RC Enthusiast

hoss gearing question

I have been messing around with gearing, I went from the stock gearing of 14pinion/54spur to 18p/54s, now Im at 18p/50s Im at the same tooth count as factory..I dont have a gps to check but Im thinking its back to factory speed? It seems alot faster then stock to me did I just gain quicker acceleration? Im trying to wrap my brain around it. Maybe its all in my head but it seems just as fast as the 18p/54s.

14/54 to 18/50 is a big jump, so there should be a significant increase in speed. The tooth count actually doesn't play much of a role in gearing. It's more about the gear ratio (teeth count to teeth count instead of total teeth count). I think that's where you got confused.

With 14/54 gearing, when the pinion spins once, the spur spins 14/54 (roughly 0.26) times.
    With 18/50 gearing, when the pinion spins once, the spur spins 18/50 (0.36) times, which is much faster (about 38% faster on paper, but it's really 30-35% faster in real life).

Generally speaking, a larger pinion and smaller spur do the same thing: increases speed and decreases torque; a smaller pinion and larger spur decreases speed and increases torque.

Hope this clarifies some stuff!
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    14/54 to 18/50 is a big jump, so there should be a significant increase in speed. The tooth count actually doesn't play much of a role in gearing. It's more about the gear ratio (teeth count to teeth count instead of total teeth count). I think that's where you got confused.

With 14/54 gearing, when the pinion spins once, the spur spins 14/54 (roughly 0.26) times.
    With 18/50 gearing, when the pinion spins once, the spur spins 18/50 (0.36) times, which is much faster (about 38% faster on paper, but it's really 30-35% faster in real life).

Generally speaking, a larger pinion and smaller spur do the same thing: increases speed and decreases torque; a smaller pinion and larger spur decreases speed and increases torque.

Hope this clarifies some stuff!
    Thank you, I believe follow you..so Im a tad slower with 18/50 then using the 18/54, the 18/50 the spur gear is about .2222 and change behind a full rotation of the 54s? Im seeing about a 30F cooler motor temp after about 15 min of speed runs compared to the 18/54...but I put in a Traxxas aluminum motor mount in in the middle of all this gear experimenting.

RC Enthusiast
    If you downloaded your PDF owners manual you will find a chart that shows pinion gear teeth # matched with spur gear teeth # and there respective ratio and what type of driving it should be used for.

RC Enthusiast
    I felt that my Hoss had a little to much torque and lacking top speed. Don't really want to flip when I hit the throttle. The wimpy wheelie bar doesn't help things much. I changed my pinion from 14T to 17T and WOW it is still a wheelie machine but now it is also a rocket ship ! I hope it does not overheat. 15 & 16T are not available. I also upgraded the wheelie bar. I used the same setup I did on my Rustler 4x4 VXL. Traxxas part#3678 wheelie bar will fit with RPM #80962 mounting kit. This wheelie bar is much sturdier and is also adjustable. No more flips just pure and crazy acceleration.