RC Competitor

Help with new motor

Just bought the CC Monster X 1512combo.

Will I need a BEC? If so, what is recommended?
    Should I go center diff or slipper?

Also up for other mods.

Current mods:
    MIP Driveshafts
    Linsford Titanium Turnbuckles
    GTR shocks
    ProLine 2.8 MX Badlands
    TBR Front Bumper
    TBR Chassis Plate
    TBR Rear Bumper
    Traxxas Aluminum Steering Blocks
    Traxxas Aluminum Caster Blocks
    Traxxas Aluminum Stub Axles
    King Headz Aluminum Motor Mount
    MKS HBL550 Servo
    Traxxas Spiral Cut Front/Rear Gears
    MIP 17mm Adapters
    ProLine 17mm Hex Adapters
    Traxxas Chassis Brace
    Flysky GT5 RX/TX

Looks good, so far...and, looks like you've copied my setup...which, technically, isn't "mine", as others have similar option parts installed. My only piece of advise would be to thoroughly test them motor & ESC before installing. You didn't mention the kV of the motor you went with, but I can tell you that a few of us have recently gotten that combo, with the 2650kV motor, and there's was some sort of "problem" (defective motors and/or ESC). I sent mine in almost two weeks ago (should be heading back to me soon), another just sent his in a few days ago so and a third is still trying to resolve the problem without sending it in.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Competitor
    A BEC is built in to that ESC, so you shouldn’t need another one. I got my local hobby shop to bump my mmx8s BEC output voltage with their CastleLink (I don’t own a computer so needed to find a workaround) and was so happy I did. Just check the max input voltage on your steering servo and receiver before you select which voltage to use.

I’m using a Sidewinder 8th and a 1515 in my Rustler, and I just locked the slipper all the way down. Runs great on 4S. 6S is too much for pretty much anybody’s axles with those tires, but I feel like the 1512 doesn’t do 6S anyways so you should be good to go! Surprisingly the differentials and even the plastic spur gear are taking the abuse like a champ.

-rb

The internal BEC seems pretty good, so having an external BEC wouldn't really increase steering performance.

As for a center differential or slipper clutch, it really depends on how you want it to drive. The slipper clutch splits the power 50/50 to the front and rear regardless of how much traction each axle is getting, and it also helps to absorb some of the mechanical energy to protect the drivetrain. The center differential, however, splits more power to the axle with less resistance, so when you are accelerating hard, more power will be in the front wheels, and when you are braking hard, more power will be transferred to the rear wheels. You can also adjust how much power is transferred by changing the viscosity of the oil in the center differential.

If you are going with the slipper, it is a good idea to do the Revo slipper clutch mod (with the aluminum bearing adapter) since you have a much larger motor. If you are going with the center differential, then you can either get the newer version (that comes on the Hoss) or get the older version with an aluminum casing.

Hope this helps!
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Looks good, so far...and, looks like you've copied my setup...which, technically, isn't "mine", as others have similar option parts installed. My only piece of advise would be to thoroughly test them motor & ESC before installing. You didn't mention the kV of the motor you went with, but I can tell you that a few of us have recently gotten that combo, with the 2650kV motor, and there's was some sort of "problem" (defective motors and/or ESC). I sent mine in almost two weeks ago (should be heading back to me soon), another just sent his in a few days ago so and a third is still trying to resolve the problem without sending it in.

I honestly looked at your builds and pretty much changed the front shocks (both are GTR XL), the driveshafts, and I run the Robinson Racing slipper. Iirc you run the center diff.

I want the 2650kv combo, hopefully I don't get a dud.

Quote Originally Posted by dllnwtsn View Post
    I honestly looked at your builds and pretty much changed the front shocks (both are GTR XL), the driveshafts, and I run the Robinson Racing slipper. Iirc you run the center diff.

I want the 2650kv combo, hopefully I don't get a dud.
    Until recently, I was running the RR Slipper Unit. The primary reason I switched was to get rid of the hardened steel spur.

RC Competitor
    Until recently, I was running the RR Slipper Unit. The primary reason I switched was to get rid of the hardened steel spur.

Why didn't you like the steel slipper?

Quote Originally Posted by dllnwtsn View Post
    Why didn't you like the steel slipper?
    Never said I "didn't like it". For the gearing I was running at the time, and the 4100kV motor on 2S, it worked fantastic. However, running that deep in 3S proved...uh...'problematic'? Lol. If you read my "Introducing the E-Jato" thread, you'd discover what happened when Rusty-Frankie (my nickname for the vehicle in that 'life') decided to 'audition' for Cirque du Soleil. In short, it wasn't pretty.

Now, if you read the rebuild thread ("Rust 'n Ash"), you'll see that I've switched the ESC & motor (from HW XR8 SCT & 4100kV, to Castle Mamba Monster X & 1512 (1/8 motor) 2650kV), so that she'll be running 3S, with occasional (but extremely rare) 4S runs. With the new setup, I decided it was 'smarter' to run a center diff, instead of a slipper. I also decided it was 'smarter' to run a (strong) plastic spur & steel pinion (as opposed to the previous hardened steel spur & pinion).

As for the RR Slipper, It'll (eventually) find it's way into another 4x4 vehicle...just haven't decided which. But, my best "guess" would be the speed-run Sl4sh I'm planning, which will also be running a 1/8 motor, center mounted above the slipper/center-diff, and will be running 8S (2x 4S in-series), powered by an as-yet-undecided ESC.

RC Competitor
    Never said I "didn't like it". For the gearing I was running at the time, and the 4100kV motor on 2S, it worked fantastic. However, running that deep in 3S proved...uh...'problematic'? Lol. If you read my "Introducing the E-Jato" thread, you'd discover what happened when Rusty-Frankie (my nickname for the vehicle in that 'life') decided to 'audition' for Cirque du Soleil. In short, it wasn't pretty.

Now, if you read the rebuild thread ("Rust 'n Ash"), you'll see that I've switched the ESC & motor (from HW XR8 SCT & 4100kV, to Castle Mamba Monster X & 1512 (1/8 motor) 2650kV), so that she'll be running 3S, with occasional (but extremely rare) 4S runs. With the new setup, I decided it was 'smarter' to run a center diff, instead of a slipper. I also decided it was 'smarter' to run a (strong) plastic spur & steel pinion (as opposed to the previous hardened steel spur & pinion).

As for the RR Slipper, It'll (eventually) find it's way into another 4x4 vehicle...just haven't decided which. But, my best "guess" would be the speed-run Sl4sh I'm planning, which will also be running a 1/8 motor, center mounted above the slipper/center-diff, and will be running 8S (2x 4S in-series), powered by an as-yet-undecided ESC.

I'm on the fence of getting the center diff. I only use my Rusty for ripping around, jumping, hill climbs, going through mud etc.

Would the CD be better?