RC Qualifier

Project HossPede has begun.

After becoming addicted to the Traxxas Body Clip system, I know, itís not perfect, I was jealous of the Hoss.

So a couple of weeks ago I jumped on the Hoss Forum and decided to get a Hoss Body on my otherwise standard 4Pede.

So, I ordered an Orange Hoss Body, 9011A, for $72, the 6738 rear shock tower for $10, and the 6739 front shock tower for $7.

The shock towers dropped right in. You have to ďtrimĒ the front body mount to make it fit.

An hour later it finally sat down without bending and the from mount was so thin I was worried it would break so I glued a piece of styrene across the bridge.

You also have to ďtrimĒ the front clip on the body.

And since I decided to keep my stock front bumper and light kit, I had to ďtrimĒ the body around them. This is still a work in progress.

And then I looked at the rear end and decided I wanted to run the Hoss Rear Bumper and Wheelie Bar. 9036 for $7, and 9078 for $12. I will post a new pic when they get installed.
    After looking at the Hoss Bumper I realized I could mount permanent tail lights to it. Nice little bonus.

Juryís still out on the overall verdict as it will take some more fine tuning to get things finished but I am already liking the body so far.

Just for reference I am running pretty big tires for a Pede but I am liking them so far. Here are the Trenchers I was running before.

I will update as I install the bumper and lights.

Thanks Traxxas for using a mix of old and new. I can grab some nice new features while keeping my very expensive and durable 4Pede investment.

I figure after I wear this body out I will do the full chassis replacement then. Wanted to see how it worked first though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    That front shock tower that is trimmed is much stronger than you imagine..there is no real pressure or stress on the top piece you trimmed as it is just there to hold the body skeleton in place..proof of that is I have to do that same trim to make Maxx bodies fit on Slash chassis' and I recently built one for a co-worker after he saw another one I had done...told him $500 and I can make/build one with 3S setup..
    Last thing I told him when we exchanged car for cash was to make sure it is pointed where you want to go when you pull the trigger, it is not a 'toy'..
    Next day, he hasn't ran a full battery thru it and hits a curb and I get these images..lol
    The shock tower survived in your area of concern but sheared off a piece as it ripped out the shock screw upon impact.

Below is the green one he purchased..the multi-colored one is mine with 4S.
    The second pic is what the Slash towers look like when modified like your Stampede mod.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by radio uncontrol; 02-08-2021 at 09:59 AM.

RC Qualifier
    As far as rear bumper on your Stampede/Hoss hybrid I had to make a choice to run the body on the outside of the Hoss bumper or it will have to be tucked behind the rear Hoss bumper..the body line wants to fall right where the bumper sits and the Hoss bumper with the lights is a little thicker than the original Hoss bumper..This may not be an issue for you when your bumper arrives as your body may sit more forward as it looks like there was more skeleton removed from your project.

Last edited by radio uncontrol; 02-08-2021 at 10:04 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I went full Hoss bumper..front and rear, but it was an easy choice as I didn't have any lights to save on original bumper..

You'll love the new body..it also tends to act as a stiffening brace on the whole truck so if there is a rollover it tends to keep rolling instead accepting the impact like the bodies without a skeleton.

Very cool!!
    When You Feel Down Send It To The MOON!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by radio uncontrol View Post
    As far as rear bumper on your Stampede/Hoss hybrid I had to make a choice to run the body on the outside of the Hoss bumper or it will have to be tucked behind the rear Hoss bumper..the body line wants to fall right where the bumper sits and the Hoss bumper with the lights is a little thicker than the original Hoss bumper..This may not be an issue for you when your bumper arrives as your body may sit more forward as it looks like there was more skeleton removed from your project.

I will see where it falls and decide what to do.

If it lands in front I will prolly trim around the lights I put in the bumper.

If it falls behind I will prolly just trim it off.

You should check this out
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...Hoss-4x4-build
    have fun!
    1/16 E-Revo VXL, Bandit XL-5 Just Gonna Send It!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatTraxxas View Post
    You should check this out
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...Hoss-4x4-build
    have fun!
    Yep, he was one of the threads that got me going. I just wanted to do it in smaller steps.

