RC Qualifier

Is it time to trade up for a Maxx?

After opinions please guys.

I've recently built a 4S stampede out of a rolling chassis and an ESC/Motor I had spare.

4S Build Thread

Thing is, I wanted a truck for at home on the yard because the X-Maxx is just too big. I like to jump the truck and the stampede doesn't seem the right choice for this. Its also looking expensive to upgrade the stampede drive train to make it reliable on the ridiculous motor/ESC.
    So, is it time to start to build a Maxx?

All the electrics could drop straight in. Buy complete front and rear diff from eBay, pick up a wide maxx kit, then slowly grab the rest of the bits as I find them. Motor may take some work, but that could be addressed I'm sure.

I love the stampede, but has it simply become outdated compared to the Maxx?
    I don't want to throw money at the stampede just to find it's not as usable as the Maxx for ripping up the garden and getting air time.

RC Qualifier

Is it time to trade up for a Maxx?

If you are looking for a MAXX, then it will be cheaper and get you on the road much quicker to buy one.

I am in the middle of a Hoss upgrade on my 4Pede on 3S. Did the body and rear bumper already. Next will be the Chassis. The front and rear clip, with all the expensive parts stays. I also run 6 inch tall tires.

Of course the snow hit right as I finished phase 1 so I havenít been able to run it yet.

But yes, bigger is better. I just love my X.

Just another option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dmarzke; 02-16-2021 at 10:40 AM.

If it wasn't for covid and job security, I'd be sitting on the same fence... would be a far easier decision if I didn't have so much $ in the 4pede. I know if I got the maxx, I'd have to get the wide kid, cvd's, likely different wheels/tires and eventually an unbreakable body because I'd drive the thing to death. So that's another $250 shortly after getting it. I'm assuming I can move over my servo, 4074 motor and 150A esc...
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca 3 View Post
    After opinions please guys.

I've recently built a 4S stampede out of a rolling chassis and an ESC/Motor I had spare.

4S Build Thread

Thing is, I wanted a truck for at home on the yard because the X-Maxx is just too big. I like to jump the truck and the stampede doesn't seem the right choice for this. Its also looking expensive to upgrade the stampede drive train to make it reliable on the ridiculous motor/ESC.
    So, is it time to start to build a Maxx?

All the electrics could drop straight in. Buy complete front and rear diff from eBay, pick up a wide maxx kit, then slowly grab the rest of the bits as I find them. Motor may take some work, but that could be addressed I'm sure.

I love the stampede, but has it simply become outdated compared to the Maxx?
    I don't want to throw money at the stampede just to find it's not as usable as the Maxx for ripping up the garden and getting air time.
    Great minds, I've been considering a Max this week also. I figure it would make a good skate park truck...

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    If it wasn't for covid and job security, I'd be sitting on the same fence... would be a far easier decision if I didn't have so much $ in the 4pede. I know if I got the maxx, I'd have to get the wide kid, cvd's, likely different wheels/tires and eventually an unbreakable body because I'd drive the thing to death. So that's another $250 shortly after getting it. I'm assuming I can move over my servo, 4074 motor and 150A esc...
    This is exactly where I don't want to end up. A massive amount of money on the stampede, just to find it still doesn't do what I want. I've not spent too much on it yet, but I know as soon as start winding up the punch setting from minimum and hitting my ramp, it's gonna need upgrades! Looking at proper drive shafts and other bits I'd need, it's gonna quickly hit over half the cost of a new maxx!

I probably should have made it clearer in my first post, I've got an X-Maxx already, but it's just too big for the yard at home. Not by much, but enough. I wouldn't trade the X-Maxx for anything, it's just no good if I want a half hour jumping session at home.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RJUK View Post
    Great minds, I've been considering a Max this week also. I figure it would make a good skate park truck...

Dude! Your X-Maxx is king of the skate park! You don't need a maxx for that!

RC Racer
    Dude! Your X-Maxx is king of the skate park! You don't need a maxx for that!
    Yeah, but it's really big. The Maxx seems like it might stand up to the abuse better, being smaller and lighter. Also easier to transport there in the first place!

Quote Originally Posted by RJUK View Post
    Yeah, but it's really big. The Maxx seems like it might stand up to the abuse better, being smaller and lighter. Also easier to transport there in the first place!

My stampede 4x4 was fine until I started running it in a larger area. Then it felt a bit lacking. Even still, I had upgraded it quite a bit to get through a skate park bash session without failing on me or overheating. RPM arms, alloy axle carriers, Tekno center bone, MIP X-Duties, 17mm hubs, etc. That got me through a couple years of skate park bashing with it and a bit of offroad running.

When I started running 3S in it, I found it to be very very twitchy in the air, which is when I extended it with a slash chassis. That helped a lot. But around that time, I started running 6S in my big trucks and the stampede just felt weak/slow at the grass bmx track. Had a 3665/3100kv in it with a blx185 (150A) esc, geared ok for speed, but still was soft on torque and switched to a 4074 2200kv... then tried 4S... lol!

