RC poster

Getting back into RC after 20+ years with a 2wd Slash

Whats up, all?

When I was a kid, I was obsessed with RC. My best friend and I built two tracks and would constantly be working on our cars.

Back then I big into Associated. I had the first RC10T and RC10GT when they came out. Also had RC10L and RC10 - looking back I cant believe I got rid of all of it for just a couple hundred bucks..... what I wouldnt give to have that lot back now....

I remember when Traxxas came out and my buddy got one of their trucks. Crap, I think that kid had 15 cars or something. His parents would just buy him a new car whenever he got bored - I was digging trenches for my dad for cash to fund my RC habit

When I was in college and ebay came out, all of a sudden there were tons of cars available for auction so I had a quick very shoestring-budget fling with a used RC10L - which was awesome - until I crashed it at very high speed and forgot about the tensile strength of fiberglass...

Anyways, the other day a coworker of mine texted me and said that he had a few batteries and was running them down on his Slash, a few miles away and did I wanna come out and give it a shot.

Well, Ive wanted a Slash since I started hearing about them years ago. Driving one was awesome and of course, back to ebay to see what was on there.

Long story longer, I found a 2wd with a couple batteries and a charger for (what I think) was a good price.

It should be here in a few days and im pumped. This truck with be the introduction to RC for both of my kids (7 and 3). Itll be interesting to see how the react.

Only problem I have is that I already have a garage full of motorcycles and a Jeep problem to boot....so I have to be careful or my wife may leave....I so wish I hadnt seen that Traxxas Unlimited Desert Racer..... I may have to get one of those someday. So flippin cool

RC Racer
    Hey!

So my partner and I just got a 2wd vxl slash, and we are both really impressed with it. We've been in the hobby for a little over a year, and have no regrets over the money we've blown on our two 2wd Rustlers, the new slash and a new 4x4 rustler. It's a good problem to have!

The slash is a great truck, and it's very adaptable and versatile. Not to mention they can MOVE with a good lipo and a brushless motor. We do a lot of off road bashing, so we went with an LCG chassis kit. It drops the truck about an inch and moves the electronics around to a more distributed weight setup. My favorite part with it is it protects the steering servo under a skid plate instead of having it dangling out the bottom of the chassis. A friend of mine who has a slash has had almost constant problems with damaged servos (largely because he sees a jump and just goes for it full send), so the lcg was a good investment.

You can turn that slash into just about anything, from an off-road beast to a drag racing nightmare. It really is one of the most versatile trucks out there, and can be tailored to your taste and the terrain you run on.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

RC poster
    That sounds like me last year. I took a 20 year break from the hobby. My first hobby grade rc was an rc10t2 with the midnight motor. Good times!
    Fast forward to last year I moved my old collection from the basement to the garage and started tinkering. I always thought the slash looked cool so I ordered a 2wd slash vxl.
    That was my intro to brushless and man it's a whole new world.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by sexyaardvark View Post
    That sounds like me last year. I took a 20 year break from the hobby. My first hobby grade rc was an rc10t2 with the midnight motor. Good times!
    Fast forward to last year I moved my old collection from the basement to the garage and started tinkering. I always thought the slash looked cool so I ordered a 2wd slash vxl.
    That was my intro to brushless and man it's a whole new world.

Yeah, im going to be ease in with a brushed setup but theres lots of room for upgrades!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
    Yeah, im going to be ease in with a brushed setup but theres lots of room for upgrades!

Good deal. We have a brushed as well and it's no joke. Enjoy!

There's tons of upgrades for the 2wd slash. I love my slash and will probably never get rid of it. I've been through all of it probably twice at least.

When i bought mine it was the xl5 like yours but shorty it became a vxl tsm 2wd monster slash. Its expensive, but its so much fun and ive got it to the point where it doesnt break every run. It can be a vicious cycle. But thats what we're here for.

Welcome back, we're happy you decided to come here.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

Welcome to Traxxas Forums!
    Glad to hear that you are enjoying this hobby!

There is more than enough room for upgrades! I think the aftermarket support is large enough to be able to build one with 100% aftermarket parts (which is kind of crazy). My first car is also a brushed Slash 2wd, and it is definitely one of my favorite cars to drive. Now it is brushless and has a long list of aftermarket stuff on it...
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Racer
    We had a similar start in RC as I had an RC10T back in '92. I ended up going down the Tamiya route with a King Blackfoot next, then when ebay hit, an OG Blackfoot, a Kyosho USA-1, and a Tamiya Baja Champ. Sold all of that after it sat for years in my shed and bought a Stampede and a Wheely King, then life happened and got out of RC for a while. Now I have a 2wd Slash that started as brushed and now has a Castle Sidewinder 4 and 1410 brushless motor in it. Hopefully next week I will be ordering up a 4wd Slash VXL to start my monster truck build from.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by devestator View Post
    We had a similar start in RC as I had an RC10T back in '92. I ended up going down the Tamiya route with a King Blackfoot next, then when ebay hit, an OG Blackfoot, a Kyosho USA-1, and a Tamiya Baja Champ. Sold all of that after it sat for years in my shed and bought a Stampede and a Wheely King, then life happened and got out of RC for a while. Now I have a 2wd Slash that started as brushed and now has a Castle Sidewinder 4 and 1410 brushless motor in it. Hopefully next week I will be ordering up a 4wd Slash VXL to start my monster truck build from.
    I had an OG Blackfoot in grade school....I can remember hating it.

its was probably partly my fault because I was young and may have assembled it incorrectly but lets face it - thats not a great truck

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615 View Post
    There's tons of upgrades for the 2wd slash. I love my slash and will probably never get rid of it. I've been through all of it probably twice at least.

When i bought mine it was the xl5 like yours but shorty it became a vxl tsm 2wd monster slash. Its expensive, but its so much fun and ive got it to the point where it doesnt break every run. It can be a vicious cycle. But thats what we're here for.

Welcome back, we're happy you decided to come here.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk
    hey thanks!

I dont even know what that means yet

but i will soon

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    Welcome to Traxxas Forums!
    Glad to hear that you are enjoying this hobby!

There is more than enough room for upgrades! I think the aftermarket support is large enough to be able to build one with 100% aftermarket parts (which is kind of crazy). My first car is also a brushed Slash 2wd, and it is definitely one of my favorite cars to drive. Now it is brushless and has a long list of aftermarket stuff on it...
    im not surprised about that at all. Traxxas has done a pretty amazing job in the industry, building up.

I found out about that Ultimate Desert Racer that they make the other day..... that thing is NUTS. I may have to sell a motorcycle and get one of those....

RC Enthusiast
    Hey eatpasta

I'm in a similar situation than you: a 6 and 8yo and just got into it end of Dec. Both got their 2WD Slashs brushed.
    Everything that breaks will just be replaced by RPM or similar. I replaced the OEM shock oil with a higher viscosity (now running 50 front and 70 rear instead of the 30 OEM).
    The 50% power on the ESC really helped for the first 3 weeks (they have already been impressed by the speed and I had the buffer in terms of crashing it), then I gave them full power, after 6 weeks kiddo 1 ran the front tires down and we upgraded to 2.8 Trenchers. Now I just got the motor upgrade through the Traxxas Power Up program (velineon 3500 + VXL-3s) for kiddo 2 and they got another speed upgrade. Next will be LiPo in a few weeks.

And the best thing:
    Having 2 same cars it's perfect to compare the upgrades. I'm always starting with one car and see how it works, then I can decide to buy the same or go for something else for the 2nd car :-)

It was really amazing how quickly they learned to drive! Today they're running their laps on kids BMX pump tracks and doing first "bigger jumps".
    Although I'm not allowed to drive their car and they just abuse me as mechanic, it's a great time! Have fun with your Slash.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Dad of a son View Post
    Hey eatpasta

I'm in a similar situation than you: a 6 and 8yo and just got into it end of Dec. Both got their 2WD Slashs brushed.
    Everything that breaks will just be replaced by RPM or similar. I replaced the OEM shock oil with a higher viscosity (now running 50 front and 70 rear instead of the 30 OEM).
    The 50% power on the ESC really helped for the first 3 weeks (they have already been impressed by the speed and I had the buffer in terms of crashing it), then I gave them full power, after 6 weeks kiddo 1 ran the front tires down and we upgraded to 2.8 Trenchers. Now I just got the motor upgrade through the Traxxas Power Up program (velineon 3500 + VXL-3s) for kiddo 2 and they got another speed upgrade. Next will be LiPo in a few weeks.

And the best thing:
    Having 2 same cars it's perfect to compare the upgrades. I'm always starting with one car and see how it works, then I can decide to buy the same or go for something else for the 2nd car :-)

It was really amazing how quickly they learned to drive! Today they're running their laps on kids BMX pump tracks and doing first "bigger jumps".
    Although I'm not allowed to drive their car and they just abuse me as mechanic, it's a great time! Have fun with your Slash.
    haha awesome!

My son hasnt shown much interest in anything besides Dinosaurs pretty much his entire life.

I would have killed to hang out in a garage full of jeeps and motorcycles as a kid, but he's just not into it. Thats totally fine - I just dont quite know how to deal with a highly scientific mind... haha.

we will see if he's into the Slash at all - the truck wont even get here till next week

Last edited by cooleocool; 02-24-2021 at 03:42 AM. Reason: language abuse

RC Racer
    I had an OG Blackfoot in grade school....I can remember hating it.

its was probably partly my fault because I was young and may have assembled it incorrectly but lets face it - thats not a great truck
    Oh, it was total garbage compared to my King Blackfoot. I bought it mostly because when I was a kid, I wanted one in the worst way and my parents thought it was too expensive at the time (though they eventually sprung for that RC10T 7 years later). One of those things of chasing down your heroes. Partially why I bought the USA-1 as well. Always wanted a Clodbuster, never was able to get one and when the opportunity arose, I debated between the two for a while. I probably should have gone Clod anyway, but oh well.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by devestator View Post
    Oh, it was total garbage compared to my King Blackfoot. I bought it mostly because when I was a kid, I wanted one in the worst way and my parents thought it was too expensive at the time (though they eventually sprung for that RC10T 7 years later). One of those things of chasing down your heroes. Partially why I bought the USA-1 as well. Always wanted a Clodbuster, never was able to get one and when the opportunity arose, I debated between the two for a while. I probably should have gone Clod anyway, but oh well.
    my buddy had a Clodbuster - i remember taht being a really big deal. Wat do you mean its got TWO ENGINES?! It didnt seem real

modified ones at the time were the pinnacle of awesome. I remember he had an AWD Optima too which blew my mind as well.

RC poster
    I had a chance to run down two batteries in front of my house and I have to say that this is a really cool truck!

Brushed is easily fast enough for me for a loonnnng time. Sharp handling, decent suspension but this one needs to be dialed in for sure. The PO was either lazy or had some weird setup ideas with toe in, caster etc.

My first upgrade is absolutely going to be batteries. I got maybe 10-15 minutes with what I would considering light to moderate throttle..... not good at all.

Still havent gotten it into the dirt. Very much looking forward to that! The truck is actually so clean that i almost hate to even bring it into the dirt. It almost looks like the PO only used it on the street. Crazy how clean it is....

RC Racer
    I had a chance to run down two batteries in front of my house and I have to say that this is a really cool truck!

Brushed is easily fast enough for me for a loonnnng time. Sharp handling, decent suspension but this one needs to be dialed in for sure. The PO was either lazy or had some weird setup ideas with toe in, caster etc.

My first upgrade is absolutely going to be batteries. I got maybe 10-15 minutes with what I would considering light to moderate throttle..... not good at all.

Still havent gotten it into the dirt. Very much looking forward to that! The truck is actually so clean that i almost hate to even bring it into the dirt. It almost looks like the PO only used it on the street. Crazy how clean it is....
    The Traxxas 2s lipo batteries are pretty good; definetly give you more run time and speed out of it. Just watch your motor temps; lipos can overheat a brushed motor pretty quick.

