RC Racer

Hoss Light Kit - question

Got the light kit installed. Works great.

On the Traxxas app (Bluetooth module) it shows a button for lights. I press it and it says no high voltage power amplifier detected.... so do I need to buy the the high voltage amplifier to turn the lights on and off with the app?

RC Qualifier
    I have read the TRX-4 light kit has the same issue on the app also..as of right now I haven't heard of a work around.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

The power amplifier is what powers the HV LED lights kits you will find on the 1/10 Maxx, UDR, and Xmaxx. Those light kits can be controlled from the app, because each of those light kits require the use of the power amplifier.

The LED light kits for the TRX4, Rustler 4x4, and Hoss are low voltage @ 3volts constant, nothing more and as such use a different power module for the lights. This different power module does nothing more than supply power to the LEDs.

So because of these differences, there isnít a work around because they simply cannot do the functions the HV LED kits can do because they werenít designed to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm just a noob

RC Qualifier
    Technically there is a workaround but it depends how bad you really need lights controlled by the app..

I have a Hoss with 4S and a UDR light kit but I have no inclination to use the link module and app from many issues I have read about firmware updates and other link related problems..so theoretically my setup would do what the OP asked but not with his current setup..

RC Qualifier
    Here's the comparison Rocketzx was explaining..

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by radio uncontrol View Post
    Here's the comparison Rocketzx was explaining..

Thanks guys! I don't need to control the lights with the app, but when I saw it I was thinking it would be cool. Bummed it doesn't work like this on the Hoss. Not a huge deal.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by emaxx21 View Post
    Thanks guys! I don't need to control the lights with the app, but when I saw it I was thinking it would be cool. Bummed it doesn't work like this on the Hoss. Not a huge deal.
    Yea.. the only real option of light control with the battery supplied adapter that the Hoss kit has short of unplugging them when not wanted is a simple in line on/off switch.. I use one on a Slash with a Hoss light kit install.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by radio uncontrol View Post
    Yea.. the only real option of light control with the battery supplied adapter that the Hoss kit has short of unplugging them when not wanted is a simple in line on/off switch.. I use one on a Slash with a Hoss light kit install.

I use XT60 plugs on all my vehicles. Have several brands. I am thinking I can solder it into the ESC plug to work. If I'm wrong someone let me know.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jdorseyjr64 View Post
    I use XT60 plugs on all my vehicles. Have several brands. I am thinking I can solder it into the ESC plug to work. If I'm wrong someone let me know.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    This is what I did for my rustler 4x4 light kit and my hoss kit. Works fine. Hereís a pic of my hoss, you can see the wires are soldered to the esc plug.

I'm just a noob

RC Qualifier
    Couldnít you just power them off of a 3S balance plug?

I use the 4S balance connector to run the 12v cooling fan on my X. It runs really fast too.