RC Enthusiast

Thumbs down Possible Burnt ESC??

Hello all!
    Welp, I think my Slash 4x4, is having issues.
    Went to run it today and it'll run for about 2 min., then it quits. Not getting flashing red led for a overheat condition, but, I noticed that the receiver flashes red and the ESC is a solid red.
    Soooo, went thru the re-binding process, took the transmitter back to the default setting, went thru the binding of the Trans, and ESC, noticed that I only got the single flash, for the throttle forward pull, but, when the led blinked twice and I pushed the throttle forward (reverse), no green led.
    Batteries were fully charged in the truck and the trans. (new). Am I looking at a new ESC??
    Don't have that many hours on the truck, but, I do have a cooling fan on the ESC (even disconnected that).
    I have heard, that there's been some issues with those.
    All stock/original Traxxas parts, at least the electronics are.
    Thanks for any replies and much appreciated.
    Old Guy
    Slash 4x4 w/TSM & OBA
    (Keegan Kincaid edition)

After rebinding the receiver to the transmitter, did you recalibrate the throttle to the esc?

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    After rebinding the receiver to the transmitter, did you recalibrate the throttle to the esc?

Yep, I'm going to check my owners manual on if it makes a diff., if the ESC has to be set for a certain mode, like either reg., race, or beginner. Don't think it does, but, I will check. It seems, that I'm looking at a new ESC. I will post, if something fixes it, or not. Thanx for replying. Old Guy
    Slash 4x4 w/TSM & OBA
    (Keegan Kincaid edition)

RC Competitor
    How about giving Traxxas a call? I've been told they know quite a bit about these things.

RC Enthusiast
    After much transmitter fiddling, ESC mode setting, I've been able to get it up and running. Only issue is, on the trans. (TQi), the "Park" button, works as should in the down pos. (all things work normally), but, when you place it into the "park" pos. (up), the throttle goes wide open in forward motion. Probably doesn't make much sense to you all, but, I even tried to put the trans. back to the "default" settings.
    It's got to be something simple. Going to play with it more and see what happens. Old Guy
    Slash 4x4 w/TSM & OBA
    (Keegan Kincaid edition)

What "park" button are you talking about? I've never seen one.

Are you talking about the 50/50 70/30 switch? If so it should stay in the position that the ESC was calibrated with. Usually 50/50 for electrics.
    Last edited by grizzly03; 02-02-2021 at 10:01 PM. Reason: neutral switch

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post

Are you talking about the 50/50 70/30 switch? If so it should stay in the position that the ESC was calibrated with. Usually 50/50 for electrics.
    He has the On Board Audio edition. It has a toggle switch on the transmitter that allows you to rev the motor and flip the switch and take off at full throttle.
    I recommend calling Traxxas support so they can best help you Rc'n OLD GUY!
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Enthusiast

My Slash 4x4 has the OBA system. The "park" switch (which allows you to "rev" the motor sound, without the truck moving), is located on the grip of the TQi transmitter. My truck seems to work as advertised, after re-binding, resetting all the factory defaults, etc.. The only thing that d/n work, is that switch. When I have everything energized, I move that "sw" to the up/park position and the throttle goes wide-open, until I flip it to the down/drive position. then everything operates normally.
    Old Guy
    Slash 4x4 w/TSM & OBA
    (Keegan Kincaid edition)

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    He has the On Board Audio edition. It has a toggle switch on the transmitter that allows you to rev the motor and flip the switch and take off at full throttle.
    Just sent them a E-mail. Hope they can get me pointed in the right direction. I know it's got to be something stupidly simple.
    Thanks for the reply. Old Guy
    Slash 4x4 w/TSM & OBA
    (Keegan Kincaid edition)

Quote Originally Posted by RC'n OLD GUY! View Post
    Just sent them a E-mail. Hope they can get me pointed in the right direction. I know it's got to be something stupidly simple.
    Thanks for the reply. Old Guy
    Going the email route can take a while. Call them...get it resolved much quicker.

Traxxas Support: 888-872-9927

~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

My Slash 4x4 has the OBA system. The "park" switch (which allows you to "rev" the motor sound, without the truck moving), is located on the grip of the TQi transmitter. My truck seems to work as advertised, after re-binding, resetting all the factory defaults, etc.. The only thing that d/n work, is that switch. When I have everything energized, I move that "sw" to the up/park position and the throttle goes wide-open, until I flip it to the down/drive position. then everything operates normally.
    Old Guy
    Didn't know the CH3 switch is was called that when the OBA was installed. Is the ESC plugged into the OBA unit and not into the receiver? If you remove the OBA unit does everything work, besides the OBA options?

RC Enthusiast
    Didn't know the CH3 switch is was called that when the OBA was installed. Is the ESC plugged into the OBA unit and not into the receiver? If you remove the OBA unit does everything work, besides the OBA options?
    Might have to try that route this a.m.. Might be able to isolate something more serious??? I'm one of those guys, that once I get started on something, it drives me nuts until I get it sorted/fixed. Too many years spinning wrenches.
    Thanks! Old Guy
    Slash 4x4 w/TSM & OBA
    (Keegan Kincaid edition)

RC Enthusiast
    Update: It appears that the "Park" sw., can't be used in the "Training Mode". In the "Sport" & "Race" modes, it works as should.
    Nowhere in the Operators Manual, does it say this. No "Warnings" or "Cautions" in the manual and I read that darn thing cover to cover. Am about to take it outside and run the poop out of it, to be certain it's "fixed".
    Grizzly03, I did unplug the OBA from the ESC and experienced no change.
    After I give it a good spanking, I'll report back. Thanks to all. Old Guy
    Last edited by RC'n OLD GUY!; 02-03-2021 at 03:05 PM.
    Slash 4x4 w/TSM & OBA
    (Keegan Kincaid edition)

