Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rc rv

RC Qualifier
    Got shocks set from side to side..assuming bumper is straight and using that as point of reference she is sitting square

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    It's official..front lights are going to clear bumper/brush guard..lights are 3mm so it appears I can use the 2 'fake' lights on the brush guard and install real lights! That will be a couple days getting done, the drill bits I have are too aggressive for that plastic

Trying to get all light holes drilled now so when I lightly sand and do a final prime coat the raw metal in the holes will get some primer on them

RC Qualifier
    Some scale accessories finally made it thru snail mail

RC Qualifier
    Sacrificed a drill bit to get brush guard lights in..spun it on a piece of porcelain tile to dull it up some so it wouldn't make a mess of the plastic guard..
    I will have to black out behind all lights as too much light is escaping behind the led bulbs.

Paint scheme is going to be two-toned..
    Gunmetal metallic to bottom window line and from there up including the roof a pewter metallic.. gunmetal is sprayed and since the roof is removable I was able to work on just that in the pewter color.

RC Qualifier
    Still have a ways to go but here is the paint scheme..have to put windows back in, finish final paint on inside of RV and now I'm still undecided if I want to just black out the windows or use the mesh window covers that are on order...
    A few more touches here and there on the paint and a couple of scale items still to be installed but I can see light at the end of the tunnel

WOW, you turned that project out quickly!!!! That thing looks sharp, very nice work!!!
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

^What he said!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    Thank you gentlemen!

Still have quite a few finishing items to tackle but all-in-all it came out very close to what I had envisioned in my mind..

Still waiting on certain items such as the one below.. actually able to find some original clone decals

RC Qualifier
    Recycle, re-use, repurpose...lol

Had some MAXX rear bumpers collecting dust that were removed to install light kits on my other rigs so original bumpers no longer in use.
    So after careful consideration and conversation with my 13 yr old about modifying those rear bumpers as rock sliders/nerf bars the official answer was, 'Yes, it makes it look even more 'off-roady'..
    So here it is..need to go make one for the other side.

Hopefully soon the day will be here when I can do a full clear coat on this rig.

Now I need to go find some 1x4 board and finish that baseboard molding missing in all these pics

Nice Job! Next??? AWD Ice Cream Truck!!!!! Just a request....

Great job, nice creativity and I was skeptical at first but it looks very cool...
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

That looks epic!!!! Nice job!
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Qualifier
    LOL..Thanks Nitro!

Just wanted to do something else..after looking into it keeping the original green and white paint scheme has been played out..

My color choices were actually based off of and centered around the Hoss wheel color/black chrome look.

I think the X-Maxx weighs around 21 lbs. with battery(s) so I'm still way under that but more than a Maxx.

Smaller wheels and I don't think I would have had to raise the inner floorpan..the RV could have probably sat on the shock tower L brackets..but smaller wheels wouldn't have the look I was after

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    That looks epic!!!! Nice job!
    Much appreciated Willy!

RC Qualifier
    Well, I got home from work and a rear bumper from another RC was in the mail..just spent the last 1.5 hr cutting, molding and melting plastic to shape, shorten and make the bumper a wrap around for the spare tire..I did switch the spare to a Traxxas TRX Mercedes wheel as the Hoss spare tire and wheel was just too much hanging off the back end of this rig.
    The TRX wheel for a spare looks much cleaner and neater.
    Now I have some finish sanding to do on the corners of the bumper I melded together

RC Qualifier
    Side view..

RC Qualifier
    Few more details and decals and the finish line will be here..

Found an 8" shorty antenna and made a custom bracket for that..
    Got front bumper installed.
    Found button head covers for the screw heads..maybe that will save some paint when it gets rolled..slide on the button heads instead of the screw heads..lol

Going full black out on all the windows..no reason to see inside when you can just lift the roof and see all you want to see.

Try to install all lights tonight and wait for grille decal on front of vehicle..

RC Qualifier
    Here is how simplistic the design was..these are the 2 'L' brackets I mentioned earlier in the thread contoured from heavy gauge sheet metal..
    4 screws to remove them and the Slash can go right back to being a Slash

Made them as large as possible to have more surface area and spread out the weight of the RV..nevermind the black tape, that was utilized as a reference point when taking measurements..

No Traxxas chassis were harmed in the making of this rig!

RC Qualifier
    Man this is coming out to nice. I'd be afraid of tipping over and scratching it. And I love the paint scheme.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
    Man this is coming out to nice. I'd be afraid of tipping over and scratching it. And I love the paint scheme.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Thanks Steve!

Since it was a metal body I actually used GM automotive paint colors..

It actually handles surprisingly well, not near as top heavy as I thought it would be..
    In the video link I posted I was trying to show it's stability with some donuts and turns on asphalt surface...I had a higher speed 2 wheel lift in a turn but my Maxx does that at speed also. Lol

RC Qualifier
    Many thanks to those of you who followed along..the Overland Expedition project has been taken about as far as I wanted it to go..only thing left for me to do is finish wiring lights in the front brush guard and install a couple decals coming in snail mail. In the pics below I show a scale ladder that I mounted on the rear of the vehicle, found scale outside mirrors used on Tamiya semi's and finally blacked out the inside of the rig.
    Wheelbase on the Slash 4x4 and the Maxx is only 1/4" difference..I haven't thoroughly checked into it yet but I am confident this project could have been done on a Maxx chassis also.
    Had a decal ordered that says "Follow your inner compass"..fitting slogan for an expedition vehicle and a nod to building YOUR next project.
    Thanks again, I've used enough bandwidth on this thread!

It came out great! I can't believe it only took 2 weeks. Awesome job on the colors.

Quick turn around and awesome build!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    ^^ Thank you guys..

Waiting on a single decal for the front grille area and she is completely finished.
    Finally got all lights installed and had an extra amber light so I installed it up in the underside of the roof so when the roof is used as an awning there is ambient lighting underneath the awning.

RC Qualifier
    Final grille decal arrived today..
    Applied that and dressed up windshield area with highlighted wiper blades that were molded in the windshield plastic and a color matching header strip at top of windshield..

Clear coat time has finally arrived!

I have been following this the whole time! Such a cool and unique build! I would be scared to run it and get it scratched!! Now you should build a trailer, or find a scale Jeep to tow behind it!

Rustler 4x4 VXL
    Rustler 4x4
    If it ain't broke, you're not trying!

RC Qualifier
    Thank you GTS..
    The finished product finally got here..��

I wanted to fabricate my own roof rack as mentioned earlier but the the material cost and weight made it a much simpler choice to use a preassembled rack for that purpose..those are all metal and rigid but they barely weigh anything.. I have entertained the thought of a trailer but am already indecisive if I would want an open flatbed or a matching enclosed trailer..lol
    I also got a chance to do some real measurements on a Maxx chassis and can confirm this RV body would work just as well on a Maxx frame..I enjoy running my Maxx's too much to idle one of them just for the few times I would use this RV so for now I'm happy with it on a Slash frame since it has the 4S setup.

All-in-all now that it's done and over there really isn't anything I would go back and change. I usually analyze that part of a build when I'm done but I'm satisfied I was able to take a Tonka RV to the next level of what I have seen floating around on the internet.

RC Qualifier
    This is pretty cool!!!
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

RC Qualifier
    The metal mesh window screens I ordered that fit the TRX Defender arrived today...
    Worked out way better then I expected..I don't have a need for any of the exposed hardware..I knew the measurements were close to the Tonka RV windows but these worked out perfectly to sandwich between the plastic windows and the RV body leaving a clean, crisp line around the windows...In my opinion they couldn't have worked out any better..happy I took a chance on them!

RC Qualifier
    Had to pay homage to where it began

RC Qualifier
    Insurance and registration was expensive! Haha

RC Qualifier
    RCSparks is selling his Tonka RV build..along with several other builds.

Getting crazy money for some of them

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RCSparks-RA....m46890.l49292

RC Qualifier
    With an undercarriage side by side comparison this is the exact reason I wanted to fit mine with a Slash or Maxx chassis...much cleaner look, higher ground clearance and all components protected by the chassis

Sparks RV (pic 1)

RC Qualifier
    RV #2 arrived today..still in contemplating mode as to what it will become..leaning towards hacking it up to be some type of matching trailer..
    Picked it up less than $100 bucks..probably get a decent portion of that amount back selling items I won't use from it..i.e. wheels, windows seats, inner doors and panels, etc.

RC Qualifier
    There it is on a MAXX chassis..inner RV floor would have to be raised just like the Slash chassis was..

Last edited by radio uncontrol; 03-10-2021 at 04:57 PM.

Fraser Valley, British Columbia, Canada-The Wet Coast!
    This is a sweet rig, man! Would love to see the second rig done on a Maxx chassis, but this is pretty amazing as-is! Subscribed!
    Slash 2WD Vision Edition
    100+ posts, here I come!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionSlash42 View Post
    This is a sweet rig, man! Would love to see the second rig done on a Maxx chassis, but this is pretty amazing as-is! Subscribed!
    Thanks Vision! Build time is dramatically reduced using the existing Slash or Maxx chassis..lol
    Essentially as far as motor/esc combo goes this rig has the same 4S setup as the Maxx but it would be interesting to see how the rest of the Maxx components/drive line would act

RC Qualifier
    It's equally aerodynamic from all 6 sides!

For the next one you should make the one from the movie RV
    When You Feel Down Send It To The MOON!!

Lol! The nice side with stripes or the ugly one!
    1/16 E-Revo VXL, Bandit XL-5 Just Gonna Send It!!

RC Qualifier
    If I did cousin Eddie from Christmas Vacation I could have this build finished tomorrow!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast