RC poster

Problem with wheels rotation

Hi, I've got a brand new rustler 4x4 vxl, and after some jumps and race every wheel seems to go zig zag, not precisely straight ahead.
    I don't know I can risolve.
    I'm a principiant buy I tried to disassemble it but apparently i've found anything wrong.
    Can you help me...please?

RC Racer
    I've had this problem for like forever. I don't think they ever truly track straight when the wheels are in the air but I could be wrong. On my old 2wd rustler I did add some shims to some of the steering components and that seemed to help a bit. My 4x4 kinda sounds like yours though, no matter what adjustments I make the car will not track straight.
    rustler vxl " Stealth from below"

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ema View Post
    Hi, I've got a brand new rustler 4x4 vxl, and after some jumps and race every wheel seems to go zig zag, not precisely straight ahead.
    I'm a principiant buy I tried to disassemble it but apparently i've found anything wrong.
    No exactly sure if u mean it like a wheel/tire issue?? (Tires not glued on straight, bad wheel bearings, loose pivot balls, wallowed out plastic driveshaft-u-joint-holes,) are all things that come to my mind to check. Also, the center driveshaft, FRONT "hub" (the splined piece attached to differential output) my screw pin would back out constantly and rub the bellcrank on one or the other direction while turning. Caused me lots of grief till i sorted it out

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ema View Post
    Have you tried dialing your camber and steering arms in? Sometimes they can get jiggled loose and do all sorts of crazy stuff. My 2wd rustler has to be adjusted every few runs, as the camber gets thrown off by the rough gravel I run on. There should be a small wrench that came with your car. The camber and steering rods have a hex nut in the middle that you can lock the wrench into and lengthen or shorten them to bring the wheels in straight. It can be a pain to eyeball it, but if you can get them halfway straight it'll be an improvement. RPM also sells camber and toe-in gauges that work pretty well. Each one runs about $8 or $9, and you can get them from most online hobby shops or Amazon.

Just got a 4x4 rustler myself, and live it so far. Hope you get your issue figured out, and don't be afraid to ask questions!

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Trx4newb View Post
    No exactly sure if u mean it like a wheel/tire issue?? (Tires not glued on straight, bad wheel bearings, loose pivot balls, wallowed out plastic driveshaft-u-joint-holes,) are all things that come to my mind to check. Also, the center driveshaft, FRONT "hub" (the splined piece attached to differential output) my screw pin would back out constantly and rub the bellcrank on one or the other direction while turning. Caused me lots of grief till i sorted it out

I'm starting to think the plastic steering linkage can also be an issue. I know a lot of people talk about changing it out for metal and loosing a lot of play. And I notice my steering has the most play with the toe links connecting to the plastic linkage.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by djbird1xx View Post
    I'm starting to think the plastic steering linkage can also be an issue. I know a lot of people talk about changing it out for metal and loosing a lot of play. And I notice my steering has the most play with the toe links connecting to the plastic linkage.
    While I agree with you, I personally swamped to an aluminum bill crank/steering setup with bearings instead of bushings, and within a week tops, still got some slop

First, before you start messing around with the turnbuckles (and possibly creating an even worse problem), have you tried turning down the stabilization? The problem you described (given the limiteount of info you provided) has happened to a lot of people, and, for the majorituy of them, turning down the stabilization "fixes" thoblem.

There are ttwo dials oin the Tx...one labeled "Steering", and one labeled "Multi-Function". The one labeled "Steering" is your trim, and is what you use for centering the servo, to make the vehicle go straight. The one labeled "Multi-Function"...that's the one you should try turning down. My guess is, you probably have it turned past 50%, and possibly have it close to (if not at) 100%. WHen I was still using the Traxxas Tx & Rx, I discovered that the "sweet spot" was anywhere from 25-50%, with the 'best' setting around 30-40%. Any higher, and my vehicles would start doing exactly what you, and many others, have described. Give that a try, and see if it "fixes" the problem.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    First, before you start messing around with the turnbuckles (and possibly creating an even worse problem), have you tried turning down the stabilization? The problem you described (given the limiteount of info you provided) has happened to a lot of people, and, for the majorituy of them, turning down the stabilization "fixes" thoblem.

There are ttwo dials oin the Tx...one labeled "Steering", and one labeled "Multi-Function". The one labeled "Steering" is your trim, and is what you use for centering the servo, to make the vehicle go straight. The one labeled "Multi-Function"...that's the one you should try turning down. My guess is, you probably have it turned past 50%, and possibly have it close to (if not at) 100%. WHen I was still using the Traxxas Tx & Rx, I discovered that the "sweet spot" was anywhere from 25-50%, with the 'best' setting around 30-40%. Any higher, and my vehicles would start doing exactly what you, and many others, have described. Give that a try, and see if it "fixes" the problem.

I think he has a point. Turn tsm off and see how the car behave. I have many issues with tsm on. Normally loss of steering on my larger cars once servo gets hot and some weird straight line tire wiggling. So I just run with tsm off. Car acts up and it's cuz tsm got bumped back on.

It is the multifunction dial on TX

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post

Thank you for mentioning this little factoid, it's been so long since I used the original TX/RX, that I forgot all about TSM. Lol!
    But you're exactly right if it's not tire specific-"wobble", then it is definitely TSM trying its best to keep your vehicle centered, but they didn't realize is TSM actually amplifies any slight looseness in any moving suspension parts front or rear of vehicle! Turn multifunction all the way down to the left and let us know what happens!

Quote Originally Posted by djbird1xx View Post
    This is what im thinking. My rustler 4x4 steering is incredibly sloppy. I haven't tries to tighten the servo savers but i dont think thats going to help much.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

Yeah, the steering bellcranks aren't the best, but if it's relatively new it shouldn't be terribly loose. I would check the TSM first (turn the multifunction knob all the way down, as mentioned before), and if it's not that, see how much play there is in the front steering.

My slash 4x4 pulls left under hard acceleration partially due to an incredible amount of slop, and partially due to a loose servo saver (can't actually steer the car by much unless it's driving), but it is a really old car (don't know the exactly how old, since I got it second hand, but I think it's safe to say at least 3 years since it came with the older shock cap design).
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Competitor
    I’m wondering if maybe OP is talking about the toe on the wheels, rather than it tracking funny.

Are the wheels crooked when still? Front wheels pointing out, and rear wheels pointing in? That’s normal. “Toe out” in front and “toe in” in back. Also a little wiggle is normal too.

As far as the servo saver (for you other folks) I had too much play after I switched to MX28s and the 2250 servo. I took the saver apart and fit an Ultra shock preload shim in the spring cup (had to trim off the pull tab and a little off one “arm”) and it really tightened it up nicely. It was the second-thinnest one; maybe 2mm? Hardest part is keeping the collar on while slipping the top bearing back in place. Had to use a crescent wrench to keep it down because the spring was too strong for my fingers.
    I think I read about the shim in an old thread on this forum... Thanks to whomever figured that one out!
    -rb

RC Racer
    So I figured out my issue I've been having for a while and maybe I can help OP. The steering link that connects from my servo to the steering linkage had worn out. After having issues with too much slop, one day my wheels just stopped turning. Thinking it was the servo, I was disassembling and the joint connecting that link to the servo had worn the plastic and just fell out. I ordered Traxxas part 7438 and now my steering is tight.

I think I also may have found a metal steering link set better than the hobbypark ones. I just broke a plastic steering bellcrank and saw someone on a recent post recommend the Hot Racing metal set. I just ordered and reviews look very promising, so hopefully that tightens it up more too.