Starting with the body and rear bumper.

Next winter I will add the chassis, front bumper, and the Hoss Light kit.

Mired in snow right now so canít really run it yet.

We shall see.

Good progress so far, good looking build. Good to kno my noobish build thread helped inspire you to slowly do the same thing with your stampede!

I really need to finish up my Emaxx build, still waiting on parts though . Itís almost ready.

I'm just a noob

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    Good progress so far, good looking build. Good to kno my noobish build thread helped inspire you to slowly do the same thing with your stampede!

I really need to finish up my Emaxx build, still waiting on parts though . Itís almost ready.

I got my first Traxxas almost 20 years ago. I bought the Sport Maxx. Should have gone straight to the T as I added all the mods within 6 months.

I actually converted that one to Brushless and owned 2 other EMaxxes.

Great drivers truck, just a bit too complex and fragile for me. Sold them all when I got my X.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmarzke View Post
    I got my first Traxxas almost 20 years ago. I bought the Sport Maxx. Should have gone straight to the T as I added all the mods within 6 months.

Great drivers truck, just a bit too complex and fragile for me. Sold them all when I got my X.

My first rc was a Tamiya Hornet. I had to work at my grandparents house one summer to buy a roller from the local hobby shop. My dad helped me finish building it and painting the body. Man I trashed that thing and wasnít ever really ďgoodĒ to it, but it took the abuse. Wish I still had it.

My first Traxxas is my 1/16 Erevo. Itís nearly indestructible, itís way too quick and I can take it anywhere

Hope to get a Maxx after I finish up my Emaxx.

I'm just a noob

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    My first rc was a Tamiya Hornet. I had to work at my grandparents house one summer to buy a roller from the local hobby shop. My dad helped me finish building it and painting the body. Man I trashed that thing and wasnít ever really ďgoodĒ to it, but it took the abuse. Wish I still had it.

My first Traxxas is my 1/16 Erevo. Itís nearly indestructible, itís way too quick and I can take it anywhere

Hope to get a Maxx after I finish up my Emaxx.

I started out in the mid 90s with a Tamiya Lunchbox. I beat the snot out of it and kept rebuilding the shock mounts with brass stock, wire, and 5 minute epoxy.

Ah the joys of analog radios and NiCad batteries.

I remember sitting there and watching the battery charger waiting for it to get done so I could go run my rc. I had one of those fancy chargers that had a needle gauge to tell you how well a charge your batteries were taking and a 15 min turn dial. Would take roughly 25 mins of charging but it was part of the fun.

I'm just a noob

RC Qualifier
    Hoss rear bumper and wheelie bar came in last night. It is so much better looking than the original. Great upgrade.

I am going to order the Hoss Light Kit and install the rear bumper now and the front when I get around to adding the chassis.

Gonna go take it out for a short run but itís single digits,Fahrenheit, here today.

So far liking everything so far.

RC Qualifier

Project HossPede has begun.

Gotta do something with my stimulus money.

Sweet, looks like my 10,500 mah 3S SMC batteries are a direct drop into my Hoss Chassis. Iíll have to figure out some straps to hold them.

Guess I gotta go get some black dye tomorrow.

Iím gonna need bigger springs.

Last edited by Dmarzke; 03-05-2021 at 10:34 PM.

Fraser Valley, British Columbia, Canada-The Wet Coast!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmarzke View Post

My first 'hobby-grade' RC was a Latrax SST that I bought on Craigslist. Thing just kept eating diffs, so I retired it and as a late birthday present to myself last year, bought a Slash.
    Slash 2WD Vision Edition
    100+ posts, here I come!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionSlash42 View Post
    My first 'hobby-grade' RC was a Latrax SST that I bought on Craigslist. Thing just kept eating diffs, so I retired it and as a late birthday present to myself last year, bought a Slash.
    I love the whole 4 Pede, Rustler, Slash, Hoss ecosystem Traxxas has created.

Itís a great place to play if you like to experiment with so many parts being interchangeable.

I figure it will take 2-3 weeks to get ready to install Hoss Chassis. Gotta get around to ordering the light kit so I am ready to go as it warms up.

RC Qualifier
    Left the chassis soaking in Dye all week