RC Racer

Thinking about an Xmaxx.... Customization options

Hey All,

I have a Traxxas Erevo 2.0 VXL. Really digging it. Super fast, handles great, pretty durable. A bit more involved (for a newb like me) when it comes to working on it, but so far with the help of this forum and youtube, I'm doing ok....

I'm considering an Xmaxx or a Maxx (widekit). How do these trucks compare to the erevo from a driving perspective how do they compare from a durability perspective?

Any reason to pick the Maxx over the Xmaxx other than price?

Lastly, I really enjoy customizing my RC car's. It seems like the Xmaxx has a lot more options in this area.

Thanks all!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by emaxx21 View Post
    Hey All,

I have a Traxxas Erevo 2.0 VXL. Really digging it. Super fast, handles great, pretty durable. A bit more involved (for a newb like me) when it comes to working on it, but so far with the help of this forum and youtube, I'm doing ok....

I'm considering an Xmaxx or a Maxx (widekit). How do these trucks compare to the erevo from a driving perspective how do they compare from a durability perspective?

Lastly, I really enjoy customizing my RC car's. It seems like the Xmaxx has a lot more options in this area.

Thanks all!
    The X-Maxx is the king of Monster Trucks, and it's a Traxxas must have. The driving experience is absolute different to others RC's, from stock is excellent, and you can customize it in every detail. You really enjoy it if you purchase it.

RC Qualifier

Thinking about an Xmaxx.... Customization options

Hey All,

Thanks all!
    Welcome to the addictive money pit that is RC Trucks!

The only reason to NOT get an X-Maxx is either cost or a decent place to really run it.

Itís that good.

Itís truly dangerous if you crash into someone or something so you really need a good place to run it.

I run a 4Pede also.

I also had 3 E-Maxes that I sold when I got my X-Maxx. Itís that good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dmarzke; 02-07-2021 at 10:37 PM.

RC Racer
    There is no reason to pick a Maxx over an Xmaxx besides price. The smiles that the xmaxx will put on your face will more than make up for the cost. It rips, it jumps, and it even crashes fun. If your wallet can swing the immediate and long-term costs then I say do it! If you decide to go with either have a fun time and welcome to the bobby!
    His Glory Alone all the way to the grave.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by bashing fo fun View Post
    There is no reason to pick a Maxx over an Xmaxx besides price. The smiles that the xmaxx will put on your face will more than make up for the cost. It rips, it jumps, and it even crashes fun. If your wallet can swing the immediate and long-term costs then I say do it! If you decide to go with either have a fun time and welcome to the bobby!

Thanks guys!

Xmaxx price doesn't bother me (might bother my wife, but she has no idea how much I spend on RC :-)), my current thinking is space to drive it, but I seem to find decent open space for the erevo (it requires some room as well).

Since I have the erevo, a widemaxx Maxx is probably a very similar car (correct me if I'm wrong). My research leads me to believe if I were to buy a Maxx add the widemaxx and some other upgrades, I'll essentially be getting a more durable (probably won't handle as well) erevo. Is this thinking correct?

Xmaxx is a different animal. I also dig the Pro-line Raptor body for the Xmaxx.

RC Champion
    Smaller toy won’t be as impressive as the Larger Xmaxx

You will be satisfied with the Xmaxx purchase

Having 3 is RC paradise
    fabricator

RC Racer
    Thanks guys!

Xmaxx price doesn't bother me (might bother my wife, but she has no idea how much I spend on RC :-)), my current thinking is space to drive it, but I seem to find decent open space for the erevo (it requires some room as well).

Since I have the erevo, a widemaxx Maxx is probably a very similar car (correct me if I'm wrong). My research leads me to believe if I were to buy a Maxx add the widemaxx and some other upgrades, I'll essentially be getting a more durable (probably won't handle as well) erevo. Is this thinking correct?

Xmaxx is a different animal. I also dig the Pro-line Raptor body for the Xmaxx.
    First off the Xmaxx isn't in the animal kingdom the things a genetically modified t-rex with laser eyes. But in all seriousness, if you go with the Maxx with the widemaxx you're getting a fairly different beast than the Revo that will be a little more fun and way more durable. I say pull the trigger on the X if you're not worried about the cost. If needed just ask your neighbors if you can tear down the neighborhood so you can have dirt plots to drive on just kidding. If you have a real space issue then maybe just do the Maxx but if I were you go on google earth and try to find a big open space so you can buy the T-rex with laser eyes.