Grizzly03, I did unplug the OBA from the ESC and experienced no change.
    After I give it a good spanking, I'll report back. Thanks to all. Old Guy
    You should have. If the OBA is removed the RED switch or "park" switch would do nothing. The vehicle shouldn't take off "wide-open" if nothing is hooked up to CH3. (which is what the red switch would control)

RC Enthusiast
    Back again!
    Ran the truck for about 10 min. and had the same issues. Had a hard time turning off the ESC, maybe, stuck sw., like others have said, got it to turn off and started trouble shooting again. Oh, before I turned the ESC off, it was blinking fast green.
    I made sure the Xmit. was bound to the Rec. (green lights on both), unplugged the OBA module, unplugged the steering serv., unplugged the fan, turned the ESC back "on", no change, still blinking fast green.
    Turned everything "off" again.
    Plugged everything back in, turned ESC "on" again (still had green light for OBA, Rec. and Xmit.), when I turned the ESC "on", I held the button down until I got the steady "red" light, let go, then when it flashed once, I held the throttle trigger full back, waited for the two red flashes, then the held the throttle in the full "reverse" position, no green flashes, nothing.
    That's were it all ended, so I bit the bullet and ordered a new ESC.
    I did try and call Traxxas, but, never spoke to anyone. I did get a response on my E-mail tho, and they seemed confused on the proper name of that switch. I called it the "Park" sw., or the 3rd channel sw.(??).
    I actually don't have too many hours on this truck. Heck, it hasn't even been submerged in a mud hole yet. I do run it quite a bit in the snow tho. Mainly a fair weather driver. Hope this fixes the issue and I can get back to running it without worries.
    Thank you all for the replies/suggestions. I will update this post, when I get the new ESC installed, just for future reference for others.
    Old Guy
    Slash 4x4 w/TSM & OBA
    (Keegan Kincaid edition)

RC Enthusiast
    Update #2
    Had to make a trip to the big city today, so, figured I'd drag the truck to the LHS, to see if I had trouble-shot my ESC issue correctly. Turns out, the ESC was bad. The young man at the store, took the time to check the receiver, servo, and motor,
    all checked good. Since I have a new ESC coming on Wed., I figured I would play it forward and spend some money. Bought two Lipo's, front stampede A-arm guards (wanted frt & rr's, but they just had the fronts), a pack of 12mm clamp-type wheel hexes. So...it will give me something to occupy my time, since it's below 0 here and I'm stuck in the man cave more than I want to be. Will let you all know if the money I spent, was worth it Old Guy
    Slash 4x4 w/TSM & OBA
    (Keegan Kincaid edition)

RC Enthusiast
    Update #3
    Truck back together and working. Just one issue, had to order the new ESC and Traxxas doesn't sell the one I need for the OBA.
    I can only purchase the #3355R ESC. The VXL-3s I need, is the one that has the black/red wire extending from the ESC. Traxxas d/n sell that one to the public, just warranty work/replacement purposes. Soooo, I found an old thread from '16. that has a procedure, just have to figure out how much I want to get myself involved with it.
    Thanks again everyone!! Old Guy
    Slash 4x4 w/TSM & OBA
    (Keegan Kincaid edition)

Update #3
    Truck back together and working. Just one issue, had to order the new ESC and Traxxas doesn't sell the one I need for the OBA.
    I can only purchase the #3355R ESC. The VXL-3s I need, is the one that has the black/red wire extending from the ESC. Traxxas d/n sell that one to the public, just warranty work/replacement purposes. Soooo, I found an old thread from '16. that has a procedure, just have to figure out how much I want to get myself involved with it.
    Thanks again everyone!! Old Guy
    You can actually power it from the power lead coming from the Velineon esc for the fan.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Enthusiast
    You can actually power it from the power lead coming from the Velineon esc for the fan.
    Yes, you are correct. I'm probably going to go that route, but, will have to run my ESC fan, off a 2s bat.. Have to get a plug (female), installed on the wire I cut off the original/bad ESC, so I can run it to the OBA. I thought I would just splice the leads into the main ESC/battery wires, but, I think that would allow too much voltage. Thanks! Old Guy
    Last edited by RC'n OLD GUY!; 02-12-2021 at 05:09 PM.
    Slash 4x4 w/TSM & OBA
    (Keegan Kincaid edition)

RC Enthusiast
    Update #4

Talked to Traxxas on this. They told me, they would not recommend using that plug, but I could if I wanted to. They recommended to wire directly off of the battery, so, I think I'm going that route. I Cut the "female" plug off the old ESC, then,I had a "male" plug I cut off an old battery, then, I cut the OBA wire off the old ESC, soldered + wire to + batt. wire, then soldered all + wires(red)together, all - wires(black)together, then, heat-shrinked the entire assy.. Plugged "jumper" to a freshly charged batt. and checked with a Multi-Meter, to make sure I was getting the full batt. voltage thru all +(red) plugs(7.8V), then plugged it in to the ESC, ESC turned on, fan worked, OBA module light turned "green". I think it will work, once I open the receiver and plug it all back in. I have to do a complete install, since I took it all out when I seen that the new ESC, didn't have the pwr wire for OBA, so, there's that.
    Truck runs great and got darn near 1.75 hours out of one battery(25c/7.4V/7600mAh/LiPo), and, that's with quite a few full-powered burst/runs. Also, I had not activated the LVA yet. Old Guy
    Last edited by RC'n OLD GUY!; 02-16-2021 at 06:54 PM.
    Slash 4x4 w/TSM & OBA
    (Keegan Kincaid edition)