Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rc rv

RC Qualifier

Rc rv

Saw this for sale on a local sale app board..+1 for out of the box thinking..
    It hit me funny as I had one of those as a kid..they are metal and very large.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Yup, that is the common body for making a RC RV. That one is a bit more plan/unfinished compared to some that are out there.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Yes, that one is in rough condition..there are several other pics showing suspension and rig set up in detail but I can't imagine they aren't top-heavy..

Quote Originally Posted by radio uncontrol View Post
    ...l but I can't imagine they aren't top-heavy..
    Without a doubt. But, you are really not crawling a rig like that anyways; if you do it right, its a functional show piece. And, don't get me wrong, that one pictured has a lot of potential, a little time with Fusion 360 and my 3D printer would do wonders for it. Personally, if I were to do a build like that I would have a TRX4 chassis and drive train under there.

RC Qualifier
    Well, I did find out the approximate dimensions are 20.5 x 8...

Very similar to MAXX body measurements, so it could be used on a MAXX chassis or in my mind a Slash 4x4 chassis without doing wicked mods..
    I would chop the top down to remove window holes (and add to weight reduction/lower center of gravity) and just give the illusion of windows with a black out treatment during painting...

I have 2-3 startup projects laying around right now but this would be interesting even as a rolling showpiece..oh my, where does it end? [emoji43]

Let me go find that sale add again [emoji85]

I have 2-3 startup projects laying around right now but this would be interesting even as a rolling showpiece..oh my, where does it end? [emoji43]
    There is an ebb and flow, but if you are really into the hobby, it never ends. I normally have a two - four new projects lined up at any given time. Then there are the project I have gotten to a state of completion that I'll go back and revisit. Of course, there are projects that need maintenance and upgrades. I just finished my RC forklift, and am tuning the skid-steer so that it is more controllable, I have my TRX6 crane that I am actually starting serious work on, along with a tracked RC that I have no idea what I going to do with. Then I have my Tonka TRX4 tow truck that I am going to revisit and get things working better. Long ago I stopped calling a project "completed", and just call it "done for now".

Of course, all of this is balanced with family life, work, friends, and school. The key is to not get so wrapped up in it that it consumes you, but there are those times when a project just will not let you go until it is done.

Let me go find that sale add again [emoji85]
    I am wondering that the price on that guy is. From what I have see here, you can get one of those Tonka RVs that is in good shape for around $80.

RC Qualifier
    It's priced fair..he says he has lost interest but the details are that it is on a Bruiser clone chassis, is 4x4 with a 3 speed trans and has lights, brushed motor, esc already installed and does run. Claims all you need is a transmitter and receiver.

Yes I've seen several in the price range you mentioned but not locally in my area..shipping because of size and weight of these is typically as much as the cost of the RV.
    If I choose to get involved in a such a project I like the idea of starting from scratch with a brushless set-up that can actually move the thing and would be much simpler with attaching a body to a chassis with todays choices and options.
    Seems that would be more versatile than the crawler set-up he has tried to build.

I'll keep the whole idea on the back burner until I can score the RV body...then I will proceed to gut the inside and start some custom metal work.

Last edited by radio uncontrol; 02-03-2021 at 06:13 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Well, the beginning phase of the RV build has begun..acquired a donor Winnie..
    Most I see are set up as Crawlers..this one is getting a 4S setup.[emoji106]
    Updates once it arrives and the mods begin

Medic did a Winnebago build on his YouTube channel a while back:

Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    No 4-wheel steering here..trying to see if I can get the heavy beast to do wheelies on 4S [emoji2]

RC Qualifier
    Worst case scenario if it doesn't work as an RC I can learn to skateboard!

https://youtu.be/ZRqPRxIBsSs

Nice!!!

Wheelies, huh...? I would have gone another direction, but it will be fun to see what you can do with it.

No matter what, I think starting with that Tonka is a much better plan than the one you found online. In my humble opinion, $250 was pretty steep for that rig for the shape it was in.

RC Qualifier
    Well if what the guy says is true about just a transmitter/receiver is all it needs to get moving then the rest of completing his project would just be some paint and a 4-6 bulb light kit...