RC Qualifier
    Get the X-Maxx - you are going to wish you did earlier!.
    Ray00
    EĖRevo │ E-Revo BE
    ITCHY THROTTLE FINGER!

RC Racer
    First off the Xmaxx isn't in the animal kingdom the things a genetically modified t-rex with laser eyes. But in all seriousness, if you go with the Maxx with the widemaxx you're getting a fairly different beast than the Revo that will be a little more fun and way more durable. I say pull the trigger on the X if you're not worried about the cost. If needed just ask your neighbors if you can tear down the neighborhood so you can have dirt plots to drive on just kidding. If you have a real space issue then maybe just do the Maxx but if I were you go on google earth and try to find a big open space so you can buy the T-rex with laser eyes.
    Great review! Thanks for taking the time to write it.

The plot grows thicker......

A buddy of mine has a Maxx with widekitt, steel CVDís, 17mm hubs, Bluetooth module, 4s Traxxas battery. Itís been run 10 times. It runs great. It could use a new body and maybe some tires.

He will sell it to me for $400.

Iím kinda thinking $400 is a deal I canít pass up.

RC poster
    I'll tell you my story real quick!

I went with a buddy to get my first RC (mini E-Revo). Purchased it BRAND NEW and as I was walking out, I saw a used Xmaxx in the back with a Orange Proline Raptor buddy on it (hard to miss). I asked my friend what is it and why is so BIG? He explained to me what the Xmaxx was all about and I literally returned the Mini E-Revo before I even walked out and purchased the used Xmaxx (it was in great shape and wasn't a ton more then the new Mini since it came with two buddies, charger and batteries).

Just in case you're wondering, I've had it for over a year now and I have not regarded it whatsoever! I just added the Felony to my collection too!

RC Racer
    That’s a great story!! How’s the Felony? It looks badass.

RC poster
    That’s a great story!! How’s the Felony? It looks badass.
    I love it! Only had it out a few times before the snow storms starting hitting! Although I found a guy who stapled his tires and took it out in the snow, LOL! But why do that when you have an Xmaxx!

But overall, I love my Felony! Its my first Arrma and street basher! Its a absolute blast to rip around in parking lots! Next I need to switch out the gearing and find a nice open stretch to test out that 80mph top speed!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyv8 View Post
    I love it! Only had it out a few times before the snow storms starting hitting! Although I found a guy who stapled his tires and took it out in the snow, LOL! But why do that when you have an Xmaxx!

But overall, I love my Felony! Its my first Arrma and street basher! Its a absolute blast to rip around in parking lots! Next I need to switch out the gearing and find a nice open stretch to test out that 80mph top speed!
    So I know they are totally different but, if I donít get the Xmaxx/ Maxx Iíd get a Felony.

After I got my xmaxx I only bring out the erevo2 for a buddy to play with or if xmaxx is on healing bench awaiting parts.

Xmaxx just rips so much harder

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Just note that xmaxx is quite the hanful to drive
    1/16 E-Revo VXL, Bandit XL-5 Just Gonna Send It!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    After I got my xmaxx I only bring out the erevo2 for a buddy to play with or if xmaxx is on healing bench awaiting parts.

Xmaxx just rips so much harder

It's that much more fun to drive than the erevo huh?

I had erevo2 for perhaps 1.5 to 2y before I found a used xmaxx in almost new condition for a steal I couldn't pass up.

Had the xmaxx about for over a year now.

I'd much rather bring out the xmaxx than the erevo.

My erevo and xmaxx are stock motor/esc. Gearing.

Xmaxx wheelie on command regardless of terrain. Erevo doesn't wheelie anything like the xmaxx. though think if I replace diff fluid with 500k( what I run in xmaxx) will perk back up as haven't services the diffs in 2y or more. Perhaps I've just been to hard on the erevo motor and starting to show as well already replaced the bearings in it since they went bad a year or more ago.

