RC Qualifier

TRX-4 with a twist....

So, after almost finishing the Camel Trophy project, it became apparent that crawling would be out of the question with that body.

I was thinking of a way to still be able to do some crawling if I felt like it, without having to make enormous changes to the chassis. Having altered the wheelbase to 334mm to fit my TRC D100 Defender, made it very difficult to find a body that would fit.

So came up with this alternative body:

Ford F-150 Raptor from Traxxas. 330mm wheelbase. Comes with it's own front plastic bumper and plastic mirrors, plastic grill and vent on the hood. Pretty tough body, too. It's a bit wider, but will sort it out with some wheel extenders.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with how it came out, and especially that it's only a 10 minutes work to swap everything from the Defender setup to this one and vice versa.

RC Racer
    Looks good !!

Funny, last friday I tried fitting an E-Maxx body on my TRX-Defender.
    It's the body that I use on my Slash 4x4.

The E-Maxx body is a bit narrow and a few inches too short to fit, the rear bumper sticks out too far.
    It would probably fit with a shorter rear bumper mount.

And it's not as scale as the Raptor-body.

Not a bad start, that Raptor body looks proper on the chassis.

Looking at the back, you need to stretch the links a little bit and rework the bumper area to fill in that gap.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post

Looking at the back, you need to stretch the links a little bit and rework the bumper area to fill in that gap.
    The wheelbase is just right. The angle of the photo makes it look like it's shorter. It's the wheel track that need to extend a bit to bring the tires right below the fenders.

I reversed the rear bumper and the gap is smaller now, but still needs something to hide it completely. Maybe I'll just leave it as it is. I just wanted this to be my 2nd body, just for crawling anyway, so don't intent to put too much on it.

RC Qualifier
    Looks great! the gloss black looks really good.
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
    Looks great! the gloss black looks really good.
    Traxxas went the extra mile with this body. The color is actually metallic.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by xagoras View Post
    So, after almost finishing the Camel Trophy project, it became apparent that crawling would be out of the question with that body.

I was thinking of a way to still be able to do some crawling if I felt like it, without having to make enormous changes to the chassis. Having altered the wheelbase to 334mm to fit my TRC D100 Defender, made it very difficult to find a body that would fit.

So came up with this alternative body:

Ford F-150 Raptor from Traxxas. 330mm wheelbase. Comes with it's own front plastic bumper and plastic mirrors, plastic grill and vent on the hood. Pretty tough body, too. It's a bit wider, but will sort it out with some wheel extenders.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with how it came out, and especially that it's only a 10 minutes work to swap everything from the Defender setup to this one and vice versa.
    This body shell looks amazing.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post

Had to work with whatever plastic I had lying around, but the back, looking better now

RC Racer
    That looks a lot better.
    'If it's free, I'm buying two!'

RC Qualifier
    Not much to do on my other projects, while waiting for stuff to get through the post, so decided to work on this body a little bit. I'm still waiting for the wider wheel extenders to get here with the slow boat from China

Put some carbon details around the body

Then decided to get a bit creative, and made a custom roll bar from whatever scrp pieces I had lying around

Took it for a drive down by the beach today, and my son already tested it's durability
    It holds up great. I'm waiting for a light bar to install on the roof and this will protect it, I think.

RC Racer
    I have miss this one ...

Wow, this is a very nice addition to your collection !

For the rear of the Raptor, You may print in 3D a thin sheet of plastic that you can glue to the body and it will follow the shape of vehicle - then fine tune with a small and sharp blade - you can even apply your simili carbon fiber film on it

RC Qualifier
    I don't have a 3d printer, although looking at some creations and design out there, I'm really tempted to dive into it

I'll probably find something in my scrap box to throw there at some point or maybe trim the body to improve the departure angle, not sure yet.

RC Racer
    Oh,

No need 3D printing then. You can find a packaging shell, like this pic below, they a mostly made from ther****rming - the same process than your body shell. Cut what you want, glue it to your body shell with Go Shoe or similar stuff - then put tape our simili carbon fiber on

Another idea is to put some metallic or plastique mesh on.

Plastic can be found when buying some fragile fruit
    https://www.industrialnetting.com/flexible-sleeves.html
    Last edited by Bach; 03-05-2021 at 07:22 PM.

RC Qualifier
    The wheel extenders fianlly got here. I ordered 2 different sets that utilize different approach to this.

The GPM ones screw on the existing axle and then you need to tighten the wheel with the long nut supplied in the bag. This is terrible. DO NOT buy it. First of all the machinery is tragic. Then the supplied nut would not fit any of my rims, because it's just too big to go through. So, useless and unusable.

The TRC ones is a pretty good set. IF you want to permanently alter your track width. The set includes an extended axle to replace the stock in the portal. So it gives better support to the hex extender. Good build quality, but not optimal for my needs. If I install this, swapping back to the D110 body, would be very time consuming. I'll definitely be using them in another rig, though.

So after all this time waiting, I'm basically looking for a set of typical 10-12mm extenders. It made pull the trigger and ordered a set of Trenchers for it.

I installed some lights too. This body doesn't have light buckets, so found some nice leds that can be screwed on the body. The Traxxas light bar provides the most light on the roof.

I trimmed the body. The fenders are completely gone, which made the body narrower by almost 10mm. The arches are larger now, but hopefully the Trenchers will fill the gap.

I fitted the CT's on the beadlock wheels and took it for a drive. They are much wider than those Amazon tires, so it looks much better with them. Not quite there yet, but better

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by xagoras View Post
    The wheel extenders fianlly got here. I ordered 2 different sets that utilize different approach to this.

Wow, once turn on, those lights are not bad at all.

And the white sticker .... eheheh - very aligned with your location !

RC Qualifier
    That annoying gap on the back, bugged me for some time now, but didn't really put any thought to it. Today I did the obvious. Flipped the rear bumper mount and got rid of the top part of the bumper. And it's finally there...

It came out perfect. Even gave it a 50 degrees departure angle. Should make a big difference on the rocks. My sone wanted a spare tire mounted on the back, so did that too. Not sure about it though. If it affects CG too much, we might get rid of it.

I’m very late to this party, but very nice!

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    I received the Trenchers the other day and installed them. At the moment I'm still waiting for some 10mm hex extenders. They are a bit on the wide side, but the outer part of the wheels now sit just outside the wheel arches, so it looks much better.

The compound is harder than the average crawler tires, but it can still climb. Maybe I'll do some cuts on the threads to make it more grippy.

There are clearance issues however, because they hit the suspension links, so at the moment I've set the endpoints at 75% until I get some bended ones to solve this.