RC Competitor

1/16 E-Revo - Larger Battery Options?

I have 2 1200mAh NiMH batteries but then quickly upgraded to 2 of the 2200mAh LiPo's. During the warmer months 2 of the LiPo's were about lasting the same run time as 7600mAh in the Slash when running with my son. However, with the colder weather lately his 2200's have been running out very quickly! I would say the 2200's have the same number of charges on them as the 7600 does.

Traxxas does not seem to make a larger capacity battery to fit in the side bays, is there another company that does that people recommend?

Just looking to get a bit more run time for him when in the colder weather when running with him. By colder I mean 32-40 degrees.

Thanks!

RC Racer
    When I went battery shopping I rarely found batteries that had a significantly larger capacity. The only thing I can recommend is that you pay extra attention to the dimensions of the battery so the batteries will fit.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

With the size of the battery compartments Iím not sure youíre going to get anything better than 2500 mAh. I run 2200 mAh 2 cells and 1300 mAh 3 cells. I could be wrong though, there could be bigger and better batteries that fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What does this do- Oh whoops I broke it

I would start by checking the bearings and drive train for any binding that would create more load on the LiPos.

Good luck!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the replies. Does not seem like there are really another other options given the tight space requirements.

The bearings and drive train seem to be operating without issues and do not feel any binding or friction and would cause added load and reduced battery time.

How many charges are these batteries good for?

Quote Originally Posted by westwind77 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Does not seem like there are really another other options given the tight space requirements.

The bearings and drive train seem to be operating without issues and do not feel any binding or friction and would cause added load and reduced battery time.

How many charges are these batteries good for?
    Most lipo batteries only survive around 300 charge cycles. Battery life can also be affected by leaving them around while dead or on a full charge and exposing them to extreme heat/cold.

Are you running in snow and ice? They extra wheel spin will drain the batteries faster.

1/16 E-Revo - Larger Battery Options?

Quote Originally Posted by TwinTurboV8 View Post
    Most lipo batteries only survive around 300 charge cycles. Battery life can also be affected by leaving them around while dead or on a full charge and exposing them to extreme heat/cold.

Also adding on to my statement. Iíve been having similar occurrences with shortened battery life. I used to get 50 minutes to an hour with 2s batteries in parallel in normal weather, but now that itís cooled down to about 30-40 degrees, the run time has been affected quite a bit. If anything, this could just be a normal occurrence due to the temperature outside.

RC Competitor
    We are still a fair way off from that 300 number, however there are times I do charge them fully but we don't end up going out and they sit a month. Would it be best just to charge on the 'storage' setting?

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Are you running in snow and ice? They extra wheel spin will drain the batteries faster.
    Yes, these last runs were on snow/ice - however both vehicles were on the same surface yet the 7600 just would not die it seems, when normally the 7600 will fade shortly after the other two.

Also adding on to my statement. I’ve been having similar occurrences with shortened battery life. I used to get 50 minutes to an hour with 2s batteries in parallel in normal weather, but now that it’s cooled down to about 30-40 degrees, the run time has been affected quite a bit. If anything, this could just be a normal occurrence due to the temperature outside.

I'm wondering if the colder temps just happen to affect the small 2200's more than the larger 7600.

The colder temps do affect battery life, so it's possible that being smaller would affect them more.

As for storing a fully charged LiPo for an extended time, it causes them to degrade faster. You should always return them to a storage charge if they are not going to be used.

The colder temps do affect battery life, so it's possible that being smaller would affect them more.

As for storing a fully charged LiPo for an extended time, it causes them to degrade faster. You should always return them to a storage charge if they are not going to be used.
    Yup. What grizzly03 said.

RC Competitor

Thanks! I guess I will just 'charge to store' and if we want to use I will just charge then. I would rather take a bit of extra time and have more run time.

RC Qualifier
    You might just simply try to insulate the batteries when running in cold temps so that it doesn't get too cold.

I never had the chance to see the affect of cold on lipos until recently due to snowmageddon here in Texas. My X-maxx runs were much shorter than expected, and the output of the batteries were slowed when they got too cold. I am sure the same occurs in the merv, especially with the battery compartments being so close to the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by halygon View Post
    You might just simply try to insulate the batteries when running in cold temps so that it doesn't get too cold.

I never had the chance to see the affect of cold on lipos until recently due to snowmageddon here in Texas. My X-maxx runs were much shorter than expected, and the output of the batteries were slowed when they got too cold. I am sure the same occurs in the merv, especially with the battery compartments being so close to the ground.
    Right. Running 2s in parallel in my MERV went from 50 minutes to an hour of runtime in normal weather all the way down to 15-20 minutes of runtime. The cold definitely affects the batteries a lot.

RC poster
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rc-Car-2S-L....m46890.l49292

I've not used these but have been running hrb 2200mah in my slash and love them... I can't see how they are cramming over double the capacity into the same tray but ... non the less this may be an option...

Quote Originally Posted by Optoomistic View Post
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rc-Car-2S-L....m46890.l49292

I've not used these but have been running hrb 2200mah in my slash and love them... I can't see how they are cramming over double the capacity into the same tray but ... non the less this may be an option...
    Those batteries won't fit. The description of what they fit is wrong. Don't get fooled by shady sellers.

The battery compartment on the 1/16 Traxxas vehicles is 100mm X 35mm X 20mm LxWxH.

Agreed with above.
    You have to be careful on amazon because there is a lot of Chinese company’s that don’t know what their talking about. Like grizzly said there “shady and sketchy”
    1/16 E-Revo VXL, Bandit XL-5 Just Gonna Send It!!