RC Enthusiast

Setting up 4x4 slash ultimate for pavement

Brand new ultimate, I want to set it up for pavement running. Should I swap the rear bearing carriers around to give it less toe in or leave it at the stock 4 degrees? I preloaded the shocks and moved the bottom mount point farther out, but should I move the top mount in or out? Are the stock bodies bad about catching air running speed runs, if so What's the best way to vent them so they don't parachute?

RC Racer
    I ditched the body for speed runs and got a roll cage. It does add a bit of weight but has saved me from what should have been catastrophic crashes going upwards of 70 mph.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Slash 4x4 MM2 2400kv

I have been running my Ultimate Slash 4x4 trucks on road for years! A wheelie bar is worth the investment. Often times I run it without a body.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Enthusiast
    Finally ran it, max 8 2600kv, 20/54 gears, Got some smaller spurs coming so maybe I can get a little more. I've got a 25 pinion but it won't fit with the 54 spur, 56mph on 3s, 67 on a half charged 4s.

If you have a 25t pinion, the smallest spur gear you can fit is a 31t. It Barely fits.

You have to slide the pinion on the motor shaft while the motor and mounting plate are off the rig. After you jimmy the motor in place and align the proper distance on the shaft, tighten the grub screw.

Then you have to hold the pinion and spur out as far as they can get and tighten the motor plate to adjust the mesh.

Again, the 25/31 barely fits, but it fits!

Good luck!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Enthusiast
    Ran it today, 25/50 gears, 66mph on 3s, 75 on 4s.

How do you keep the front down? wheelies on command on 4s at 1/2-3/4 throttle. I feel like it would go 85 or more if I can keep the front down. Would belted tires help with that or do I just need to add weight to the front? I have the suspension on the lowest settings on the arms, but I did run stiffer springs, I could back off the preload but I feel like that would soften the suspension too much.
    Last edited by jjshultz78; 03-22-2021 at 06:49 PM.

RC Qualifier
    You don't want preload man. That just lifts the ride height. Maybe a tiny bit in the back to give it a "rake" but def none in the front. To stiffen your suspension you need stiffer springs and oil. Also, the slash body catches a lot of air so an new one that's more streamline would help. Adding weight to the front isn't a great idea either. Have you ever seen a drag car with a big old chunk of heavy steel hanging off the front bumper? Haha! Take out your preload and try with the body off first and see how it goes is my suggestion!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MysterE View Post
    You don't want preload man. That just lifts the ride height. Maybe a tiny bit in the back to give it a "rake" but def none in the front. To stiffen your suspension you need stiffer springs and oil. Also, the slash body catches a lot of air so an new one that's more streamline would help. Adding weight to the front isn't a great idea either. Have you ever seen a drag car with a big old chunk of heavy steel hanging off the front bumper? Haha! Take out your preload and try with the body off first and see how it goes is my suggestion!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    I took all the preload off now, but I was running with no body in the first place, it's not lifting because of air, it's just too torquey I guess.

It does fine til It's about 65 or so and when I give it more throttle it just wheelies. I guess I may have to make a different wheelie bar, it's almost like the traxxas one doesn't sit low enough.

RC Enthusiast
    I got a set of hoons coming, Those duratrax robber tires aint gonna last, already had a blowout, luckily just the glue came loose, I can re-glue it and run them on the beater slash if I want to run it on pavement any.

Quote Originally Posted by jjshultz78 View Post
    I got a set of hoons coming, Those duratrax robber tires aint gonna last, already had a blowout, luckily just the glue came loose, I can re-glue it and run them on the beater slash if I want to run it on pavement any.
    My go to street tires are the Duratrax Bandito SC-M C2 compound tires! They have served me well for years
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

What were your temps when running 25/50 gears? Can you bash around on them, or is that just for a few speed runs?

RC Competitor
    To keep the front end down you need stiff springs in the rear to keep it from squatting under power. Also a center differential will help keep it down if you are using a slipper. Weight in the front isn’t a good idea as it will effect the way it handles unless you tune the suspension for it and then the added weight slows you down anyway.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    What were your temps when running 25/50 gears? Can you bash around on them, or is that just for a few speed runs?
    I have no idea, I forgot to bring my temp gun, but I know the hw never went into thermal and you could touch the motor/esc with your hand without burning, it was warm, but wasn't blazing.

But I was running 20/54 and was staying cooler and still pulled 58 on 3s and 67 on 4s and it didn't try to wheelie hardly at all on those gears. I could stay full throttle through the whole pull.

RC Enthusiast
    Got the hoons and the 17mm adapters in, made a pass, it went from 75 on 4s to 73, but night and day difference. No tire ballooning, super steady and was able to bury the throttle with no wheelies. Gonna up the gear ratio to 26/45 see what happens.

RC Enthusiast
    Got the hoons and the 17mm adapters in, made a pass, it went from 75 on 4s to 73, but night and day difference. No tire ballooning, super steady and was able to bury the throttle with no wheelies. Gonna up the gear ratio to 26/45 see what happens.
    I run the hoons aero dish 100mm on my slash 2wd and love them. Those are some good tires.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    The road to a 100mph 2wd slash

I have a set of the aero Hoons and they run nice. Also have a set of 4 rear Felony Hoons. Haven’t run them yet, but they sure look nice!

RC Enthusiast
    I think I've tapped it out, running 4s, it went 80mph on 26/45 gears. But I can't find any any bigger pinions besides the arrma D safe ones, will those fit on a hobbywing motor shaft? I'm thinking the only option now is getting the lower kv max 8 motor and running 6s.

RC Enthusiast
    After a few more runs, 80 is the most I can get out of it. The options I'm considering is

1. run the 2200kv motor and run it on 6s
    2. I've got a max 6 esc waiting to go in the xmaxx when the stock vxl one goes out, I can get a motor for that and run the slash on that either 6 or 8s.
    3. Change to mod 1 gears, but stupid question. I don't have a hobby shop local, so I can't compare, but what's the difference in the 32p/mod.8 vs the mod 1 size wise? Like is a 26t mod 1 the same diameter as the mod8/32p or is it alot bigger? If I go much bigger diameter than the 26t 32p I have now it'll get into the chassis of the car, and I really don't want to start cutting to make gears fit.
    4. Sell it and buy a felony/infraction or limitless. lol

RC Enthusiast
    After a few more runs, 80 is the most I can get out of it. The options I'm considering is

1. run the 2200kv motor and run it on 6s
    2. I've got a max 6 esc waiting to go in the xmaxx when the stock vxl one goes out, I can get a motor for that and run the slash on that either 6 or 8s.
    3. Change to mod 1 gears, but stupid question. I don't have a hobby shop local, so I can't compare, but what's the difference in the 32p/mod.8 vs the mod 1 size wise? Like is a 26t mod 1 the same diameter as the mod8/32p or is it alot bigger? If I go much bigger diameter than the 26t 32p I have now it'll get into the chassis of the car, and I really don't want to start cutting to make gears fit.
    4. Sell it and buy a felony/infraction or limitless. lol
    Mod1 does not work with 32p/mod0.8. Also the castle 2200kv 1515 can only run up to 6s, so I would recommend getting a 6s esc that will work with it. You also shouldn't need to cut the chassis for the gears to fit, 37t on mod1 is about the same size as 50t on 32p/mod0.8.

Edit: Also I don't know if a 8s motor will fit as I do not have one. I can guarantee what I have stated though, as I do own both the motor that I mentioned and a 37t mod1 spur

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Hualiama; 04-15-2021 at 10:40 PM.
    The road to a 100mph 2wd slash