RC poster

1/16 Slash Dual Battery Suspension Setup

What springs should I be running in the rear to account for the considerable extra weight of dual batteries?

Been bashing my brushed 1/16 Slash for about 9 months with some 2200mAh 2s HRB lipos which I would recommend to anyone looking for a higher capacity 2s to run in the 1/16 platform. FYI Very minor modification needed to run the thicker leads out of the tray ie' carving out a slightly wider hole for the thicker gauge cable, totally worth it. I get a solid 1hr of run time when running 2 of these batteries in parallel.

I've upgraded the rear springs to purple 1/16 summit springs (the stiffest available I believe) which did the trick for sag/ride-height which was a problem with the dual battery setup but it flips forward over jumps now and I'm trying to figure out what the next step is. The rear sagged a lot more than the front to the point where the rear tires where almost constantly rubbing the body but the front looked ok. Should I stiffen the front springs as well? Soften the rear springs a bit? Go with thicker or lighter weight oil?
    I'm kinda at a loss here on how to get it to jump flatter or more neutral.

I'm hoping there are some 1/16 dual battery slash owners around to weigh in on what spring setup works for them because I've been kinda forced to take the info and opinions of MERV owners and try to make them work for the slash but it doesn't quite translate to the suspension of the slash.

Your springs are so strong when you land a jump it pushes back too hard and causes the vehicle to flip head over heels.
    Try a thicker shock oil, (a lot thicker) and if that still doesnít fix it use the thick shock oil and soften the springs until itís better.
    All and all if it still doesnít work, put the stock springs on and make them as stiff as possible with thick oil. I have the MERV and this is what I would do, obviously the slash is definitely similar, but different.
    Hope this helps!
    1/16 E-Revo VXL, Bandit XL-5 Just Gonna Send It!!

RC Qualifier
    I run purples in the rear shocks and I had to have 80wt fluid to make it pass the drop test and run right.

Just for reference at high level:

Springs > Returns the truck back to adjusted height. Not used to adjust ride height. You should have higher rate springs for heavier trucks so that it can return to the at rest height properly. If you go too high of rate, the weight of the truck will not compress the springs and will give a "too stiff" and "bouncy" feeling.

Shock Oil > Dampens the spring action upon compression or release. Not used to adjust ride height. Lighter oil allows more spring motion, heavier prevents it. If your oil is too light for the springs and weight of vehicle, the vehicle will bounce instead of absorb bumps.

Shock collars/adjustment ring > This adjusts ride height. When adjusted too much, will reduce the amount of spring travel that is possible.

RC poster
    Thanks for the info got some GPM shocks headed my way and some 80wt.
    I'll keep on trying to dial it in!

Quote Originally Posted by halygon View Post
    I run purples in the rear shocks and I had to have 80wt fluid to make it pass the drop test and run right.

Just for reference at high level:

Springs > Returns the truck back to adjusted height. Not used to adjust ride height. You should have higher rate springs for heavier trucks so that it can return to the at rest height properly. If you go too high of rate, the weight of the truck will not compress the springs and will give a "too stiff" and "bouncy" feeling.

Shock Oil > Dampens the spring action upon compression or release. Not used to adjust ride height. Lighter oil allows more spring motion, heavier prevents it. If your oil is too light for the springs and weight of vehicle, the vehicle will bounce instead of absorb bumps.

Shock collars/adjustment ring > This adjusts ride height. When adjusted too much, will reduce the amount of spring travel that is possible.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Optoomistic View Post
    Thanks for the info got some GPM shocks headed my way and some 80wt.
    I'll keep on trying to dial it in!
    Also, you might google "RC Drop Test" to see videos of what an RC should look like when dropped from a foot or two above the ground. In general it should land like a wet rag and not bounce - nor should it slap the ground.

RC poster
    So the kit comes with three different springs to choose from in progressively stiffer rates.
    Any guidance here on which to install front and rear for an off road rocky dirt jumping setup?
    Like I said I have a pair of the purple Summit springs on the rear stock shocks now so those are an option.
    I'm gonna be filling the new GPM shocks w 80wt oil all around.

RC poster
    Keep the purple springs in the rear but run thicker oil.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by halygon View Post
    Also, you might google "RC Drop Test" to see videos of what an RC should look like when dropped from a foot or two above the ground. In general it should land like a wet rag and not bounce - nor should it slap the ground.
    So I landed on the GPM kit with the blk (softest) springs front and rear with 80wt oil SO much better and more balanced. The stock shock had waaay less dampening.
    A couple notes- the GPM kit springs blk, gold, silver are light, med, heavy. I read a couple places that the gold were the stiffest. Not the case. The silver certainly are the stiffest.

I had installed blk front and silver rear and it performed similar to when the purple summit springs were in the rear on the stock shocks. Ie throwing the rear end up over bumps.

Switched to blk front and rear and it's almost totally balanced over small bumps now.
    Keep in mind this is with two 2200 lipos installed. Will be testing it over some bigger dirt jumps tomorrow morning TBD.

When performing a drop test from 12-14" with the blk front and rear. The rear slaps moderately and the front lands plush. This is with about 2-3mm of preload dialed up the rear and the front w no additional preload added.

I've read some contradicting opinions/info about the 1/16 platform and it's design w regards to "slapping the ground" on jumps/drops. Some have said to dial the suspension to prevent this. Others saying it's a design feature to prevent the suspension components from taking all of the impact. I'd like to hear from you and your experience with the 1/16 platform on this. Have you stiffened your suspension to not slap on 1-2' drops? What's your experience with that suspension setup? Is some rear slap the norm? Also, some people have criticized the GPM damper kit for being shorter travel and/or not allowing "full" travel and thus preventing the chassis from slapping in turn causing more stress on the suspension components. In my experience, this is not the case. The kit DOES allow the chassis to hit; although less than the stock shocks. It's seems to strike a nice balance here.

That's all for now.
    Cheers

RC poster
    Update
    Settled on the GPM shocks black springs front and back w 80 wt oil.
    The slash jumps like a dream one dual and single 2200 lipos!

There you have it