Also, the slash is a whole different beast off-road. I'd say it may be a good idea to invest in some off-road tires for it. Lots of options for the slash, just make sure they're 2.2/3.0 tires. Another good mod for offroading is the LCG chassis. It's time consuming to swap it out, but really worth it. It'll also help the truck turn and handle better.

If you decide to go brushless, the velineon systems that come with the Traxxas VXL models are actually decent motors. They don't have a ton of power compared to some of the more expensive systems, but they're really reliable, and since it's a Traxxas system, you don't have to worry as much about setting it up; just swap the motor and speed control out and adjust your gearing a little bit.

Glad to see you're enjoying it so far! The slash is a great truck, and you can set it up pretty much however you want!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethMiller19 View Post
    The Traxxas 2s lipo batteries are pretty good; definetly give you more run time and speed out of it. Just watch your motor temps; lipos can overheat a brushed motor pretty quick.

Also, the slash is a whole different beast off-road. I'd say it may be a good idea to invest in some off-road tires for it. Lots of options for the slash, just make sure they're 2.2/3.0 tires. Another good mod for offroading is the LCG chassis. It's time consuming to swap it out, but really worth it. It'll also help the truck turn and handle better.

If you decide to go brushless, the velineon systems that come with the Traxxas VXL models are actually decent motors. They don't have a ton of power compared to some of the more expensive systems, but they're really reliable, and since it's a Traxxas system, you don't have to worry as much about setting it up; just swap the motor and speed control out and adjust your gearing a little bit.

Glad to see you're enjoying it so far! The slash is a great truck, and you can set it up pretty much however you want!

yeah, they seem super versatile for sure. I'm going to keep mine mostly stock I think. After a while, I may go for a Brushless upgrade but we will see.

im working two and sometimes three jobs right now and sometimes dont even have days off for a few weeks, so not tons of time to put into it but i have some ideas.

RC Enthusiast
    As mentioned, the LCG chassis is a really good upgrade, especially for the 2WD trucks. If you get any time, it takes about 2 hours to swap out. I've done it to 4 of my trucks and it definitely makes a difference in handling. BTW, are you "eatpasta" from the Adventure Rider forums?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootern29 View Post
    As mentioned, the LCG chassis is a really good upgrade, especially for the 2WD trucks. If you get any time, it takes about 2 hours to swap out. I've done it to 4 of my trucks and it definitely makes a difference in handling. BTW, are you "eatpasta" from the Adventure Rider forums?
    crap....ive been spotted...

RC poster
    Ill have to look into that - thanks for the tip! What differences in the handling did you notice....?

RC Enthusiast
    I figured you were one in the same. What I noticed is the truck feels more planted in the corners and not as top heavy. It also seemed more stable in choppy terrain.

RC poster
    I figured you were one in the same. What I noticed is the truck feels more planted in the corners and not as top heavy. It also seemed more stable in choppy terrain.
    roger that. based on the cost of the new chassis, that sounds like a solid upgrade....

Ill probably do that second. Lipo's first!

RC Racer
    The lcg definetly plants the truck down and makes it easier to turn at higher speeds. I also like that it distributes the weight of the electronics more evenly across the chassis instead of having all the weight in the back. For sure helps it keep from rolling over as easy.

Another plus is that it moves the steering servo from the stock location to a more protected spot up under the front skid plate. If you plan on jumping it or hitting rough terrain, the servo can get beat on with the stock chassis.

RC poster
    Well, I finally managed to get out and actually drive the truck. It only came with nimh batteries but a neighbor of mine gave me one of his 2S lipos and holy crap. It just transformed it into a little beast. Canít believe the difference!

Took me hours to get it cleaned up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Well, I finally managed to get out and actually drive the truck. It only came with nimh batteries but a neighbor of mine gave me one of his 2S lipos and holy crap. It just transformed it into a little beast. Canít believe the difference!

Took me hours to get it cleaned up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Love the body color. If you still have the brushed motor, watch your engine temps with the lipo. Those little Titan motors heat up pretty fast.

Good to see someone slinging some mud on it; glad you're having fun!

Little known fact:. Slapping your favorite sticker on an R/C body DOES make it go faster.

RC poster
    similar situation here, about twenty years ago i was into RC a little and really enjoyed the hobby. I liked nitro stuff back then with a Traxxas T-maxx 3.3 being my favorite truck of all time but was also into flying a little with a Hobbico nitro trainer which was really fun as well. I recently walked into a Traxxas store local to me and after looking around a few minutes I didn't see any nitro stuff on the shelves just all electric so I asked one the guys there and they said they didn't carry nitro in stores anymore due to the demand in electric they basically said nitro was a dinosaur because of the advances in electric. well, me being stubborn I went home and bought a nitro traxxas revo on ebay that was supposed to be RTR but after spending an additional $150 at the hobby shop trying to get it to run I returned it and got a refund and then went back to the hobby shop and bought a Slash VXL 2wd brushless set up. I got a lipo battery with it and was playing with it out of the box so now I get it, this truck is really fast and in fact i hit a concrete wall the first time i drove it and chipped the chassis and broke the body LOL, it also broke a rear wheel but i glued it back and it works but I just bought some wheels that are a little too big for the body to fit, will this make me burn the spur gear up? anyways, fun to dip my toes back in the RC game although it isn't cheap.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by bottlejunkie View Post
    similar situation here, about twenty years ago i was into RC a little and really enjoyed the hobby. I liked nitro stuff back then with a Traxxas T-maxx 3.3 being my favorite truck of all time but was also into flying a little with a Hobbico nitro trainer which was really fun as well. I recently walked into a Traxxas store local to me and after looking around a few minutes I didn't see any nitro stuff on the shelves just all electric so I asked one the guys there and they said they didn't carry nitro in stores anymore due to the demand in electric they basically said nitro was a dinosaur because of the advances in electric. well, me being stubborn I went home and bought a nitro traxxas revo on ebay that was supposed to be RTR but after spending an additional $150 at the hobby shop trying to get it to run I returned it and got a refund and then went back to the hobby shop and bought a Slash VXL 2wd brushless set up. I got a lipo battery with it and was playing with it out of the box so now I get it, this truck is really fast and in fact i hit a concrete wall the first time i drove it and chipped the chassis and broke the body LOL, it also broke a rear wheel but i glued it back and it works but I just bought some wheels that are a little too big for the body to fit, will this make me burn the spur gear up? anyways, fun to dip my toes back in the RC game although it isn't cheap.
    To run bigger tires, you'll probably have to change up the gearing and possibly trim the fenders on the body. The slash is great on the stock size tires, but the ones that come with the truck are kinda meh. I never ran a nitro, but some older enthusiasts that I've talked to at the park have said that they prefer the newer electric models. They're easier to maintain and repair, and you can get pretty close to the same performance out of them. The slash is a great place to start, and it's ridiculously versatile and can take mods for all sorts of applications. We put an LCG chassis on ours for offroading, and I'm using the stock chassis (still brand new) to build a monster slash from scratch. Just finished the transmission; waiting on another paycheck for the next parts.

Little known fact:. Slapping your favorite sticker on an R/C body DOES make it go faster.

RC poster
    took it out for a test and found: it does too much wheelies and flips too easy. I barely clipped a curb and...

a run to the hobby shop tomorrow.

RC Racer
    took it out for a test and found: it does too much wheelies and flips too easy. I barely clipped a curb and...

a run to the hobby shop tomorrow.
    If you go back to the stock tire size in the back, it might not wheelie as much, and probably put less stress on the wheel carriers in the back.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethMiller19 View Post
    If you go back to the stock tire size in the back, it might not wheelie as much, and probably put less stress on the wheel carriers in the back.

will buy the appropriate size tomorrow along with what I need to fix this but will definitely keep these wheels.

RC Racer
    will buy the appropriate size tomorrow along with what I need to fix this but will definitely keep these wheels.
    I think I have a set of those same tires I ordered by accident. Ran them on the back of one of our 2wd Rustlers for a little while, til it started causing problems. I kept them, though, and think I'm gonna use them on my monster slash project, at least for a little while just for laughs. It'll have a lifted stance, though, and I'm setting up the trans and everything to deal with the extra weight and bulk.