upgraded with 2.5 engine and other things, if you have a picture you could show it would be very helpful.

Ican tell you one thing, there was never a decent dual exhaust setup that didn't cause lean issues at higher rpms, they always had issues with not providing enough backpressure through the pressure line to get enough fuel to the carb at higher rpms and usually wore out the engines before their time along with tuning headache's.... Dump that exhaust, unless you know it was made by THS and even those were iffy.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall