Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    10

    Looking to get my young kid a mini summit

    But first I think i need to answer the question: what's the stock speed using the included nimh?

    I feel like slow is the name of my game here. My son's 4. I've got my own trucks, but they are too fast/big for him. He's currently got some toy grade truck that he does okay on, but every now and then he will still hit stuff at full speed: cars, curbs, trees, etc. Its made mostly of foam and brittle plastic (and pretty sure it isn't water proof) and i don't expect it to last much longer.

    I've read plenty of other threads about recommendations for new trucks for kids, which is why i initially considered getting a P2DE or P4DE. But I think the lower size (weight) and slower speed of the brushed mini summit (less than the ~30 of either pede) might play into it's longevity? In addition, I'd run the stock nimh, put in training mode, and maybe go down to a 16T pinion. The overall goal to get speeds closer to 7-8mph. Maybe add some foam padding as a last resort, idk?

    I only found one video on youtube where they speed check the new mini summit. The guy gets 23mph, but for whatever reason doesn't say anywhere whether he's running lipo or stock nimh. Anyone help me out? Other options beside the tranny flip? Or do I stick with the foam giant for now and keep patching it up until he shows he's better on the controls?

    Many thanks.

  2. #2
    RC Racer ThatTraxxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    197
    He may like a merv or brushed 1/16 erevo, but itís your choice. Stock speed is around 25mph i believe on sport mode and on training around 10mph.
    Not necessarily, just because itís smaller itís more durable and slow, my merv needed a arms and metal servo and the summit will prob too. look at the merv, 50mph and tiny,or the xmaxx huge, heavy, durable.
    1/16 E-Revo VXL, Bandit XL-5 Just Gonna Send It!!

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier ElectricPropils's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Dallas TX
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by hector.fisher View Post
    But first I think i need to answer the question: what's the stock speed using the included nimh?

    I feel like slow is the name of my game here. My son's 4. I've got my own trucks, but they are too fast/big for him. He's currently got some toy grade truck that he does okay on, but every now and then he will still hit stuff at full speed: cars, curbs, trees, etc. Its made mostly of foam and brittle plastic (and pretty sure it isn't water proof) and i don't expect it to last much longer.

    I've read plenty of other threads about recommendations for new trucks for kids, which is why i initially considered getting a P2DE or P4DE. But I think the lower size (weight) and slower speed of the brushed mini summit (less than the ~30 of either pede) might play into it's longevity? In addition, I'd run the stock nimh, put in training mode, and maybe go down to a 16T pinion. The overall goal to get speeds closer to 7-8mph. Maybe add some foam padding as a last resort, idk?

    I only found one video on youtube where they speed check the new mini summit. The guy gets 23mph, but for whatever reason doesn't say anywhere whether he's running lipo or stock nimh. Anyone help me out? Other options beside the tranny flip? Or do I stick with the foam giant for now and keep patching it up until he shows he's better on the controls?

    Many thanks.
    I think my MERV out of the box (with included NiMh) went about 20 something, it was actually pretty quick. On training mode I'm sure that the speed will be much slower. Changing out the gearing for something a bit lower will also help, as well as increase the run time of course. As far as I know the 1/16 scale Traxxas models are invincible, especially on training. Now your walls and furniture, there may be a few scratches here and there at the end of the day (if you let him drive indoors).

    The best thing to do would be to teach him throttle and steering control, it's not an easy concept for a lot of people to grasp (oddly enough). I've had fully grown adults that are all or nothing when it comes to driving my RC cars, it's pretty infuriating. Obviously a 4 year old isn't going to be the best candidate when it comes to fine motor control but if you start teaching him now then it will definately be easier for him to get into bigger more powerful models.
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

  4. #4
    RC Champion RCWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    California Bay Area
    Posts
    1,178
    The Titan 12T is a fairly fast motor (it's the same motor in the brushed 1/10 Stampede), so 20mph sounds about right. If you want it to go slower, I would suggest only gearing it down to the speed you want instead of just using Training Mode, since the motor can brake better and stop the car faster. As for the durability, I agree with ElectricPropils. Traxxas models are pretty hard to break (still breakable, but it will take a lot of effort to break it). My dad crashed my Slash 2wd straight into a parking curb (around 75% full speed), and the car was fine other than a deep scuff on the front bumper (the car had no upgrades at the time, other than some stickers and LEDs). If the car hit at an angle instead of straight on, it could have broken one of the A-arms, but I'd say that's pretty durable already.

    Hope this helps!
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

  5. #5
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    10
    I'd considered a brushed merv, but it rains alot here, and we spend alot of time in either thick wet grass or "forest debris". From my thread digging, most people said the smaller tires and ride height tip the scales against the merv when driving off-road in those kinds of conditions. Sound like merv and summit have similar speeds though? Different gearing, but maybe the tires compensate.

    ElectricPropils, good point about about throttle control. I once let my brother (18 at the time) drive my HPI Bullet. It's a quick truck. For whatever reason he just didn't understand the concept of feathering the throttle, despite me explaining it was quick truck many many times. He was exactly one of those "all or nothing" people. Needless to say he eventually found my ankle with it and the bash session was quickly terminated after that. I think i'll start spending time working with my son on the "control" aspect with his current toy RC. Even though it tops out at like 5 mph.

    RCWilly, how much serious gearing down can you actually do? As far as I can tell, summits 55T spur is largest Traxxas offers and i could go down to 16T pinion. But that's not that much overall. How difficult is the tranny flip? Do i need to be a master-mechanic..? I've replaced diff gears, axles, shafts, and motor bearings on my Bullet, so i know I can at least take some things apart and put them back together.
    Last edited by hector.fisher; 02-02-2021 at 02:47 PM.

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier ElectricPropils's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Dallas TX
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by hector.fisher View Post
    I'd considered a brushed merv, but it rains alot here, and we spend alot of time in either thick wet grass or "forest debris". From my thread digging, most people said the smaller tires and ride height tip the scales against the merv when driving off-road in those kinds of conditions. Sound like merv and summit have similar speeds though? Different gearing, but maybe the tires compensate.

    ElectricPropils, good point about about throttle control. I once let my brother (18 at the time) drive my HPI Bullet. It's a quick truck. For whatever reason he just didn't understand the concept of feathering the throttle, despite me explaining it was quick truck many many times. He was exactly one of those "all or nothing" people. Needless to say he eventually found my ankle with it and the bash session was quickly terminated after that. I think i'll start spending time working with my son on the "control" aspect with his current toy RC. Even though it tops out at like 5 mph.

    RCWilly, how much serious gearing down can you actually do? As far as I can tell, summits 55T spur is largest Traxxas offers and i could go down to 16T pinion. But that's not that much overall. How difficult is the tranny flip? Do i need to be a master-mechanic..? I've replaced diff gears, axles, shafts, and motor bearings on my Bullet, so i know I can at least take some things apart and put them back together.
    You know, it would probably be better if you just get a torquier motor, like a 30 turn brushed motor. If you gear down and get a really high turn motor then you might be able to stay under 10 mph.
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

  7. #7
    RC Champion RCWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    California Bay Area
    Posts
    1,178
    Quote Originally Posted by hector.fisher View Post
    I'd considered a brushed merv, but it rains alot here, and we spend alot of time in either thick wet grass or "forest debris". From my thread digging, most people said the smaller tires and ride height tip the scales against the merv when driving off-road in those kinds of conditions. Sound like merv and summit have similar speeds though? Different gearing, but maybe the tires compensate.

    ElectricPropils, good point about about throttle control. I once let my brother (18 at the time) drive my HPI Bullet. It's a quick truck. For whatever reason he just didn't understand the concept of feathering the throttle, despite me explaining it was quick truck many many times. He was exactly one of those "all or nothing" people. Needless to say he eventually found my ankle with it and the bash session was quickly terminated after that. I think i'll start spending time working with my son on the "control" aspect with his current toy RC. Even though it tops out at like 5 mph.

    RCWilly, how much serious gearing down can you actually do? As far as I can tell, summits 55T spur is largest Traxxas offers and i could go down to 16T pinion. But that's not that much overall. How difficult is the tranny flip? Do i need to be a master-mechanic..? I've replaced diff gears, axles, shafts, and motor bearings on my Bullet, so i know I can at least take some things apart and put them back together.
    I am not completely familiar with the 1/16 line, so I am not sure how low the gearing can go or the tranny flip. If the lowest gearing is still too high, you can switch to a lower turn motor as ElectricPropils brought up. 5 slot motors are also a good option. They have smoother startups than most 3 slot motors (Titan 12T is a 3 slot), run cooler, but are much slower (which is probably also beneficial in your case). Holmes Hobbies make good quality brushed motors (mainly for crawlers), so you can take a look at their website (there's a chart for speed comparison if you scroll down in the link):
    https://holmeshobbies.com/motor-recommendations

    *Just for reference, the Trailmaster Sport is 3 slot, and the Crawlmaster Sport is 5 slot.

    In terms of speed, I think the HH Trailmaster sport 12T has a similar speed to the stock Titan 12T, so you can use the chart (in the link above) for speed comparisons. If you want a 5 slot motor, the CrawlMaster Sport 550 12T looks like a good starting point. If you want a 3 slot motor, then the Trailmaster sport 27T 550 would be good as well. You might also want to do a bit more research before deciding.

    Hope this helps!

    Edit: It might also be a good idea to drive the car first to see how it performs, and then make changes based on the results.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

  8. #8
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    18
    A $250 truck for a 4 year old? I would grab a Thunder Tiger 1/12 Hilux for under $100 honestly...... or buy 2. I did.

  9. #9
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by starluck rc View Post
    A $250 truck for a 4 year old? I would grab a Thunder Tiger 1/12 Hilux for under $100 honestly...... or buy 2. I did.
    Is $250 really too much for an RC 4 year old? I suspect that answer might be different for everyone. I can't be the only one whose had that thought though, right? Combine the hobby grade truck durability with the speed of a toy RC? I certainly don't want to buy another one of the $60 toy RC's he has now, just not good overall value.

    Really the main purpose for my post was trying to slow down the summit to make it last. I imagine the truck could easily grow with the capabilities of the driver and still be challenging/entertaining years on. Shoot, I mean I'd honestly probably drive the truck myself as well. You have a fair point, it's still $250. If I had multiple kids, i believe the considerations would be very different.

    I had originally considered the 2wd pede for the very reason that it is alot cheaper--almost $100--and bigger. But like I mentioned above, it's really not as feasible to gear down from ~30mph. The summit represented the next best solution I had arrived at thus far.

    However, as electricpropils and rcwilly pointed out, I could in theory drop one of the crawler motors in any one of these RCs and slow it down to whatever speed I need and swap back later. That's a real, relatively inexpensive possibility I hadn't considered. Much appreciated to you guys! Considering my son is still 4, I wasnt planning on jumping the gun right this second. But once his toy truck breaks, I'll be more seriously considering options.

  10. #10
    RC Champion RCWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    California Bay Area
    Posts
    1,178
    Quote Originally Posted by hector.fisher View Post
    Is $250 really too much for an RC 4 year old? I suspect that answer might be different for everyone. I can't be the only one whose had that thought though, right? Combine the hobby grade truck durability with the speed of a toy RC? I certainly don't want to buy another one of the $60 toy RC's he has now, just not good overall value.

    Really the main purpose for my post was trying to slow down the summit to make it last. I imagine the truck could easily grow with the capabilities of the driver and still be challenging/entertaining years on. Shoot, I mean I'd honestly probably drive the truck myself as well. You have a fair point, it's still $250. If I had multiple kids, i believe the considerations would be very different.

    I had originally considered the 2wd pede for the very reason that it is alot cheaper--almost $100--and bigger. But like I mentioned above, it's really not as feasible to gear down from ~30mph. The summit represented the next best solution I had arrived at thus far.

    However, as electricpropils and rcwilly pointed out, I could in theory drop one of the crawler motors in any one of these RCs and slow it down to whatever speed I need and swap back later. That's a real, relatively inexpensive possibility I hadn't considered. Much appreciated to you guys! Considering my son is still 4, I wasnt planning on jumping the gun right this second. But once his toy truck breaks, I'll be more seriously considering options.
    It's your choice really, so feel free to go with whichever one seems the most appealing to you. All the recommendations are just a direction to get started with and are meant to give you some ideas.

    Latrax (kind of like another company branched from Traxxas) makes 1/18th scale vehicles (completely hobby-grade as well): the Prerunner, Teton, and Rally, and they cost around $120-$130, so if you want something more affordable, they might be something to consider. Keep in mind there are other brands as well, but it is the Traxxas forums, so it would be a bit off-topic here.

    Hope this helps!
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

  11. #11
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Squeegie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    San Gabriel, California
    Posts
    8,680
    There is also the LaTrax Teton, Rally or Prerunner...
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

  12. #12
    Traxxas Marshal
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wherever the road takes me.
    Posts
    38,073
    I do think that having a hobby grade vehicle would be preferable to a "toy." Being able to replace parts and upgrade as their skill level rises are great things should they really take to the hobby.

    If you spend a lot of time in grass, I would probably consider a brushed 2WD Stampede; put it in training mode with a low gearing, and it would be plenty slow. A slower crawler motor (as discussed above) would slow it down further. Plus there are tons of upgrades available and lots of room to grow. The tire size and ground clearance would be better suited for grassy, that's for sure.

    As others have mentioned, LaTrax vehicle are also a great option. A Teton on training mode would be a great first vehicle for a youngster (and very affordable), but mine does get hot if I drive it a lot in the grass (while not in training mode).
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

  13. #13
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    10
    I think ultimately I was actually needing to get ideas outside my own box of thought, get some different perspectives. And overall this has been a good reminder that there are usually other options out there that you haven't yet considered but are worth at least exploring. So I appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts.

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier ElectricPropils's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Dallas TX
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by hector.fisher View Post
    Is $250 really too much for an RC 4 year old? I suspect that answer might be different for everyone. I can't be the only one whose had that thought though, right? Combine the hobby grade truck durability with the speed of a toy RC? I certainly don't want to buy another one of the $60 toy RC's he has now, just not good overall value.

    Really the main purpose for my post was trying to slow down the summit to make it last. I imagine the truck could easily grow with the capabilities of the driver and still be challenging/entertaining years on. Shoot, I mean I'd honestly probably drive the truck myself as well. You have a fair point, it's still $250. If I had multiple kids, i believe the considerations would be very different.

    I had originally considered the 2wd pede for the very reason that it is alot cheaper--almost $100--and bigger. But like I mentioned above, it's really not as feasible to gear down from ~30mph. The summit represented the next best solution I had arrived at thus far.

    However, as electricpropils and rcwilly pointed out, I could in theory drop one of the crawler motors in any one of these RCs and slow it down to whatever speed I need and swap back later. That's a real, relatively inexpensive possibility I hadn't considered. Much appreciated to you guys! Considering my son is still 4, I wasnt planning on jumping the gun right this second. But once his toy truck breaks, I'll be more seriously considering options.
    My first hobby grade car was actually a MERV and it was probably the best option at the time. It was small enough to keep me out of trouble yet it was big enough to power over obstacles. I bought it maybe 5 years ago and I still drive it to this day, over the years I have made many upgrades too. I think that is the main reason that I would recommend the 1/16 models, it has soo many upgrades and aftermarket parts that you can grow with the model.
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

  15. #15
    RC Racer ThatTraxxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPropils View Post
    My first hobby grade car was actually a MERV and it was probably the best option at the time. It was small enough to keep me out of trouble yet it was big enough to power over obstacles. I bought it maybe 5 years ago and I still drive it to this day, over the years I have made many upgrades too. I think that is the main reason that I would recommend the 1/16 models, it has soo many upgrades and aftermarket parts that you can grow with the model.
    Agreed, my 2nd was a merv and it’s sweet! There is lots of upgrades. It has tons of power and can go on deep snow, grass, pavement, gravel, dirt etc. It’s better than my bandit 1/10. IMHO it’s better than the summit 1/16
    1/16 E-Revo VXL, Bandit XL-5 Just Gonna Send It!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •