Spur Gear Getting Chewed up ?

Greetings, Hope everyone's well.
    I am having a problem after setting the gear mesh. I set it as close as I can. I rotate it by hand make sure there are no tight spots. Then I rev the car full throttle with the backend elevated with no wheels on.. Forward and hitting reverse. Also full reverse and full forward. I do this a few times check to make sure my gear mesh is correct. Its looks all good. No signs of stripped teeth. Awesome. Put the wheels on Take it for a run on the concrete as this is when the issue is actually encountered, When the car is on the concrete. I am running for like 2 and a half minutes all fine then the gear mesh sounds bad after 2 and a half minutes. I go to look at the mesh.

Here is what I see, Pic 1 There is like pieces of plastic between where the pinion sits. Pic 2 is how it should look. Very fine lines in between. No plastic in between. Note this is the same gear after the 2 minutes just at 2 different spots. throughout the gear. Pic 3 is the gear mesh.
    Nothing seems to be Loosening. I didn't put locite on this. Pic 4 as that never loosens. My Slipper is not too tight either I think? Maybe too loose. The car takes off very fast like normal.

I took everything the whole slipper assembly apart and looked at everything maybe I missed a detail.

I have a video of the binding. Just waiting on it finish uploading.

What could be wrong, Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks Yall.

VROOOMMMM

Also forgot to mention 2wd slash. Transmission rolls freely with pinion gear not engaged.

VROOOMMMM

RC Qualifier
    Assuming you are setting the mesh correctly, and nothing is coming loose,
    then I would have to say you’ve got a bearing going in the motor or the clutch/top shaft.
    It’s not recommended that you run your rig, with or without wheels, on the bench.
    Use paper strips to check your mesh. If done right, spurs should last a long time...
    Unless there’s other issues...
    The pinion looks ok. Your clutch pads look fouled. That could make the pads stick.
    No slip in the clutch will strain your spur.
    Lube gears with a couple drops of oil.
    Last edited by fortunespoonz; 02-11-2021 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fortunespoonz View Post
    Assuming you are setting the mesh correctly, and nothing is coming loose,
    then I would have to say youíve got a bearing going in the motor or the clutch/top shaft.
    Itís not recommended that you run your rig, with or without wheels, on the bench.
    Use paper strips to check your mesh. If done right, spurs should last a long time...
    Unless thereís other issues...
    The pinion looks ok. Your clutch pads look fouled. That could make the pads stick.
    No slip in the clutch will strain your spur.
    Lube gears with a couple drops of oil.
    Thanks for the input. Top(clutch) shaft would be the bearings on the shaft inside the transmission that hold the slipper ? Check those? Pic 1
    Have never heard of lubing, think that may be the issue 3 in 1 ok for that?
    Will clean the pads.
    Also why is it not recommended to run it on the bench first time hearing this curious why. I do it all the time maybe I been making a bad mistake. Hope not LOL.

VROOOMMMM

RC Qualifier
    Not running it on the bench, especially full throttle, is one of those RC 101 things someone told me early in my rc days.
    Probably more safety related, but I can see how full throttle vs no load could over rev causing strain.

I just use a little shock oil to lube the spur and pinion.

Clean the pads with detergent and dry thoroughly. Rub in a circular motion on fine grit sandpaper to renew the pads. Replace cracked or oil soaked pads in sets.
    How’s the clutch plate? They can be flipped over if grooved heavily.

There’s 2 internal bearings on the top shaft as well as the one in the spur. If one or more is worn, the spur can wobble and wear out prematurely. Check for side to side play in that shaft as well as the motor shaft. Excessively tight gear mesh kills motor bearings and then eventually spurs...

You really should check with paper when you mesh. You want it tight, but not too tight.
    The paper will tell you...
    Last edited by fortunespoonz; 02-12-2021 at 12:08 AM.

Not running it on the bench, especially full throttle, is one of those RC 101 things someone told me early in my rc days.
    Probably more safety related, but I can see how full throttle vs no load could over rev causing strain.

I just use a little shock oil to lube the spur and pinion.

Clean the pads with detergent and dry thoroughly. Rub in a circular motion on fine grit sandpaper to renew the pads. Replace cracked or oil soaked pads in sets.
    Howís the clutch plate? They can be flipped over if grooved heavily.

Thereís 2 internal bearings on the top shaft as well as the one in the spur. If one or more is worn, the spur can wobble and wear out prematurely. Check for side to side play in that shaft as well as the motor shaft. Excessively tight gear mesh kills motor bearings and then eventually spurs...

You really should check with paper when you mesh. You want it tight, but not too tight.
    The paper will tell you...
    I see very interesting about the safety tips.
    I did check for play. The shaft does wobble a little tiny bit, more like a soft knocking feel, doesn't even wobble 1 mm yet, so I just wait on that to get worse. The main problem though was my gear mesh was crappy. I didn't know the motor could be rotated that much from the bottom motor screw. No more stripped gears. Although might not lube the gears as I read that attracts dirt and stuff. Also the pads look a lot better after renewing them.

VROOOMMMM

RC Competitor
    Replace those bearings...the are a buck a piece. You donít want even the slightest bit of wobble...at high rpms this is amplified.

Quote Originally Posted by Finz View Post
    Replace those bearings...the are a buck a piece. You donít want even the slightest bit of wobble...at high rpms this is amplified.
    Thanks good looking out. Will do just wonder why they would wobble if there clean and lubricated and spin freely?

VROOOMMMM

RC Qualifier
    Thereís always a tiny bit of wobble, get new bearings and see/feel the difference.
    Itís surprising how sloppy they can get before they sound bad or explode.

Just a drop or 2 of oil, NEVER grease, on the spur while rotating a bit by hand until evenly coated.
    As long as your gear cover fits well thereís very little dirt to get in and stick.
    If not oil, use some alternative ďdryĒ lube. Lube is always better than none unless itís grease!
    Last edited by fortunespoonz; 02-27-2021 at 01:58 PM.

Thereís always a tiny bit of wobble, get new bearings and see/feel the difference.
    Itís surprising how sloppy they can get before they sound bad or explode.

Just a drop or 2 of oil, NEVER grease, on the spur while rotating a bit by hand until evenly coated.
    As long as your gear cover fits well thereís very little dirt to get in and stick.
    If not oil, use some alternative ďdryĒ lube. Lube is always better than none unless itís grease!
    Knowledge, Always learning in this hobby while having a ton of fun that's why I love it. You have a good point about the lube and the gear cover. The moving parts of the rc get a lot of wear.

VROOOMMMM

It looks like the mesh is too tight but a picture doesn't fully communicate the mesh feel. Even with a piece of paper in there you can set the mesh too tight. I see alot of people say to set your mesh properly but rarely quantify their meaning. So here goes my best effort aat it.

To properly set the mesh of any gear system. You need the space to allow for thermal expansion and generous wear within the system.

So you can have a mesh that seems perfect at first but gets overly tight as the parts expand and the mesh space disappears. Here is where experience starts to lend a hand. I have buggered up afew spur gears over the decades and found there is no tool that can properly set every mesh on the cheap like a strip of paper. Each set of parts acts a bit different in the small nuances and yes mesh is one of the tiny ones. A strip of paper is a good start but the pressure you apply to crush that paper in the mesh can vary wildly per person.

Your spur gear wear looks like a tight mesh. If it was too loose you will chip bits of teeth off and possibly whole teeth. I would set the mesh looser than you have and see if you chip teeth off instead. If it does not change the results then dig deeper and look to shaft/bearing wear or maybe diff case deformation. Good luck.

EDIT: NEVER lube a plastic spur. Their chemical composite is self lubricating with wear.
    Last edited by zedorda; 02-27-2021 at 05:15 PM.

RC Qualifier
    NEVER seems a bit strong, and obviously I disagree. But I’ll take the other side for a bit...

Reasons NOT to lube the spur/pinion. “Spurs are self-lubricating” True!
    Use of the wrong lube, ie cheap grease, can cause problems with build up in the cogs.
    Too much oil will foul the clutch pads and is mostly flung off the gears anyways...

My reason to lube the spur...
    New spurs are not really that smooth and need a break in period. New pinions too.
    This is why I add a tiny bit of oil to the spur and work it around to coat the gears.
    A drop or 2 is the limit. I drag the tip of the oil container over the spur as I rotate it and drag a thin line of oil over the cogs.
    After 1 revolution I stop the oil and keep turning until evenly distributed. Any excess gets flung off.

IMO no lube is OK, a bit of lube is better, but no lube is better than lubing it wrong!

I can see your point. I used to use powdered graphite on my plastic gear meshes. With a similar idea behind it. Dry lubes do limit the debri contamination. If you know what you are doing I see it not hurting anything. I stopped doing it because I didn't have long term benefits and it was a mess to deal with sometimes.