MT wheels with 17mm hex

I have some old sets of wheels and tires that are the MT wheel size of 3.2 and I would like to upgrade them. I'm looking for wheels with the bigger 17mm hex. The 14mm hex are great for the nitro trucks, but I don't think they will hold up to brushless power. The reason for the change is so I can run them on my Maxx. Thanks

Is there a question in there?

Are you looking for 3.2" 17mm wheels? RPM has a couple 3.2" 17mm wheels:

https://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/w...x-offset-17mm/

https://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/w...d-offset-17mm/

Not that many 3.2" tires I can think of off the top of my head except the one by Traxxas:
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/4970

ProLine has 3.8" 17mm wheel/tire combos:
    https://www.prolineracing.com/1-8-monster-truck-tires/

Good luck and have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Oops sorry Squeegie. My bad.

Yes I am looking for 3.2" 17mm wheels. I already have the tires (from the T-maxx days). I have a couple of sets of those exact Traxxas chevron tires too! LoL. I looked at the RPM ones, but they say discontinued and not available. I've been looking and not much out there for that size.

Maybe someone has cut them down to fit on a 3.8" wheel?

Hmmm... how about HPI:

Scroll down to their "1/8 Monster Truck Wheels 17mm hex" section:
    https://www.hpiracing.com/en/product_category/W8M

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Hmmm... how about HPI:

Scroll down to their "1/8 Monster Truck Wheels 17mm hex" section:
    https://www.hpiracing.com/en/product_category/W8M
    I never had good luck with HPI 17mm wheels, even on my nitro's. They would strip the hex's.

Too bad RPM doesn't over the 3.2's anymore... I used to run those on a lot of tires. Have a couple still glued up.

I have 3 or 4 sets of 3.2 tires still around, guess it's time to just get rid of them. Doubt I can cut them even enough to try and fit them to 3.8's without them being way out of balance...
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

Would this be more like what you are wanting? Proline Desperado 17mm hex rims https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m811...ADL%20Shopping

Me I'd get 17mm Dish Rims like Proline Velocity rims and dye them. The dish rims really help keep much out of your axle carriers, strong, light and can handle all the power you've got.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

I was trying to find any 3.2" wheels with a 17mm hex to fit the MT tires of days past, lol. I have a set of badlands that I want to swap over.

I looked into the Proline Velocity rims and I don't think they will work. I looks like they are only about 1 1/2" wide.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    I was trying to find any 3.2" wheels with a 17mm hex to fit the MT tires of days past, lol. I have a set of badlands that I want to swap over.

I looked into the Proline Velocity rims and I don't think they will work. I looks like they are only about 1 1/2" wide.
    I have them on my TMAXX that I used to race...... They were made for buggies (probably what you saw) and Truggies (which is what I used on my TMAXX when I raced)... I'd show you pics but they are on Photobucket....

I just did a little research... Nobody made 17mm hex wheels in 3.2" diameter that I can see. When 17mm Hex wheels were pretty much 3.8" diameter. I just checked my old Racemaxx and they are 3.8" diameter as well....

What about using 14mm Hex's and put aluminum hex's on your axles??

Last edited by Nitronaught; 02-22-2021 at 03:14 PM.
    All Lives Matter

I need to look in my bins... I have a set of plastic 3.2 beadlock wheels I have never ran. I don't remember what they were, but I doubt they are still produced.

Have fun!

I need to look in my bins... I have a set of plastic 3.2 beadlock wheels I have never ran. I don't remember what they were, but I doubt they are still produced.

Have fun!
    Might have been maximizers. I had those too. lol!

That name definitely rings a bell... Good call!

That name definitely rings a bell... Good call!
    Used to run those on a savage for a bit... could never get them to hold up well though, kept popping out of the bead.

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    Used to run those on a savage for a bit... could never get them to hold up well though, kept popping out of the bead.

Not 14Mmm Hex and 3.2" tire... I think the O.P. needs to re-evaluate 3.2" and do what most of us did and go 3.8" and have more wheel/tire options...
    All Lives Matter

Big thanks to Squeegie!

While searching I can find 3.2(MT) 17mm hex wheels made by RPM, HPI, and even found a pair of Maximizer beadlocks. The hard part was to find a matching set as they are all discontinued. Finally I found a complete set of "Revolver" 17mm hex "StableMaxx" RPM wheels on Ebay.

Now just waiting for the glue on the old tires to dissolve so I can mount them up on these.

Great news! Hope all works out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    Not 14Mmm Hex and 3.2" tire... I think the O.P. needs to re-evaluate 3.2" and do what most of us did and go 3.8" and have more wheel/tire options...
    No, I understood what he was looking for. I know maximizer had the 17mm versions, forgot I had the 14mm versions on my savage at the time.

I too have 4-5 sets of old 3.2" MT tires sitting around that aren't dry rotted or damaged. Just never thought to order wheels to have on hand if they got discontinued to be able to mount them up and use them on various things. I have a set of road rage, hpi bonez, proline mulchers, t-maxx chevrons, savage GT1 and GT2 as well as a couple sets of imex tires. None of which have rims.

Big thanks to Squeegie!

While searching I can find 3.2(MT) 17mm hex wheels made by RPM, HPI, and even found a pair of Maximizer beadlocks. The hard part was to find a matching set as they are all discontinued. Finally I found a complete set of "Revolver" 17mm hex "StableMaxx" RPM wheels on Ebay.

Now just waiting for the glue on the old tires to dissolve so I can mount them up on these.
    And I didn't even think such a thing existed.... I looked for wheels even on Ebay and you have LUCKED OUT!!!! Just sold all 5 sets of rims and tires I need some room... RPM's are full offset, use good axle bearings, They are going to look nice!!!!
    All Lives Matter

RC Champion
    Big thanks to Squeegie!

Are these rims plastic or metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    Are these rims plastic or metal.
    Plastic. But they feel much more harder/durable than the Traxxas rims.

RC Champion
    Plastic. But they feel much more harder/durable than the Traxxas rims.
    Ok thanks, just looking through the holes, they look like shiny aluminum showing through. They look good, also looking forward to seeing them mounted.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dawg View Post
    Ok thanks, just looking through the holes, they look like shiny aluminum showing through. They look good, also looking forward to seeing them mounted.
    I've had 3 sets of RPM rims, good quality, tough and works great... Not heard anyone have a valid complaint about their rims ever....
    All Lives Matter

First time ever trying to un-glue tires. Quite the experience I had.

I don't remember who made the old rims, but wish I did. First I tried using Acetone fumes. Put the wheel/tire in a bucket and put a container of Acetone in there with them and let the fumes work. I've read where others have even sat their wheels/tires directly in the Acetone liquid and it worked great, no damage to either. Not mine.

My bad luck prevails, LoL! Here is what the wheel looks like only being exposed to Acetone fumes. The other wheel is what it should look like.

Ended up trying another method of boiling them. While it worked better at not melting the wheel, it still deformed them.

After my debacle, here are what the new RPM wheels look like mounted up on my old Badlands. I think they are going to look and work great!

Looks great... good job!

RC Qualifier
    Wow, thanks for posting that..I myself had a brief foray into tire ungluing.. it didn't go well and I trash canned all four trenchers..on the bright side I was the one that originally glued them so that part was done correctly..LOL

Nice job on the new ones they look pretty good!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I don't remember who made the old rims, but wish I did.
    Different offsets, but those old wheels remind me of my original E-Maxx 3906 wheels:

Yeah, those are a really wide offset whatever they are. I thought they were the old t-maxx rims until I noticed that.

At least you got the tires off and on some decent wheels. Was quietly hoping you found some good wheels so I could get a few sets for my old 3.2 tires...

RC Champion
    Wow grizzly03, those rims and tires turned out nice. Crazy what the fumes did to the other rims. When I boiled my Traxxas rims off I never had any deform but maybe the material used changed.