Xmaxx way easier to work on than erevo. 9 screws, lift skid and pull diff cover. and your diff is out on xmaxx. Erevo I think it was 20+ screws

I run 5000mha and 7800mha batteries in the erevo,

Run 9700mha in xmaxx. I can go through both sets of batteries in erevo in the time I go through one set on xmaxx.

I've gotten both cars dialed in now. But I really had to abuse the xmaxx before I broke a part. Where erevo was going through rod ends and little things. Xmaxx definitely takes abuse and keep on going.

Xmaxx is about 5mph fast stock for me.

Only downside with xmaxx is how unhappy it makes the wallet. Parts cost a bit more. Batteries cost more, tires cost as much as a 1:1 car...

Think replacement parts cost have been about the same between erevo vs xmaxx (outside of my hr diff covers for xmaxx.) Perhaps a bit more on the xmaxx as I have broken about 6 a arms darn rouge trees jumping out at me.

Xmaxx will handle much rougher terrain as well.

Only thing on xmaxx I didn't like was the body. Breaking a month in. Even with fiber tape mod. Due to rear tailgate area bending over rear shock towers. But after I changed that out to a unmentionable body. Been solid. And how poor the wiring is on the trx led kit. But a wireloom fixes that.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    I had erevo2 for perhaps 1.5 to 2y before I found a used xmaxx in almost new condition for a steal I couldn't pass up.

Had the xmaxx about for over a year now.

I'd much rather bring out the xmaxx than the erevo.

My erevo and xmaxx are stock motor/esc. Gearing.

Xmaxx wheelie on command regardless of terrain. Erevo doesn't wheelie anything like the xmaxx. though think if I replace diff fluid with 500k( what I run in xmaxx) will perk back up as haven't services the diffs in 2y or more. Perhaps I've just been to hard on the erevo motor and starting to show as well already replaced the bearings in it since they went bad a year or more ago.

Xmaxx way easier to work on than erevo. 9 screws, lift skid and pull diff cover. and your diff is out on xmaxx. Erevo I think it was 20+ screws

I run 5000mha and 7800mha batteries in the erevo,

Run 9700mha in xmaxx. I can go through both sets of batteries in erevo in the time I go through one set on xmaxx.

I've gotten both cars dialed in now. But I really had to abuse the xmaxx before I broke a part. Where erevo was going through rod ends and little things. Xmaxx definitely takes abuse and keep on going.

Xmaxx is about 5mph fast stock for me.

Only downside with xmaxx is how unhappy it makes the wallet. Parts cost a bit more. Batteries cost more, tires cost as much as a 1:1 car...

Think replacement parts cost have been about the same between erevo vs xmaxx (outside of my hr diff covers for xmaxx.) Perhaps a bit more on the xmaxx as I have broken about 6 a arms darn rouge trees jumping out at me.

Xmaxx will handle much rougher terrain as well.

Only thing on xmaxx I didn't like was the body. Breaking a month in. Even with fiber tape mod. Due to rear tailgate area bending over rear shock towers. But after I changed that out to a unmentionable body. Been solid. And how poor the wiring is on the trx led kit. But a wireloom fixes that.

Really great review.
    I'm just on the fence on this Maxx with upgrades for $400 or go deep for an Xmaxx.

RC Qualifier
    Really great review.
    I'm just on the fence on this Maxx with upgrades for $400 or go deep for an Xmaxx.
    Go deep on X max, nothing goes bigger or higher.

RC Champion
    Can’t turn down the Maxx for $400

Then get an Xmaxx
    Both are worthy
    fabricator

Get both. Best of both worlds.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyXMAXX View Post
    Canít turn down the Maxx for $400

Then get an Xmaxx
    Both are worthy
    I bought the Maxx. Too good of a deal to pass up.

The maxx is also a great purchase.
    1/16 E-Revo VXL, Bandit XL-5 Just Gonna Send It!!

RC Racer
    I bought the Maxx. Too good of a deal to pass up.
    I'm happy for you. The max rips and is probably tougher stock than the X. Also when you're ready for another truck you can get the t-rex with laser eyes.

RC Racer
    I'm happy for you. The max rips and is probably tougher stock than the X. Also when you're ready for another truck you can get the t-rex with laser eyes.

Thanks man! I appreciate it.