If you minus the $80-100 for the RV he has a ton of stuff on there for the remaining $150-160...Roof rack with full size spare tire and light bar, bumpers front and rear, bruiser clone frame, shocks, driveshafts, wheels/tires..he has window plastics they just were removed as he was prepping for paint, 3 speed trans, motor, esc...there is now way I'm getting all that elsewhere for around $150.
    If interested in a crawler set-up that would be the cheapest and easiest way to get there with a few hours of paint detail but other than the RV body it was a waste for me as all the components mentioned above I would have no need for since I'm not going in the crawler direction.
    So from that perspective I saw it as being a fair price..
    At 4S and metal driveshafts in the direction I am headed I will easily be double that amount on my build.
    All others I see have all their frames, motors, esc and related pieces attached outside underneath the RV floor exposed to whatever conditions/terrain they are encountering..I am planning on having all those things inside the rig above the floor and use the huge roof opening to access anything inside for upgrades, changes or even repairs as I am not even remotely interested in keeping the plastic RV layout inside the camper.
    For imaginations sake a metal bodied X-Maxx snap on tools truck edition direction (say that 5 times) but not exactly..[emoji102]. If that makes any sense

RC Qualifier
    The Winnie showed up today..project has begun..Slash 4x4 wheelbase is perfect with zero extension or shortening..

Traxxas TRX wheels and Hoss Sledgehammers...probably do the Sledgehammers, don't think the TRX wheels would do well on 4S..
    Will have to mod wheel openings as the body will sit lower in final profile.

Long way to go..sand, paint, lights etc..but at least the Slash chassis concept looks like it can be done.

RC Qualifier
    Slash chassis side to side is also almost identical to Winnie body side to side..

Transferring Slash measurements to Winnie body..once that's done I can start mock-up of body on frame.

RC Qualifier
    Slash 4x4 HCG with Hoss bumpers and wheelie bar measure 20.5"..the inside of the Winnie measures 21"..I won't even have to remove bumpers or do any chassis mods to make this work..the mods will only have to be on the RV body..therefore when complete I can just remove the RV body and put my MAXX body back without destroying a Slash chassis just for this project.. that's a WIN-WIN!

This is how tight everything is in the pics below but it should all work out..going to put some structural integrity back in the RV body and move forward..digging into a way to fabricate some custom fender flares...rubber, plastic or metal..one of those..

Last edited by radio uncontrol; 02-11-2021 at 05:44 PM.

RC Qualifier
    That's the inner floor of the RV..almost as if the Slash chassis was made for it..dimensions just about perfect.
    With the Slash chassis and the RV body I think the weight of the whole rig will end up being right near the weight of a MAXX...so with 4S this thing should be able to get out of its own way.. we'll see about cornering when I get to that point..all of the Slash will be IN the RV not UNDER the RV so handling will be as good as can be for what it is.

Last edited by radio uncontrol; 02-11-2021 at 05:56 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Got drivers side wheel arches/fender flares fabricated and shot in primer..they are an inch wide and will cover about half the tires once the body is permanently installed..glad I'm going with a different color scheme..the original paint scheme does not show all the body lines as well as a darker color..the fender flares and bumpers will eventually be blacked out.

RC Qualifier
    Got spare tire mounted, mocked up passenger side fender flares..
    Taking up alot of space here in this thread..probably be better to do a video timeline and post that at the end.
    I'm going for an Overland global expedition vehicle look with the 4S..not like the one in the last pic but that is one version of a expedition vehicle just for imaginations sake.
    Going to fabricate a custom roof rack for the top and install a few other items and then get to take everything back apart for sanding and paint. Only a day or two away from running it..just working on ride height adjustments with the pressed steel floorpan and securing it, then I can test drive before paint and work out any glitches

Last edited by radio uncontrol; 02-13-2021 at 09:24 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Light kit is on the way but I have plenty to do until it arrives

RC Qualifier
    The last one minute of this video I fully expect will happen a few times. [emoji16]

https://youtu.be/mum9b_z1LvM

RC Qualifier
    Has to get ugly before it can get pretty..
    The mounting tabs that hold the plastic windows in place can be seen thru the windows so I have to black them out now so when final masking and paint is done and windows are reinstalled the tabs won't be visible..I will also use a clear opaque spray on the interior of the plastic windows so they will retain a window look allowing light to enter or exit the interior but you won't be able to see thru them.
    This stance is within a 1/4" of final ride height.

That is a ton of ground clearance compared to a RV crawler setup

RC Qualifier
    Another piece of the Overland puzzle arrived in today's mail.. wasn't sure of scale when ordered, I could only go by measurements stated to me..it will work fine as my biggest concern was not wanting to move original headlight location on the RV and this sits just low enough I can still use original holes..it extends side to side just enough to match the width of the fender flares.

THAT'S AWESOME!!! Looking forward to seeing some video of it running!!!