Now it's got the speed/power I was after, but I'm not sure I can keep it together. I haven't run it at a skate park since I started running 4S in it... have to imagine the air will be insane, as will the damage on any lawn dart landing. It hasn't fared too well at the grass bmx track, but most of the damage is from high speed big air jumps not landing well. Grass jumps are a bit more unpredictable than the concrete of a skate park.

It was the second brushless RC I bought, 4 years ago. It has had quite a life. Pretty much every part replaced/upgraded... to end up with the speed/power of a maxx 4s, but likely nowhere near the durability.

RC Qualifier
    Yea, there is only so much power a chassis can handle. 4S on a 4Pede may be one of them. Hehe, I run 6 inch tires on 3S on my 4Pede and itís a hand full at speed but bashes great.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I really like my P4de on 4S. Motor and gearing is appropriate, but the length does make it twitchy in the air, makes it a challenge for me though. Easiest jumping comes with the X-Maxx.

RC Qualifier
    Well, I've spent a lot of time thinking about this today, still not sure which way to go.
    I'm definitely selling the mini E-Revo, so once that's gone, I'll start to decide which way to go.

Well, I've spent a lot of time thinking about this today, still not sure which way to go.
    I'm definitely selling the mini E-Revo, so once that's gone, I'll start to decide which way to go.
    maxx maxx maxx maxx maxx maxx maxx MAXX MAXX MAXX

I'll live vicariously through you for the time being.

RC Qualifier
    Lol. I just need to do some adding up.

Will look forward to your future posts since your seemingly on the same path as I am. Interested in what you kind of experience you have with it vs a maxxed out stampede.

My pede is as upgraded as you can get. It's great! Fast as heck, fun with jumps, land missile when you want.

I will probably always keep it since it's my first rc(well parts of it).l, but I drive my Maxx the most and it is so durable. I haven't upgraded anything yet. No need to listen to all that say you have to go wide as soon as you get it... You don't! Drive it and upgrade as desired.

The maxx handles a lot like my monster slash, but way tougher.

RC Qualifier
    Well, the decision has been made. I'm building a Maxx up.
    I saw some cheap diffs on eBay, which nearly did anyway, then a mate needed driveshafts for his kids truck (VXL power keep trashing his) so he's had my upgrades.
    Gave me the final push to dive in. I'll start a thread in the Maxx section, I'll no doubt need help building the thing up. So far I have diff on the way & electrics from the stampede!

RC Racer
    Collecting my Maxx from Morrisons later, with Widemaxx kit. Everything else has arrived, so could be a busy night!

RC Qualifier
    If it's like your X-Maxx, I'll be drive my maxx conversion before you drive your new maxx

RC Racer
    If it's like your X-Maxx, I'll be drive my maxx conversion before you drive your new maxx
    Probably!

RC Qualifier
    Lol. The race is on

RC Racer
    Just taped and goo'd the body...

I have two kids under 5 though, so spare time is not something I'm rich in! Hence why I just taped and goo'd the body in the dark, outside, with a battery light, after they were put to bed!

RC Qualifier
    Lol. You're definitely gonna win. I just looked at the cost of shockers and nearly dropped my phone!

RC Racer
    Well I still need to swap the connectors and fit the Widemaxx kit, but yes - I'd hope I'd win! Hoping to have either the Xmaxx or the Maxx up and running by next weekend, if not both!

RC Champion
    Congrats on your new Maxx! Iíve had a couple stampedes, a Slash2wd, several Slash 4x4, Rustler 4x4 and an XMaxx, love my XMaxx! Slash 4x4 is tons of fun, but even after mods does not take well to skatepark and big air bashing, Iíve broken chassis, knuckles, a-arms, center drive shaft, rx box, body mounts, shock towers, bulkheads, and of course bodies lol. Slash 4x4 is most fun out of those that Iíve owned, being the king XMaxx of course! Youíve madeS good choice on the Maxx and Iíve been thinking about one too for neighborhood/yard since I drive me Slash so hard.

Edit, IMO the wide kit is unnecessary but thatís personal preference.
    Last edited by Natedog; Yesterday at 10:57 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the reply.
    I'm still building the maxx platform up, so I've not driven it jet, but definitely looks like it will take a beating more than the stampede ever could. The weight difference between the 2 trucks is incredible though! I keep reading you should keep the maxx as light as possible, I think they must be having a laugh.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
    Congrats on your new Maxx! Iíve had a couple stampedes, a Slash2wd, several Slash 4x4, Rustler 4x4 and an XMaxx, love my XMaxx! Slash 4x4 is tons of fun, but even after mods does not take well to skatepark and big air bashing, Iíve broken chassis, knuckles, a-arms, center drive shaft, rx box, body mounts, shock towers, bulkheads, and of course bodies lol. Slash 4x4 is most fun out of those that Iíve owned, being the king XMaxx of course! Youíve madeS good choice on the Maxx and Iíve been thinking about one too for neighborhood/yard since I drive me Slash so hard.

Edit, IMO the wide kit is unnecessary but thatís personal preference.
    I was wondering whether I should have bought the Widemaxx kit, then took the Maxx out for the first time this weekend. I'm now sure I should fit it. The Maxx just loves to tip over in stock form, so that extra width will come in handy. I started fitting it last night.