Seriously not that direction I would have gone with it, but that is one the of things that makes this hobby awesome.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    THAT'S AWESOME!!! Looking forward to seeing some video of it running!!!

Seriously not that direction I would have gone with it, but that is one the of things that makes this hobby awesome.
    Thank you sir!

It's definitely an evolving project with things changing and adapting on a consistent basis..lol

I had originally intended to black out the windows but now have changed course with that and decided to keep them somewhat clear upon finding out that I can utilize some rigid metal mesh screens for Traxxas TRX windows that are almost the exact dimensions of the RV side and rear windows. Once installed they will deflect from seeing inside even with the clear windows.

Yes, she will be running soon..in the process of making 2 'L' brackets, one for each shock tower to attached RV floor pan to Slash chassis...this way I don't have to put any holes in the Slash chassis or mutilate a perfectly good chassis. Ultimate goal is to have a cool rig but the body can be removed and Slash can go back to being a Slash in about 10 minutes.

Waiting on parts and pieces is what dictates the builds progress.. that's the hardest part [emoji106]

RC Qualifier
    Floor pan is mocked up and fitted..the whole rig will get its rigidity back with this. Have to take it back out to sand, prime and paint it before reinstall.

(Pic 1) Above looking down in the rig
    (Pic 2) Underneath looking up to bottom of rig.

Pic 1 also shows all components I will have access to from opening the RV roof/awning..battery change out, turning esc on/off, turning lights on/off, access for fire extinguisher when ESC goes up, etc. All without having to remove the body.
    Work, life and waiting for parts will slow progress this week

RC Qualifier
    Got the inner floor primed.. hopefully can get on it again in the next few days.

RC Qualifier
    I cant wait to see this when its done.

So intuitive. Great job. [emoji108]

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615 View Post
    I cant wait to see this when its done.

So intuitive. Great job. [emoji108]

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk
    Thank you for your interest Calebs!

I'm going to see it to the end..I had it in my mind and now just a process of making it a 3D reality [emoji4]

Actually jacked right now..I got the 2 'L' brackets attached to the front and rear shock towers which attach to the RV floor pan..once that was done I was able to throw a battery in it and do a test and tune!
    Turned out awesome! Pics below show finished ride height and final chassis placement. It's dark here on the East Coast and dark by the time I ran it so I will post some kind of video tomorrow showing it run its paces.
    The rest will be paint, accessories, add-ons, roof rack and such. I think I have just today passed any major hurdles as the rest of the build is just dress up items.
    Didn't know I needed to buy stock in 100W shock oil. Lol!
    Had to go 100W all around and a set of VG racing springs up front which I think is one of the stiffest they sell..
    I was calculating around 11 lbs finished weight but this beast came in at 15 lbs [emoji15]

Anyhow the following pics show front and rear ground clearance...full lock left and right turns with no rubs and the chassis and body mated together from underneath.
    The galvanized silver sheet metal you see underneath are the 'L' brackets, I'll paint those once I get things apart again for final painting, pinstriping and trim work.

Last edited by radio uncontrol; 02-15-2021 at 08:23 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Front and rear ground clearance..

It's still wet in the pics..it was raining and snow on the ground when I took it out

Looking great so fa... keep it up!

RC Qualifier
    Had to make one more wheel arch for the spare tire..that will get blacked out also..
    Rock guard paint or bed liner type spray for all the wheel arches when I get to that stage

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Looking great so fa... keep it up!
    Thank you Squeegie... I'm givin' it all she's got Cap'n!!

RC Qualifier
    Well here's a short vid of the beast in action..much better handling then I anticipated..not bad for a 15 lb. beast.
    A few tweaks on setup and dialing in shocks and it will be legit!

I can always take this and do crawler speed but I can't take a crawler and do this speed [emoji4]

Don't even have the room to open it up on this test run but until I dial it in not sure I want to..lol

https://youtu.be/lwwiZ94GSlU

RC Qualifier
    Here's an action shot from goofing around with that video...I'll need a spare tire for my spare tire after rubbing a hole in the bottom of this one..

Last edited by radio uncontrol; 02-16-2021 at 06:03 PM.

RC Qualifier
    This is what I will use to keep the roof shut..

RC Qualifier
    All metal roof rack found its place.

RC Qualifier
    Single rack looked a tad unbalanced on such a big roof..

RC Qualifier
    After the test run earlier today I brought it back in and made some minor tweaks most of all making sure body and drive line were centered and squared up with each other..laser level to the rescue!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast